SATA power cable

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Vitminc, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Vitminc

Vitminc New Member

I've found that a type of the SATA power cable in the shop is changed (at least yesterday it was different). It was before normal 4-Pin connector. Now it's something other. Since I've thought it's normal one, I've not preorder it.
    My questions:
    - What type of the SATA power connector has Udoo x86?
    - Is it possible to buy it somewhere in other place?
    - If it's not possible, how I can add it to my preorder list?

Before

[​IMG]
    Now
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

As far as I can see looking at the picture they have changed the plug on the end that goes to the power supply from a molex connection to the type used with floppy disks

3. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

41N4j6LCHQL.jpg x86_bottomedit.jpg SATA5v power2.jpg I already posted an edited version of the diagram. The connect might have 4 pins but ONLY uses 3 of them. Reality is, you only need 2, 5V and ground to make your own cables. Here is an example cable that would work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019O2882G
    Just connect the red wire to the 5V pin and the black to either ground. Here is a picture showing that Dupont style 2 pin connector will plug into the socket.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    papman and Markus Laire like this.
  4. Jetguy

Jetguy Member

IMG_0528.JPG No, it is not the floppy disk style connector. I wish I new the exact model of these sockets, but like I said, a Dupont style fits and works.
    [​IMG]

Shaun Kendall and Markus Laire like this.
  5. Vitminc

Vitminc New Member

Thank you, Jetguy.

Your answer is very-very useful.

Is it not the same like used in Banana Pi?
    What is exact size of the plug and distance between pins?

It will be also interesting to get official answer from Udoo team.

Banana Pi cable:
    [​IMG]

6. xulmar

xulmar New Member

What a wonderful world would it be if the UDOO X86 had a standard SATA connector on the bottom, facing inward, and just snapping a 2.5' SSD on the underside, instead of a clunky bunch of random cables in all directions. I mean, 2.5 is still the standard and it'd fit snugly under the board next to the M.2 - I realize there may have been technical+cost reasons - and I'm just dreaming here tbh.

It seems that the only way to properly use the board is with M.2 SSD, which is - unless you want to spend a lot of money - a subpar option, especially the 2240 and 2260 versions which are both scarce and more expensive ( in these parts o' town ).

At the same time, it makes using secondary HDD harder - with the only proper cable being available at UDOO and obscure Chinese websites.

You may say, why didn't I preorder the cable? My mind couldn't accomplish the level of imagination of required that the lack of a SATA power port would be a thing. Should've checked better.

The rant ends here, and I'm out to get a M.2 SSD so I can use the board properly ( without having to carry around an octopus of cables ), not an entirely welcome expense.

7. wsian

wsian New Member

Just take note that bananapi has a reverse polarity due to board design. Please check the polarity first or you may fried your sata drive

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    we've changed the image of the SATA cable in the shop because the previous image wasn't correct - it was a place holder.
    The new image is the correct one.
    We've gone for a custom cable because the standard size seemed so big to become uncomfortable and unpractical in the actual use.

9. Dread Lensman

Dread Lensman New Member

waltervl likes this.
  10. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

11. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Would the onboard SATA power connector be able to carry enough current to power two SSD's via a SATA power splitter.
    I'm looking at running a raid 1 mirror of two ssd drives using the onboard sata connector and a M2->SSD adapter:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122049966587

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  12. jj_0

jj_0 New Member

13. Andrea Rovai

You can attach one SSD to the SATA connector and the other to the M2 SATA connector.
    You cannot attach a SATA port multiplier.

14. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Granted the SATA data port can't be multiplied. But that's not what I'm asking, I'm asking if the SATA power socket can support the current for two drives.

15. Andrea Rovai

It supports up to 4 A. Usually an SSD consumes 1.5 A, so yes. We have not tested this but there is no contraindication.

Markus Laire likes this.