Windows 10 Restore Disk on 32GB Flash

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Jeffrey Mancebo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jeffrey Mancebo

Jeffrey Mancebo New Member

So I have ordered the UDOO with the 32GB upgrade. I am planning on using a 256GB M.2 SSD as the primary drive. I have owned laptops that have a restore disk for Windows on a partition and was thinking that would be a cool use for the 32GB Flash, since it would not have a lot of reads and writes. Anyone have any idea's on how to set this up for Windows 10? My first thought was to simply write the ISO for Windows 10 to the 32GB spot, but I'm not sure that is the best idea. Does anyone know how big companies create their restore partitions?

Thanks,
    Boojum

2. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

For home or SMB backups I would focus on letting Win10 retain multiple images of each file (File History) and the standard local backup/restore (Win7 mode) to recover from simple system errors.

And with Win10 just skip the image back-up method altogether and depend on Win10’s OS Reset feature; application reinstalls; and backups of your user data folders. The latter is best protected from all events (data corruption, data deletions, and computer theft) using a network drive or a Carbonite, iDrive like service.

Ref: https://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-to-use-all-of-windows-10%E2%80%99s-backup-and-recovery-tools/

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Laura likes this.
  3. Jeffrey Mancebo

Jeffrey Mancebo New Member

I apologize, I must not have been clear. I was not referring to backing up my computer as I use it, complete with Revision history. In some laptops I have owned, there is an image of the "Factory Default" image stored on the hard drive, which includes the OS and Drivers already installed that the system was sold with. Thus, in 2 years when I am on Windows 12 (for example) and I discover the new operating system no longer works with my hardware, I can to a recovery to the factory installed system. In my experience, the recovery system is either on external DVD's or on a partition on a drive.

4. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

My last paragraph (Win10 Reset) is what you should consider since it negates the value of the old system image back-up approach. I think the link above will explain that approach. Just keep your original Win10 install DVD in a safe place. :)

EDIT: If you really want to use the 32GB flash memory, and it's large enough to hold an image, all you should have to do is make sure the flash memory is set-up as a single partition unique drive (Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management). This link may be of help: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5495-create-system-image-windows-10-a.html

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Andrea Rovai likes this.