Cannot Install Windows 10 on micro SD Card. No drive detected!

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Cheahph, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Cheahph

Cheahph New Member

I tried to install Windows 10 in a micro SD Card (64G) by creating the bootable flash drives (instructions from http://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86 ). However I could not select the drive in Windows installation screen, only two options (a 1MB partition and a 7.9GB partition) are available?
    Is that a bug??

2. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

3. Cheahph

Cheahph New Member

Thanks for reply.
    Then the guide in http://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86 is misleading. It mentioned that we can install the OS in M2.SSD, External Harddisk, MMC or MicroSD Card. And it even showed the micro sd card drive in the boot manager screen which make us think that it is possible. I believe it is possible but there are some missing steps somewhere in the instruction guide, will be appreciated if the Udoox86 developer can give us some guidance on that.
    Thanks in advance!

4. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Giving misleading information seems to be the norm for Udoo developers (for example they lie about CPU speed, giving burst speed as CPU speed).

5. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Windows 10 running on an SD card is not possible for the consumer, as a standard option on any system.
    Businesses have a method available to them, if they use an Enterprise edition of Windows to create a Windows to Go drive.

It appears there are ways for consumers to use Windows to Go. I have found instructions for Windows 8 here: https://www.howtogeek.com/196817/ho...-go-usb-drive-without-the-enterprise-edition/

ccs_hello likes this.
  6. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

It was always clear to me that this was the burst speed. It was obvious if you used the Links to the Intel site giving the detailed specifications for each of the processors in the different models.

7. Cheahph

Cheahph New Member

Thanks for reply. If it is not possible to install windows 10 or other OS in the micro SD card, I believe the wise thing for UdoorX86 developer to do is to state clearly in the http://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86 that "You cant install Windows or Linux OS directly in the micro SD Card." which will save a lot of time of other backers that trying to do the same. I am stuck now and probably have to order a M2.SSD in order to install the OS which I should be done before the delivery.

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

9. Cheahph

Cheahph New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the update. How do I get the Bios updated if I cant even get the OS installed? Is there a way to do bios update without OS installed?

bpr likes this.
  10. Cheahph

Cheahph New Member

I got it! We can use DOS to update the bios. For those that need to know how, steps are:
    1) Format the USB drive to "Free DOS", you can use Rufus to do it.
    2) Copy all the files from the DOS and Bios folder to the root directory of the USB.
    3) Insert the USB in the UdooX86 board and power it up.
    4) The USB should boot up in C:/ drive.
    5) Type "update.bat 0B020000.102" and press Enter.
    6) Done! Wait for the update to complete..

bpr likes this.
  11. Cheahph

Cheahph New Member

I have updated the Bios to 1.02. Unfortunately, I am still unable to detect the MicroSD drive under Legacy Hard Drive in Boot Manager, only 00000 and 008G92 drive is available. I am using the 64G Samsung EVO microSDXC http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/memory-cards/microsdxc-64gb-evo-memory-card-with-adapter-mb-mp64da-am/ and formatted to both NTSC and exFAT to try.

12. Robert Stefansson

Robert Stefansson New Member

I have the same problem. Not been able to install Windows 10 Home on SD card. I have tried formatting the card in almost every possible way I can think of. Both tries GPT and MBP setup with no go. Not sure what the problem is, but would be happy to hear any suggestions for solution.

13. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

The problem is that by default Windows is hard-coded to NOT install to removable media (which is the category the SD card falls into). There has been some suggestions that "Windows to Go" may be installable to removable media but I do not have that version myself to try it.

14. Nikmartin

Nikmartin New Member

Thanks for discussion, Your discussion resolve my issue.

15. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Please note the common advise is not to use SD card for the operating system drive, especially if it has swap file on it.
    Constantly read/write on that degrades the SD card's life (even when the file system driver supports scatter the sectors around.)