Installing Win10 to the eMMC?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Eric Falsken, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Eric Falsken

Eric Falsken New Member

Am I correct in that it is not possible? The installation docs in Getting Started seem to imply that it is supported, but I can't get it to work. Windows 10 setup says something about not being able to because it has an MBR partition table instead of a GPT table. And diskpart won't deal with it because it says it is an SD card. (none were inserted at the time, so I assume it means the eMMC memory).

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

I believe if you delete all partitions in the Windows installer then select the empty space it will reformat as MBR on its own.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  3. Brad

Brad New Member

Please let us know if @Kilrah's suggestion works.

I'd think you'd be able to put it on the eMMC since Disk Management doesn't show it as removable. It does, naturally, show my microSD card as being removable but I didn't try to install to it. [Might have to if I cannot get my rebooting reliably working...]

Oddly, my Windows 10 installation put the 2MB boot and 500 MB System Reserved partition on the eMMC then put the C:\ on the 32 GB SSD. But I don't know if the original poster has this configuration.

4. Eric Falsken

Eric Falsken New Member

5. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

Yes mine, installed Windows 10 to the 128GB SSD and the Reserved and System partition to the eMMC.
    I've installed Linux Mint to the rest of the eMMC.

I don't see why Windows should have a problem installing to the eMMC as after all Netbooks use eMMC as their hard drives, unless the eMMC reports itself as removable. The 32GB size might be a problem though after the hibernation and page files are installed.

Are you using Windows Home or Pro , there may be a difference there perhaps.

6. Eric Falsken

Eric Falsken New Member

So I went back and used diskpart (use the F8 button to bring up a command prompt during the installer) and did a "disk clean" to fully wipe the partition and boot record. Then windows installed just fine onto the eMMC drive.

F8
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk N
    clean
    exit

7. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Installed it on the emmc without any problems at all.. Just booted my USB-Stick, formatted it new and installed it.

Ubuntu within win10 (windows subsystem linux - wsl) works also great. Like SSHD, etc.

8. Fuzzyroll

Fuzzyroll New Member

Just wanted to say i got Windows 10 installed on the eMMC too, but i had a weird issue at first.

I used a kingston usb 3.0 stick and tried for two hours and it just didnt show up in the boot manager.

Then i tried a different usb 3.0 stick from transcend and the stick showed up first try.

So if anyone else have had problems finding their usb stick in boot manager, try a different usb stick!

//FuzzyRoll

waltervl likes this.
  9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Actually the getting started guide already says you have to first remove the partitions.
    http://www.udoo.org/get-started-x86/ Chapter Four, min 2:14.

Fuzzyroll likes this.
  10. francescomm

francescomm Member

I have win 10 installed in the eMMC. You have to remove partitions and be careful that you have to choose to install/format EFI mode or Legacy (MBR) mode. If you start the Windows installer in Legacy mode at startup you cannot partition with EFI boot partitions and same the opposite. I installed Ubuntu first, formatted the disk EFI partitioned in the Ubuntu installer, played with it (runs very fine) then decided to try Windows 10, and booted the Win Install drive with EFI (not legacy) and being the eMMC now partitioned EFI, I then had no problems.
    I'm not saying you necessarilly have to install Ubuntu first, to later install Windows, but that's how I did, and I know it did work!

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  11. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Yes, i had issues with Windows 10 as well, the key for me was the EFI boot of the install media.
    When you first start the UDOO make sure you press esc to get the the boot manager and then enter that. In my case i was using a USB stick. So i saw the USB stick listed as a legacy blood device and as an EFI boot device. When booting the USB install media as Legacy the install would not work, however, when booting it as an EFI device it worked perfectly.

As a side note i will state that i had already installed Ubuntu MATE onto the eMMC and set it to use all the space and encrypt it, so windows couldn't use it at all. In this case windows setup all of the needed partitions on the M.w SSD

Markus Laire likes this.
  12. francescomm

francescomm Member

A problem is that the eMMC is formatted MBR (Legacy) at first boot, so, if you boot the Win Installer stick as EFI, Windows will complain, and show an error, when you try to create a partition (EFI installer boot + MBR partitioning = nono). So you really have to format all the disk as EFI before. I had done that under Ubuntu already so I cannot tell if Windows lets you do that easily. Otherwise you probably could keep it all legacy, booting the Win Installer stick as Legacy and keeping the original partitioning, but EFI is more modern...

13. David Atkinson

David Atkinson New Member

Thanks for the EFI info wiped a friends 32 GM Lenovo ideapad 110s and then panic set in searched and stumbled across your post. i installed win10 Home by following your instruction Bios-changed Legacy to OFF- changed Legacy to UEFI- rebooted with win10 stick-deleted and formatted drive asked me if wanted more drives said ok gave me 4 chose primary click ok.Windows then loaded like a dream Big Thanks again