How to install Windows 7 or 10 onto a micro SD card?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by tonberryhunter, Apr 29, 2017.

1. tonberryhunter

tonberryhunter New Member

I'm a bit frustrated today. My Kickstarter UDOOx86 Board finally came today but I cant get Windows installed onto the Micro SD. I assume I need a driver so the Windows Installation can find my SD card. Note the SD card does show up in the Bios or Boot Menu as a legacy hard drive and I also updated the bios to the latest version. Still wont show up with either of my Windows 7 or 10 installs.

If anyone has any ideas whats going on that would be greatly appreciated. The UDOO official OS install PDF is super vague and lacking in details.

My SD Card is a 32gb High Speed SanDisk card formatted with NTFS

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

tonberryhunter likes this.
  3. tonberryhunter

I had read through that earlier before posting here. The guide linked to from there is talking about Windows 8 and its for setup with a USB drive which I dont think quite applies to my situation. I ended up running Linux which is less than ideal but until I get another drive solution setup for my UDOO it will have to do. I was hoping this would be the answer to the Linux only Raspberry Pi3 but so far with my tests it barely preforms much better and actually worse in some cases. A little disappointing considering this board cost roughly 3 times as much as a Raspberry Pi3. Until I find a way to overclock this thing its going to be a somewhat costly paperweight just like my Latte Panda.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I don't know what you are doing with your sbc's but to get optimal performance you need a class 10 SD card else the storage hampers the overall experience. You also could try to install the OS in eMMC (if big enough).

5. ThomasOu

ThomasOu Member

Search "windows 10 VHD" as key word in google might give you some hints. Good news is I have tried that on my PC and it works well (boot solely from USB disk/SD card). Bad news is it's hard to deploy manually.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    tonberryhunter and waltervl like this.
  6. tonberryhunter

I build emulation machines for my arcade cabinets primarily. I'm always looking for new small form factor solutions. My micro SD is a class 10 SanDisk Ultra (red and grey).

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

So you are experiencing almost the same performance when emulating with a Raspberri Pi 3 and an Udoo X86? Strange....
    On what Linux OS did you test on the Udoo X86? Did you optimize UEFI and video driver for gaming?

8. tonberryhunter

I followed this guide here. https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPi...16.04-LTS-x86-Flavor#section-1-install-ubuntu

Also be mindful that emulation is more dependant on the cpu than it is the gpu. While The UdooX86 probably handles computer games better than the Pi because of its memory and gpu its cpu really does not seem much stronger than the Pi 3. Also the dev community around the pi has made great strides in optimizing retropie for the raspberry pi 3. I think with the UdooX86 my emulation is being held back by the Ubuntu OS its running on. If someone built a custom Emulation OS from the ground up for the UdooX86 performance would likely be better.

I havent messed with the bios much on the Udoo X86 is there a guide?

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

There is no other UEFI/bios manual than the user manual that you can download from here http://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Introduction/Introduction.html

On the topic I linked to already some extra hints were given.

As an alternative of retropi you could also look at lakka.tv, it has Linux and Windows builds.

10. tonberryhunter

Thanks for all the help Walter Im gonna try Lakka next see if I can get better performance with it. Do you know the proper sata power cable adapter to use with the UDOO X86?

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

12. tonberryhunter

Hmm so Lakka actually runs slower than Retropie did. Dreamcast has become unplayable. Ha ha I guess I will have to wait and hope someone codes a custom emulation build specifically for the Udoo X86 as of right now its just not a viable emulation console.

13. SteveD

SteveD Member

That's sad, I was (ultimately) planning to use this as a replacement for my odroidxu4 NAS/seedbox, see if the odroid could be an emulator / game streamer. The difference is the odroid has more cores, but the support is still linux/lakka. Still I look forward to seeing what can be done