no HDMI CEC?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Jan Childs, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Jan Childs

Jan Childs New Member

I have LibreElec installed on my board running Kodi.
    The specs state the board has a HDMI 1.4 CEC on the board but I get no CEC running LibreElec.
    Any solution?
    Thanks

2. Triodefreak

Triodefreak Active Member

Does your television support it?

3. Jan Childs

Jan Childs New Member

Yes, been running LibreElec on a Pi3 without any trouble

4. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

I would be very surprised if LibreELEC would work on this board with working CEC. Why? Because I was helping on some other similar board (SolidPC from SolidRun). It also have small microcontroller which handles CEC. Gerald wrote firmware for microcontroller and support for RainShadow protocol in libcec.
    If Udoo didn't do either of that I would suggest doing the same.

5. Triodefreak

If there is no CEC that would be a bummer for me as I'm planning to use it as a media center. I'll just have to use an ip remote in this case..no biggie..but still a bit of a bummer

6. d34db33f

d34db33f New Member

I'm interested in this as well.

According to the documentation and the schematics, CEC hardware seems to be implemented, with HDMI going to the STM32.
    The key would be communicating with it through the SMBus.

The IR sensor and the Button/Leds are also going through that Bus, i'll look into that but more info from Udoo may be required...

7. Sjonno

Sjonno New Member

Can someone from the Udoo team please inform us about CEC? I would also very much like to use it. If Udoo informs the community about steps that need to be made, there might be some skillfull people on it soon ;-)

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  8. TheGroff

TheGroff New Member

They do advertise that it has HDMI-CEC support but so far I've been unable to use it or connect to any CEC source. Can anyone from the Udoo team please inform us about CEC?

Petr Zahnas and Sjonno like this.
  9. francescomm

francescomm Member

Following this...

10. lunarok

lunarok New Member

Following this too, main concern for me

11. SupaHappyFace

SupaHappyFace New Member

Following this too..

12. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

From the infrared sensor topic:

13. hseldon

hseldon New Member

No ETA, really? For a product that was expected to be released six months ago, this is pretty lame. I was personally expecting Linux / Android / MS Windows support for all the things promised in the KS campaign to be ready at launch.

The last (and only?) reference they made to CEC and IR support status was in Update # 28 (June of last year), when they said "[they had] yet to realize the libraries to support the various operating systems". No tangible progress in almost a year?

Are there any edits needed to the UEFI? Is the firmware for the STM32 at least in place? If this is the case, I believe UDOO should publish its source (isn't UDOO x86 supposed to be "open source"?) and document it so that anyone can develop his/her own interface to it.

14. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

As with any project, if you have to spend resources on different matters other parts will have to wait longer. A good team will then decide which features can be postponed while the product can already be released to the majority of customers.

As a customer the perceived risk is that the team will not finish these features, as they may be of to a new adventure.

For me the intended use of the UDOO boards is for people who can handle bare bone stuff, who even might be able to fork the source code and help a bit out. For plug-and-play ready people are better off with a home customer device. In my opinion the UDOO team often gets excited by features they come up with, but then really making them proves to be much more difficult. Holding back about features might be a wise strategy, as ideas quickly become broken promises.

hseldon, waltervl and jas-mx like this.
  15. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Schematics indicate CEC is driven from the STM32 so open sourcing it would be a good idea.

16. hseldon

hseldon New Member

No arguing on the need to refocus resources when problems arise, just a bit disappointed I guess (SORky, looking at you).

Although my firmware developing experience is very very limited, this is why I was asking for the source code of anything they've developed so far, if any. This could save much time and effort.

And by the level of the getting started guides, I believe they're targeting a very wide audience with the UDOO x86. I think it was only fair to assume you could have those features already working so that you could focus on other things.

17. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Hopefully with @Laura on board UDOO will be able to get the community more involved.

18. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

Read my post #4 above once more. Implementation for STM32 microcontroller and appropriate libcec part already exist for some other very similar board. It is just a matter copy/paste + some small modifications.
    This was tested on Linux - don't know how it is done for Windows.

waltervl likes this.
  19. Triodefreak

Cec not working on openelec 8.0.3 Kodi. X86 advanced

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

20. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

That driver provides a usb interface so it not a simple change. From the schematics (unless I'm wrong) STM32 interface to the braswell over smbus and has to provide support for IR and CEC.