Udoo X86 not booting yellow status light

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Derek52, May 9, 2017.

1. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

My udoo x86 has been working great since I got it 2-3 weeks ago. It was working fine this morning. Now it won't boot. I plug in the power jack and the yellow status light comes on. But nothing happens on my monitor. I've been using this thing to develop an android app the last couple of weeks and haven't backed any code up in like a week so I'd really like to figure out how to get this thing working again. What does the yellow status light mean? In the documentation I can't find anything on that.
    And is there any button I can try to press on the board? I don't have a level shifter so I can't use the UART, and I only have 1 power supply and no way to test it. It was like 10$ on amazon and I'm worried it may have gone bad and isn't putting out enough power. Which would probably be the best case for me.

2. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I believe that yellow means off or maybe standby. There's a button right on the component with the status light, on the side facing away from the board. It's a bit hard to press if you're using the case they give you. I believe that there's a slight delay from when you press to when the light turns green, so don't press again too quickly.

3. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

I have now tried pressing power and reset on the board. and using a jumper wire to trigger power and reset using the pins from the front panel connector on the board. Nothing made anything happen. If I have a yellow light, is that enough evidence to show me my board isn't dead? I may see if I can buy a new power supply locally.

4. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I would believe that if you're getting a yellow light, the power supply is working. Try removing the power and the RTC battery for a few minutes and try again.

5. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

I was hoping that would work. It didn't. I left the battery and power unattached for 20-30 minutes. Reconnected the battery and put in power and nothing but the yellow light. Is there a way to do a bios clear or some sort of other reset? I didn't short out my board or get it wet or anything so I can't see why it wouldn't be working. I unplugged it while it was on, and it hasn't booted since..But that shouldn't have killed it.

6. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I once unplugged mine while it was on and afterwards it stayed at the yellow light until I pressed the power button. I don't think that removal of power should cause any damage.

7. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

So, I just looked at mine and whe I first plug in the power, the light turns green for a second or two and then turns yellow until I press the power button. Does it turn green briefly for you as well?

8. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

I get nothing but the yellow light. Getting any sort of status light makes me think the board isn't dead. But, I can't make anything happen. I can't think of anything I did to kill the board.

9. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

After leaving it plugged in for 5-10 minutes the heatsink is warm to the touch. I'm terrible at gauging temps by hand but it's probably 120-130 Fahrenheit. So. I plug the thing in. Get a yellow status light, and the CPU is doing something. But the power button doesn't do anything.

10. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I would open a support case with UDOO.

11. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

If you press ESC repeatedly when powering UDOO can you get to BIOS at least? If yes, you could try booting from e.g. Ubuntu image without installing it to at least access your files.

12. fabio978

fabio978 Member

I think that until the led become green, no action can be done

13. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

I have opened a tech support ticket. We'll see what happens.

14. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

That's never a good idea... any reason for doing so? Had the OS frozen that you couldn't shut down properly? That could indicate earlier issues.

15. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

It may have crashed. I'm not sure. I had turned my monitor off and left my room for a little while. So I wasn't watching the machine. I came back turned the monitor on. Started moving the mouse and hit a button on the keyboard. Nothing happened. I doubt it was more than 30 minutes max. and the OS wasn't set to suspend itself, so I know the mouse/keyboard should have woken it up. It could have been a crash. I may have had it happen one other time. I'm not sure. I know I've unplugged the board while it was on once or twice without a problem.
    I do generally avoid doing that though. When I couldn't get the board to wake up, I assumed it was just the computer being weird. So I went ahead and unplugged it, without looking at the light. It may have switched to yellow and died while i was out of my room. I really don't know.

16. Kilrah

Kilrah Member

Could be that the power supply caused a spike that crashed but also permanently damaged the board. Or the board just has a defect.

17. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

I considered it being the power supply. I paid 10$ for it on Amazon. The day after I ordered it I was looking back at the page and saw that half the reviews were 1-3 stars. They were saying getting a good one is luck of the draw. People mainly use them to power LED strips it looks like. Some were getting too hot, or not outputting enough power. Mine was never hot, I don't think I even remember it getting warm. And it ran the board flawlessly for 2 weeks or so. So I don't think it was my power supply. But I have no real way of knowing.
    Anyone want to link me to the power supply they bought?
    Also I should add, I bought a barrel jack connector from my local Radioshack, and wired it up to a desktop PC PSU to test my board. That did not make my board work. Just got the yellow light again.

18. mkopack

mkopack Member

Strange, I use a power strip to control on/off of power to my board (I always do a full shutdown of the OS first). When I do, (or if I plug the PSU into the AC jack on the strip) I always get a yellow and then Green and start getting BIOS and display and all that, and then the OS boots up.

I'm on BIOS 1.02

19. Jose Manuel Torres

Jose Manuel Torres New Member

I'm having the same issue, did somebody find any solution ? Thanks !

20. Derek52

Derek52 New Member

Hey Jose, OP here, I opened a support ticket and they accepted my RMA request. It's been a lengthy process though. i'm still waiting to ship my dead board out so they can send me a new one. They will hopefully be faster at responding to messages now. It took like a week to get a response, and then another 5 days after I replied. and so on.