CPU fan noise level

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by wavemaker, Sep 2, 2016.

1. thE_29

thE_29 Member

2. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

I havn't seen any, this post mentions fitting connector and wire you can buy from Mouser, and then you still need to connect those wires to your fan. (I don't like this non-standard connector at all so I'm considering options which don't use that onboard fan connector.)

3. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Yeah that the fan connector is not a standard is really a bummer. You can only buy the fan from Udoo, but it is not available.. Great combination...
    Maybe I will try to order the things from Mouser or I will see how loud the FAN is, when it runs at full rpm all the time :D

There are adapters for USB -> 5V. Damn, why do I have to have a 12V fan..

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  4. mkopack

mkopack Member

So last night I grabbed an old smaller (40/50?)mm 2 wire 12V fan I had laying around in one of my old parts bins. Stripped the ends and plugged one wire into one of the Arduino GND pins, the other into the Arduino 12V pin. Powered up the Udoo x86 and the fan spun right up. Now, a few things with this - 1) it's a small fan and since it's a 2-wire, it doesn't throttle with temp, so it will go full blast all the time which will be a bit noisy. 2) you need some way to attach the fan to hold it in place over the HS. (Note, if you happen to have a 5V fan you can plug into the Arduino's 5V line instead).

I'm working on designing a 3d printable shroud/holder that will hold the fan and slip down onto/around the heat sink (but still allow air flow through). I'm also going to take some old header pins and a 2 wire connector and use them to do the hook up to the Ardiuno pins so the wiring will be a bit more secured in place. I'll share the TinkerCAD link once I print it and am sure it fits right..

Not elegant, not quiet, but certainly works and keeps things super cool. I ran Stress on my x86 last night for 30 seconds and using a laser thermometer didn't see the temp rise a single degree on the HS...

5. thE_29

thE_29 Member

I have made something from a wooden door knob hanger.
    It fits so tightly, you can even hold it upside down (would not recommend it ;-)). And I switched it after I made the photos, so that the CPU-heatsink would be closer to the fan (red area is where the fan will probably placed).

Waiting for the power-adapter for the 80x80mm fan. And I dont know how I should attach the fan.. Either tape it or sth else..

udoo1.jpg udoo2.jpg udoo3.jpg udoo4.jpg udoo5.jpg