Will X86 UEFI Boot from a 128GB SD-Card?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by LDighera, May 16, 2017.

1. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

When I insert a 128GB SD-Card in a USB card-reader (with a Debian Jessie live image burned on it) into a USB3 port, and apply power, all I see is a black screen. Will the X86 UEFI Boot from a 128GB SD-Card formatted EXFAT? That SD card successfully boots from my Windows i7-cpu system.

Is anyone able to confirm the X86 booting from an EXFAT formatted SD card?

--------------------------------------------------- T E R M S --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) is a Microsoft file system optimized for flash memory. FAT32 has a file-size limit of 4GB, while exFAT's file-size limit is 16 exabytes (EB). An exabyte is a unit of information equal to one quintillion (10 to the 18th) bytes, or one billion gigabytes. The prefix exa indicates multiplication by the sixth power of 1000 or two to the sixtieth power. The prefix exa means one billion billion, or one quintillion.

quintillion
    noun, plural quintillions (as after a numeral) quintillion.
    a cardinal number represented in the U.S. by 1 followed by 18 zeros, and in Great Britain by 1 followed by 30 zeros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

2. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Please check with gparted the status of the partitions of your MicroSD AFTER burning. May be now no longer exFAT.

Markus Laire likes this.
  3. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Could be problem with Debian Jessie, I wasn't able to get Debian Jessie Live working on smaller USB stick or SD card. Might be worth testing weekly Stretch builds instead. (I'll test one today, I intended to do this earlier but forgot.)

And as @stecolumna said, formatting isn't exFAT anymore - burning image to SD card overwrites any existing formatting.

stecolumna likes this.
  4. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

I just tested debian-live-testing-amd64-xfce.iso from weekly Stretch builds and it's working from 16 GB USB stick.

stecolumna likes this.
  5. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

I just burned debian-live-testing-amd64-lxde.iso from that page to a 16GB SD card, and was hoping to be able to install it on a partition on the m.2 SSD. I read on one of the Debian.com pages, that there's supposed to be "launcher on the desktop that can be used to install while running the live image." Unfortunately, I didn't find one.

I Googled, but was unable to find any information on how to install from the live system.

Is anyone able to offer a pointer to the method of installing to HDD from the live USB image?

ADVthanksANCE

6. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Yes. I've been successful with Debian Stretch Live on a 16GB SD card. Thanks for the suggestion to all those who have made it.
    The 128GB Transcend SDXC card was delivered formatted exFAT, but flashing Jessie Live on it last February likely changed that to FAT32 (confirmed). I was able to successfully boot Jessie from it on my i7 Windows 8 Pro machine, so I'm reasonably sure the issue isn't the card.

Now I'm thinking the boot failure is an issue with my specific X86 Advanced board. Please see my post on that subject.