CPU fan does not turn on (Solved)

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Robert Pearson, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

Windows 10, with the Ultimate board. The fan turns on at boot, then shuts off after 5-7 seconds. I've set the thresholds in the bios, then stressed the CPU past the threshold, with the fan not spinning up. I've gotten two apps to manage the CPU fan speed, and they do not see the fan. Did Udoo send me a defective fan?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

Thank god I did search and read through the forum, before posting. I've also browsed through the Kickstarter comments. His problem appears to be resolved after setting AC0 / AC1 thresholds. Then the thread turned into a guide on how to hack the BIOS to get greater fan control. There is also another thread which goes into software use of the fan control to get better temperature control. Those threads are neat, for when my fan is addressable via the BIOS controls. There is another thread that goes into building your own fan with a 3 pin mini-header.

I think my problem isn't resolved by previous thread suggestions. Is your thought that we are we supposed to consolidate forum topics if it has any keyword in it that matches? Do you really think it's really beneficial to post a new problem to the tail end of a thread where many others already have the expectation that the thread topic has already been resolved or that has turned into a BIOS hacking thread?

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Well, I think I misinterpreted your issue then, it looked almost the same as the other issue.

5. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

The fan turns off automatically after you turn on the udoo. It will then turn on only when needed based on the settings in the bios unless you've disabled the fan.

6. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

I set AC0 and AC1 to the minimum (65 / 55 respectively), and stressed the CPU cores to where at least one of the 4 cores was at 73 degrees, and the fan did not turn on.

/edit for more info.
    According to the manual, the fan should spin to the 75% duty cycle between 55 and 65 degrees, and then run at 100% after 65 degrees. This is not happening.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  7. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

If your fan repeatedly does turn on when you turn on your udoo, then it should be working. I've found that with mine set to 55 for the lowest temp and the room air conditioned, then even when putting a large load on the CPU, it rarely turns on the fan. But if the room gets above 80 degrees F, then it will turn on more often, but only from time to time. I have a laser temp reader that I should use to see what the temp is of the heat sink.

I believe that one of the options disables the fan. I don't remember which one it was. Also, make sure that you're on the latest firmware (version 1.02). And just in case, the bios is going on Celsius. So that 55*C is 131*F. Quite hot for such a low power CPU.

Edit: Are you using a 2 pin or 3 pin fan?

8. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

Hi ImLagging,

Thank you for the reply...

I was measuring from the internal sensors, using OpenHardwareMonitor and SpeedFan. I was also using Prime95 to put the CPU under load to generate heat. The numbers should yield a IF x THEN y type of control over the fan. Maybe the fan is bad...

As part of the troubleshooting process, I did install 1.02 firmware. Maybe I'll reset all BIOS options, and start from scratch with the options... None of the relative options are set for disabled. I remember seeing the discussion on disabling the AC0 / AC1 settings to disabled may disable the fan also.

I want to get the CPU fan working more often to assist with the longevity of the computer. 55*C is quite hot, for long-term use. Once I can verify that the fan is in working condition, I'll play around with getting the BIOS hack discussion going to turn the fans on earlier...

I'm using the 3pin fan that Udoo sent me. I also set it up at 3pin in the BIOS.

Edit:
    I reset all BIOS settings to default, and the problem still persists. For trivia, my Udoo x86 Ultra will idle without a fan at 51*C. With a USB fan blowing across, I'm seeing 32*C, as measured with internal sensors.

Thanks,
    Robert

9. Robert Pearson

Robert Pearson Member

After another test, I see the fan does turn on after temp sensor TZ00 / TZP0 reach 55*C, which is 10-22*C cooler than the CPU cores (ie. CPU cores are up to 77*C) . Upgrade to FW 1.02, and resetting of the BIOS options appears to have done the trick.

If you disable AC1, the fan will not spin up under load at all.

Now for the kicker, from the manual. It's up to us consumers to keep the CPU temperature under 60*C, when the fan can only turn on when it reaches 55*C. If it's our responsibility as a consumer to keep the CPU temp under 60, we need some better options from Udoo, without a BIOS hack.

From the Manual:
    Operating temperature: 0°C ÷ +60°C** (Commercial temperature)
    **Temperatures indicated are the maximum temperature that the heatspreader / heatsink can reach in any of its parts. This means that it is customer’s responsibility to use any passive cooling solution along with an application-dependent cooling system, capable to ensure that the heatspreader / heatsink temperature remains in the range above indicated.

Fuzzyroll, Markus Laire and waltervl like this.
  10. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I was having an issue as well (something else not fan related) and a firmware update and bios reset to defaults fixed it for me as well. I know we had requested lower thresholds for when the fan should turn on. I believe that they were going to look into it for a further bios update, but I don't know when that will be.

11. SteveD

SteveD Member

I missed there was a setting for which type of fan is used, currently I've got a 2pin, but it never turns on after boot, I reduced the AC(0?) down to 55, my desktop recorded temps up at 60 but never turned the fan on, I assumed it didn't supply enough current for my fan at that lowest setting. I'll need to go and check that setting while I wait for that further bios update that I hope addressed the fan temp range.

12. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I don't believe that there is a setting for 2 or 3 pin fans. I was just asking as part of trying to help troubleshoot. Does your fan turn on at all when you poweron the udoo?