SATA SSD disk in the acrylic enclosure

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by stecolumna, Jun 23, 2017.

1. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

I can not understand where the SSD SATA disk is to be placed in the acrylic enclosure.
    Maybe I must add a third panel ?

2. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

3. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear FirstGenGeek,

Your solution is good for a permanent installation but if you think of changing the SSD SATA disk often the solution of putting a third panel makes the M2 more secure because it seem to be fragile.

Thanks for your answer.

4. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

If you are asking about a standard 2.5" SATA drive the standard UDOO case + longer standoffs will let you easily change the drive since the screws are inserted from the bottom of the case panel.

5. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

FirstGenGeek

ok. Thanks for your clarification.
    Can I replace plastic standoffs with metallic equivalents without risk for Electrostatic discharges ?

6. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

I don't see any electrical contact from the mainboard mounting holes to the circuit so metal standoffs should be OK. I already had the longer M3 plastic ones and they match what came with the UDOO case.

stecolumna likes this.
  7. ThomasOu

ThomasOu Member

I replaced the original short plastic standoffs to the metallic ones and it works. But the holes in the panel don't fit very well but you can still mount a 2.5" HDD over it.

stecolumna likes this.
  8. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear FistGenGeek and Udoox86 makers all,

I have copied your solution with my materials and this is the results:

DSC_10352-x1080.jpg DSC_10353-x1080.jpg DSC_10354-x1080.jpg DSC_10356-x1080.jpg DSC_10358-x1080.jpg DSC_10359-x1080.jpg DSC_10360-x1080.jpg

I have calculated a plentiful distance between the M2SSD and the SATA SSD for thermal reasons.
    I have add another distance between the SATA SSD and the pavement of the plexiglass because the terminal connector of SATA SSD disk overflows the plane of disk.

I have increased drilling of acrylic pavement's holes from 3M to 3,5M because they did not exactly match the female connectors of the SATA SSD as someone I do not remember the name had already noticed.

Obviously this is only a temporary solution while we expect the arrival of an official Udoox86 closed case.

waltervl likes this.
  9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you have an indication that someone is creating a closed case? Udoo team will probably not do one as they never created a closed case.

10. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear waltervl

or yes. This is a thread of sekarpdkt, that you know, of course: https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/case-for-udoo-x86.7437/

I think that, when SECO have sold 1 million of Udoox86, as I wish them :) , it will be created an official Udoox86 closed case for specific use of miniPC of the future. Infact the closed case is useful to protect the SBC from water and electrostatic damagement and it's better for non-makers users.

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I hope the the one that is making the metallic case for the Udoo Dual/Quad also is going to make one for the X86 https://ucase.odoo.com/shop

12. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear waltervl,

Yes, of course.
    But I bought two non official case for my Raspberry Pi 3 and Raspberry Pi zero both problematics. In the Raspi P3 case the holes for the lighting led were missing and the Pimoroni case for Pi zero don't allow the change of MicroSD without to disassemble the screws of the case. Then a change of MicroSD it's an operation that takes a long time. The official cases ot both models of Raspberry don't have this issue.

Then I hope that the next model of Udoox86 closed case it is perfect in order to avoid buying unusable closed cases.

13. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

Looks good! Odd that I didn't have any problem aligning the drive mounting holes with the case using 3mm screws.

14. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear FirstGenGeek,

thanks for your opinion.

Curious ...