Installing CentOS 6.9

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by bigbiggreydog, Jun 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bigbiggreydog

bigbiggreydog UDOOer

I just received my UDOO x86 and am trying to install an ISO of CentOS 6 [6.9]. Some software I want to run will not run on CentOS 7. The installation on the SD card works without problems but when I boot it after inustall, it doesn't run. I tried Ubuntu just to make sure everything is working and I was successful with this. Is there something with this version of CentOS and the UDOO that are incompatible?

2. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Maybe you can boot CentOS in console mode so you can see the output to see where the startup fails?

3. bigbiggreydog

bigbiggreydog UDOOer

How do you connect to the board in console mode? I see with the other boards, you use micro USB, which the x86 board does not have. I see some reference to UART pin outs being used possibly but do not see any documentation of which connectors those are.

4. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Connect a keyboard and a monitor, stop grub from booting and supply the correct boot parameters.

For CentOS this article might be useful.

5. bigbiggreydog

bigbiggreydog UDOOer

Ok. I have a bit more information. If I install CentOS 7 and above or the latest Fedora, it works. If I install CentOS 6, or an older version of Fedora that will run the software I need, then I get this EFI Shell boot screen with device mapping table listings. I am wondering if there is something on the board that does not support this version of CentOS. I know you can't run this on an ARM processor but I thought this board was x86 so should support this. See attached image for boot screen I am seeing.

Attached Files:

6. bigbiggreydog

bigbiggreydog UDOOer

More specifically, I am suspicious CentOS will not run an an Intel Atom processor

7. bigbiggreydog

bigbiggreydog UDOOer

at least version 6

8. x1800MODMY360x

x1800MODMY360x Member

Thats the EFI Shell, type exit and select the boot device on the next screen.

9. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

There is no need to use the serial console to see the boot up process.
    As indicated in post #4 (Maurice's), you just need to get into the single user mode and you're in command line mode as root.
    Modify configuration as needed.

ccs_hello

10. bigbiggreydog

bigbiggreydog UDOOer

Thank you for the reply. If I exit shell, it never makes it to the boot device, it just goes to the BIOS setup screen. Once I quit that then it goes back to the EFI shell

11. bigbiggreydog

bigbiggreydog UDOOer

Also if I try to stop autoboot, it goes straight into shell. No typical choices of OS are shown. No CentOS splash screen, etc.

12. bigbiggreydog

bigbiggreydog UDOOer

Started a discussion in the CentOS community. They indicated CentOS 6 UEFI support is minimal to non-existent. Is there a way to put the UDOO into legacy BIOS mode?

13. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Yes, in BIOS Boot-menu there is setting "Boot type" to choose between legacy/UEFI/dual. Default is dual and should work with both UEFI and legacy, but you can change it to Legacy which might work better.

Other settings to try (in same Boot-menu):
    • Change "Add Boot Options" to "Last" (special boot options like EFI Shell are put after normal boot items)
    • "EFI/Legacy Device Order" - "Legacy device first" (default is 'Smart' which from my experience is anything but smart)
    • And "Legacy" submenu where you can change exact order for legacy devices

14. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Hi @bigbiggreydog,

CentOS 6 is really painful to install in Braswell boards due to the elderly kernel shipped with the distro, and unfortunately it hasn't the support for eMMC, Wifi/BT and other drivers, so it won't recognize them and maybe even boot.
    If you really need CentOS, be sure to run a minimum 4.10 kernel prior to installing the OS (or upgrade it if you manage to boot).