Windows 10 USB Install Problems

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by franksey, Aug 11, 2017.

1. franksey

franksey New Member

Has anyone successfully installed Windows 10 on a USB drive?

I have a Udoo Advanced board and have tried SSD SATA drive connected via USB cable, standard USB hard drives, and microSD cards.

I've read all posts and tried everything, but i can't get it done. I've created a bootable USB drive with official Windows 10 image (using Rufus and also tried winTousb) on as a standard installation type as well as "windows to go" type and both failed for their own reasons. Former approach: cannot install windows to a USB drive, so instant block there. Latter approach: Windows boots on the Udoo but bluescreens with "data inpage kernel error" or "bad_system_config_info". I've also tried installing Windows 7 and that totally failed too.

Is there anything else I can try or am I doing something wrong? About to give up.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. franksey

franksey New Member

I've tried the approach on that thread too and receive errors during the process of getting windows 10 onto the USB drive :/ No error codes just failed message

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The best approach for you is to install Windows 10 on your SATA SSD (connected with the Udoo SATA cable).

5. franksey

franksey New Member

I've just ordered one - hopefully that works, thanks

6. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

You could also used a SATA HDD if you have one. Having said that a SSD should provide a significant performance boost, and if it is plugged in via the m2 slot you still have the SATA port free for other uses.

7. franksey

franksey New Member

I've been experimenting more and found the firmware update now allows me to utilise the SD card (it was read-only before). Got Ubuntu installing to it now. Now i'm wondering whether the firmware update might've sorted my odd USB issues?

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

It could (but firmware v1.0.1 is old) but also a firmware update sets everything in Bios back to factory settings.

9. franksey

franksey New Member

Updated the BIOS to 1.03 and successfully got Ubuntu 17.04 installed from a USB drive to an SD card and works well. Something strange happened though - After removing the SD card and attaching a different USB drive, the next time I reattached the SD card with Ubuntu installed, the BIOS couldn't recognise it as a bootable device and I couldn't boot into Ubuntu - I had to reinstall Ubuntu onto the SD card again to get it booting again.

10. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

I have installed Ubuntu 17.04 either in MicroSD and in the SATA disk of my UdooX86 Ultra. I have seen that the Debian 9.1 (installed on my M2 disk) and Ubuntu GRUBs (installed on the SATA disk) see the Ubuntu 17.04 installed on the MicroSD with the UUID identifier. If you lose this identifier you can rebuild with grub-update (Debian or Ubuntu in my personal situation).

I hope that this my information it's useful also for you

Best regards

11. franksey

franksey New Member

That does help if it happens again, thank you.