Udoo x86 laptop

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by deozza, Aug 20, 2017.

1. deozza

deozza New Member

Hello everyone.
    After reading a lot from this forum and others, i still don't have the informations i need to realize my project. So here it is: i would like to build a laptop with the udoo. I planned to buy the advanced plus version (for the ram and the emmc). And for this i'd like to reuse parts from an old laptop, a 15" Vaio, like the screen, the battery, the hdd and the shellcase.

And here's the infos i gathered through time:
    _the screen needs a driver board to connect to the udoo by hdmi
    _the udoo needs a 12v 3a power supply
    _i don't need a buck between the power supply, the udoo and the screen as they need the same voltage
    _to power the "laptop" during minimum 4h with a 12v 3a, the battery must be a 12ah one

My major problem is the battery. Can I reuse the cells from the old Vaio? In the contrary, how can i build one? Secondly, how can i prevent the extinction of the board before the battery dies?

2. MobileJAD

MobileJAD New Member

Hello, I just registered to the forum this morning as I am about to pull the trigger on getting a Udoo x86 myself,
    and the very first post that I see is yours regarding the building of a laptop.
    Sorry if any discussion about your laptop project has been going on elsewhere, or if I don't have much to add to it,
    But I have been wanting to build my own laptop for some time as well, using other brand ARM boards though.
    Very interesting, I have not considered trying to convert a old laptop though.
    If I were to personally do that I would totally ditch the laptops original power supply and battery,
    along with its motherboard. I have no information unfortunately on how the motherboard interacts with the battery,
    except that I would expect it to be proprietary.
    If I were screwing around with cheap Raspberry Pi, I wouldn't cry over something going wrong with trying to
    wire up a laptop battery to it. But if I had a $270 Udoo x86 Ultra, I wouldn't go that deep into modding it.
    Now the Laptop LCD is something that I have spent some time digging into. From what I have seen
    every project that anybody was using a laptop LCD with has a Custom built controller board
    Most of them are HDMI, but the one that I personally purchased was the Adafruit Qualia Display Port
    controller board for the 10" iPad display. There are other controller boards out there, I Do believe they
    are specifically built for each LCD panel. My guess is that if you want to use your Sony Vaio 15"
    You would have to be confident that your LCD panel can correctly communicate with what ever
    controller board that you can find, oh and all of the controller boards that I have seen first hand need
    their own AC adapters, or I guess you would have to power the controller board itself through
    what ever power supply that you can get going in your laptop, like its built in battery pack.
    Heh though my first go to with getting my own self built laptop would have been finding
    someone with a 3D printer that I could use, but if I were to do as you suggest and scrap an
    old laptop, I personally would try to find the most bulky old school laptop I could find,
    like a old IBM Thinkpad that has LOTS of room on the inside to mess around and make any
    adjustments needed.
    Btw there are other ARM products out there where the people behind the product actually
    provide a battery pack around 3,000 mAh or so for purchase, I wonder if the folks behind the
    Udoo would know where to get a small battery pack that can run the Udoo for a decent amount of time?

3. deozza

deozza New Member

Thanks for your reply, and no it's the only thread about my project.

So i made a little research yesterday on amazon and i found a usb 5v - > dc 12v cable adapter
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B01G56J4I6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1XJ2UF0YVOUS0&psc=1

The idea here is to find a smartphone power bank with enough amperage. By my thought, the udoo takes max 3a,the screen should takes 1a. So 4a in total
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B00GB...2&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=4a+power+bank

And here it is. The reasons : 26ah (so 26/4=6 hours of life for the laptop/tablet), 3 usb port with one at 3a and the two others that deliver 5a together.

So i got my battery and the dc adapter. To fuse the usb ports i'd use a usb y cable. Finally, the scheme would be:
    Battery -> usb y cable -> usb to dc converter -> udoo. I can even put a second converter for the screen.

At the beginning, i wanted to reuse the laptop's battery. But it could be damaged by time and not as efficient as i need. This laptop would be for development school so i need a minimum of 4h of battery life.

For the lcd board controller, i juste have to get the reference of the lcd itselft and search 2 seconds on amazon or ebay the correct controller.

I already have a raspberry 3 as a web server. But i think i'd replace it with a rock64 and build a portable gaming/media device (with retropie, plex and kodi)

4. MobileJAD

MobileJAD New Member

For usb battery packs, supposedly the Anker brand battery packs are capable of providing fairly continuous power to small system boards, if you buy a generic USB battery pack, they aren't built for supplying continuous power to a small computer.
    They are only good for charging phones, and that's it. :p
    I'm going to read more into read more into the Anker power packs, you can get them off amazon, I think they are offered at more than 30,000 mAh, but I want to find out for sure if they can handle powering a small ARM board, a lcd screen and devices plugged into the ARM boards usb ports.

5. samholton

samholton New Member

Check the current rating on those. Generally they are listed with a max of 1A or so, but people report them getting extremely hot and failing at much over 500-600 mA

Remember Amps are only one side of calculating power. At 4A and 5V you have 20W of power (P = I * V). Assuming the converter is 100% efficient (its not), at 12V you would only have 1.67A (20W = I * 12 or I=20/12)

However, my Udoo X86 Advanced with nothing connected to it only draws around 1-1.5A at 12V even under load.

6. deozza

deozza New Member

Yup, pine64 does it. But only for American buyers.

And that's why i regret to not paying attention in physics courses at college... So hummmm. If i have the udoo, screen, keyboard and cpu at 50% (with ubuntu, eclipse, lamp and firefox running) i'd need how many amps? Admitting it's 3A, at 12v it would be 36W? So i need an electric circuit with 12v, 36w and 3a?

7. MobileJAD

MobileJAD New Member

Heh, one of my plans for my Udoo x86 Ultra was to slap a tiny water block over the cpu and see what I could do with it on bench marks. :p
    I wonder if anyone tried using any voltage or cpu clock/stepping programs to try overclocking the Pentium processor in the Udoo x86 Ultra?
    I wonder what the maximum power draw it can sustain before you burn out the motherboard?

8. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

When you've empirically established it please let us know.;)

waltervl likes this.
  9. MobileJAD

MobileJAD New Member

Hah! Not on a motherboard this expensive. :p!
    Maybe I could buy a small herd of Raspberry pi's and try burning them out in a whimsical series of YouTube videos?
    But not when a *oopsies* moment requires the replacement of a $260 motherboard. :p
    I'm pretty sure once I buy and set up my new x86 Ultra I'll be treating it with care, but I'll probably still put a water block on it just for fun.