Building a cluster x86 ultra can it be done ??

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Perfomancebird, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Perfomancebird

Perfomancebird New Member

Building a cluster x86 ultra can it be done ??

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Yes, I believe the Ultra can be configured as a cluster for a multi-node application. Though I'm unsure of the exact process of creating a cluster, so will cc. someone who can clarify this :)

cc. @Andrea Rovai

Perfomancebird likes this.
  3. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Like a Beowolf cluster? Run Linux, install communications/messaging software, configure a master, then the slaves.

Perfomancebird likes this.
  4. Perfomancebird

Aweome im looking into making a very reliable super computer for next project thnxs for your input and dose any one know if a two player game can be played over two boards on a dual monitor setup

5. Perfomancebird

Thanks for the post. I hope after all this work pays of for my next project super computer

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

You can build a cluster even with UDOO X86 Basic. Actually, you can build a cluster with whatever computer.
    You can achieve the connection with Gigabit Ethernet, otherwise you have to go for custom solutions. I don't know if it can be done via PCI too.
    Anyway, the UDOO cofounders are also involved in the AXIOM Project, for which I work too, and within the AXIOM Project we will also provide resources for clusters.
    But I suggest you also to look into standard cluster solutions, such as Beowulf. There is open source stuff out there!

LDighera likes this.
  7. bogart

bogart New Member

Laura likes this.
  8. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Thanks for the heads-up! The spelling has been corrected.

9. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

From the AXIOM web site:

"Smart Videosurveillance
    AXIOM will enable companies, such as HERTA, to deploytheir multiple face recognition in real-time in crowded and changeable environments"

How ironic - I was looking at the Udoo boards as a low cost platform to help pro-democracy, pro-labor, pro-environment activists to have safe computing platforms, and you're building them to help corporations spy on those same people!

http://hertasecurity.com/en

I'd laugh if I wasn't so thoroughly disappointed.

10. Laura

Laura UDOOer

UDOO and AXIOM are run independently of each other and controlled by distinct organisations. Herta is a member of the AXIOM consortium.

The research on OmpSs (an open source programming model for cluster computing) undertaken by AXIOM consortium member BSC (Barcelona Supercomputing Center) was presented to the UDOO project, creating the opportunity to introduce this form of programming to makers.

UDOO does not have an organised relationship to the companies involved in the AXIOM project. The development of the UDOO boards are for the community of makers.

11. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

OK, for clarity and accuracy, I will restate it as "Udoo is a member of a consortium (AXIOM) in which a different corporate member (Herta) has the explicit goal of face recognition and surveillance. Udoo hosted the consortium at a recent event:

"AXIOM is being hosted by UDOO at their booth during Maker Faire Rome 2017, 1-3 December, in pavilion 7. Researchers from the inter-European project will be available to answer questions, in addition to demonstrating the various aspects of the module they have created."

http://www.axiom-project.eu/2017/11/axiom-at-maker-fair-rome-2017/

What is Udoo's position on corporate facial recognition and surveillance? All I'm looking for is a categorical, public disavowal of and opposition to such activities and we can move on.

12. Laura

Laura UDOOer

UDOO is not a member of the AXIOM consortium. AXIOM consists of the following organisations:
    • BSC (OmpSs),
    • EVIDENCE (LinuxOS+RunTime),
    • FORTH (interconnection),
    • HERTA (videosurveillance),
    • SECO (produces the hardware),
    • UNISI (coordination, evaluation, dissemination, exploitation),
    • VIMAR (domotic).
    UDOO is a collaboration between AIDILAB and SECO. AIDILAB is a design company that develops products with a technology focus and SECO is an embedded hardware designer and manufacturer. UDOO invited AXIOM to past community events we attended, as they are very good at demonstrating cluster computing with our boards https://twitter.com/axiom_project/status/936590466111475712

In my honest opinion, placing restrictions on open hardware goes against the very essence of it. There should not be any discrimination against fields of endeavour (open source software has an alike attitude https://opensource.org/osd-annotated).

UDOO is community-directed and members have not requested a restriction on the licence before or stated an objection to the boards being used for facial recognition. I will mention @Snakebyte's remarks to the team.

13. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

I appreciate the clarifications, given the above statement:

"Anyway, the UDOO cofounders are also involved in the AXIOM Project, for which I work too, and within the AXIOM Project we will also provide resources for clusters." Andrea Rovai

and that you have enough access on the AXIOM web site to correct typos. "Thanks for the heads-up! The spelling has been corrected."

I wasn't suggesting a restriction but a statement. I have published plenty of code under a BSD/MIT license and will continue to do so, including any work I do porting the operating system I have been working with to the Udoo board (BTW, it now runs). However, I oppose my work being used for military purposes, corporate surveillance, and other attacks on human rights.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but the issue came up in context.

14. Laura

Laura UDOOer

The team behind UDOO love being part of a community that continually explores the ways hardware can positively reshape lives. We are always thrilled to see our boards used in projects for good.

We believe in human rights and fundamental freedoms and hope that any project that uses our boards values the same principles. However, we do not set restrictions on the freedom to use our boards, as it would be counter to the concept of open source.

The AXIOM project has concluded, so they will not be attending the future events that UDOO frequents. A member of the UDOO team will demonstrate a cluster of UDOO X86 boards, actualised from the work of the AXIOM project.

During the early stages of the AXIOM project, they had not yet created their own hardware, so they used a cluster of UDOO boards for development of their open source toolchain. UDOO was also consulted on this aspect, as open source communities are in our core.

15. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

Thank you. I always look for leadership by example in anything I invest my time and energy into.

Laura likes this.