Bracket for 80mm SSDs available

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Zitt, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Zitt

Zitt UDOOer

All,
    Just wanted you to know that I have gotten my Udoo X86 to boot Windows 10 on an 256GB 80mm Transcend MTS800 SSD. I 3D printed a 60mm to 80mm bracket which allows the 80mm SDD to hang off the side by a few 10s of mm.

If you are interested; I have put the 3D STL files on my blog for free download under the TAPR/NCL license. http://Pinball-Mods.com/blogs/?p=636

Additionally; if you do not have a 3D printer; I've made the brackets available via Shapeways for as little as $4.40USD.

[​IMG]

2. Daniel Hrynczenko

Daniel Hrynczenko New Member

Nice, looks quite interesting for what I'm building, how many millimeters is it sticking out?

3. Sjonno

Sjonno New Member

Interesting! Did you make an electric connection to the board? I suspect (some) m.2 SSDs need a ground connection to the main board at the 80mm bolt.

4. Zitt

Zitt UDOOer

0.6 inches or 15.24mm

No; The M.2 connector provides all the grounding need. I didn't read every word on the wiki page for M.2; but would be VERY surprised if the spec required grounding via the screw. If you really want the bracket to provide grounding; you could order via Shapeways in a metal.

5. NerdOfEpic

NerdOfEpic New Member

Is there a reason for the zip tie in that picture? I assumed this would be an extender thing to screw into.

UPDATE: Nevermind, just found mention of the zip tie on the blog page. It's just for holding WiFi antennas and is not actually part of the SSD mounting.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  6. Zitt

Zitt UDOOer

Correct.

7. Zitt

Zitt UDOOer

Interested in feedback on the bracket when you get it.
    I know the hole to the bracket doesn't have a thread; because you can't 3D print a fine thread like #4-40 without shapeways violations.

8. NerdOfEpic

NerdOfEpic New Member

I got the 3D printed brackets from shapeways (they look good), and I ordered some 2280 SSDs (which were vastly cheaper and easier to get than 2260s, and came in in just a couple days), but I don't have my UDOO boards yet (mine were pre-orders because I missed the kickstarter).

I'll happily let you know how the brackets work once everything is in and assembled, but actually I have a question. Did you mention somewhere what a good source for #4-40 screws is? In all my electronics related purchasing I've actually never tried to buy screws that small, so a recommended place to get them from would be vastly more useful than blind google searches. Thanks a bunch.

9. Zitt

Zitt UDOOer

NerdOfEpic,
    I apologize for my late response.
    I got my Polycarbonate screws #4-40 from McMaster.com... as I got them years ago for a case mod I never finished.
    You can also get some from Amazon.com for 7cent each.

10. NerdOfEpic

NerdOfEpic New Member

My Udoo boards finally came in. I didn't order screws, but I found a few that worked well enough. (Thanks for the info either way though.) The screws I used are a little too long, but I'm not worried about a tiny bit of flexing on the Udoo poly case.

Here are a couple of pics of my setup with a 256gb Plextor 2280 M.2 that was a fraction of the cost of anything in the 2260 size at similar capacity. Putting the Udoo together was a little bit of a pain, but the end result worked fantastically well. The washer is probably completely unnecessary, but I used it anyway just to offer a better grip.

From the top:
    [​IMG]
    From the bottom:
    [​IMG]

Zitt and vpeter like this.
  11. samholton

samholton New Member

Nice was just looking at m2 drives as well. So second confirmation that no electrical connection needed for screw. Nice, about to order a 2280 drive

12. Zitt

Zitt UDOOer

Unlikely to help anyone; but Shapeways is doing a CyberMonday 10% off everything sale with Free shipping but the kicker is it has to be on orders over $25usd. These 80mm brackets aren't expensive enough unless you order one of the metal ones... but maybe you can find something else of interest on their site.

NerdOfEpic, I hope you don't mind; but I stole your first picture for use on the product page on Shapeways as I don't have an acutal bracket printed by them. If you have issues with this; please let me know and I'll figure something else out.

13. Yogesh

Yogesh New Member

I got this printed for 100Rs(1.5$) from 3deometry( http://3deometry.com/ ) at Pune, India. I had to use screw driver to widen holes to fit screws that came with the board.
    IMG_20171201_204509.jpg IMG_20171203_121959-2.jpg IMG_20171203_121220-2.jpg

Zitt likes this.
  14. malaga

malaga UDOOer

hello dear friends - great - all looks awesome.
    can i do this for the udoo Quad revision d too!?
    love to hear from you

15. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

16. malaga

malaga UDOOer

hello dear Wlatervel
    many thanks for the quick reply - great to hear from you. Thanks for the hints regarding the NAS-Creation - and the ideas regarding the Server-Ideas.

In this thread i like the cases - and the discussion about cases.

Question: can some of the above mentioned cases be applied to the Udoo Quad too?!"

17. Zitt

Zitt UDOOer

This thread is about using 80mm M2.SSDs with the 60mm M2 specified Udoo x86.
    It is not appropriate to discuss "cases" for the Quad in this thread.