Compact Bolt?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Shaarigan, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Shaarigan

Shaarigan New Member

Hey,
    I'm currently in research for a hardware project I'm doing right now building a thin/flat 7'' portable handheld/gaming tablet for an arbitary price. This once started with a Respberry Pi 3 B+ but turned out fast that the power of the Pi wasn't enougth for my purposes.

The UDOO Bolt v3 25W board seems promising but has the problem to be squared and so too large to fit into the 7'' case. Also the stacked USB and Ethernet ports are too high so I would need to remove them and reconnect with cables to the right position for the case.

My question is if there will be a compact version of the UDOO Bolt v3 board or possible to (pay a little extra to) receive a compact version with less size and at least 4GB to 8GB on-board RAM (and possible hardware ports disassembled from the board) and if not, what alternatives do I have to achieve my goals with this or equal specs/ modifiying the board by myself?

(2.8 to 3 GHz CPU, equal GPU OpenGL 4.2/GLES 3/DX12, 4GB to 8GB RAM, 32 GB eMMc, SD Card Reader, 4x USB 2.0 Port 1x HDMI Port, Standard Audio for Speakers, 1x Ethernet LAN, 1x WIFI WLan, Power Switch)

Thanks in advance
    - Shaarigan

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Heat dissipation, performance, functionality, compactness/size, and price, can only pick three.

3. Shaarigan

Shaarigan New Member

Or gain a few centimeters of compactness by adding 4GB or 8GB on-board RAM could do the trick too for example.

4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

UDOO is not currently considering other sizes for the UDOO BOLT. I recommend contacting SECO. We are working with them on developing the UDOO BOLT, and they have other boards in the pipeline that will utilise the V1000 series of chips http://www.seco.com/en/contact-us

They have an in-house manufacturing facility http://www.seco.com/en/what-we-do

5. Shaarigan

Shaarigan New Member

Thnak you for this response. I wrote an email (through the very buggy contact form of SECO) and am coriuous of the result

6. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

if you want to be reducing height, you can get some low profile ddr4 dimm's (sample: https://www.innodisk.com/en/products/dram-module/embedded/Embedded_VLP_DDR4_SODIMM ), but they have a minimum order quantity too high for consumers (i also want 4x 8gb modules sometime for 1 bolt v8 and 2 bolt v3 machines)

reducing cpu cooler height is possible by puttin a blower style fan on the heatsink instead of using a topdown fan (simply search a auction site, like ebay for example)

i am very interested in low profiling the bolt as well, so i looked into the options and the only real problem is the RAM height, if the bolt only had angled ram or low profile ram available in the shop..

anyhow, if there's a crowdsourcing project for the ram, i'd take 4x8gb (maybe even 6x8gb) sticks :)

Mikko Makela likes this.
  7. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

Count me in. I am curious about this low RAM as well. Any progress? Innodisk is doing a good job but indeed, those RAMs are not suited for consumers.

8. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Mikko Makela likes this.
  9. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

There is no doubt the top side height is due to large heatsink/fan combo, as well as
    vertically mounted DDR4 SO-DIMM. In the case of current gen BOLT, the latter is the limiting factor.

Staggered horizontal-mount or 45-degree slanted mount of the SODIMM might be a future choice (mechanical strength and board space may not really be feasible.) Special sized SODIMM module will be expensive.
    On the hand, vertical mount SODIMM socket gives people option to select their own favorite module configuration given the price consideration. Soldered SODIMM will be thinner but the board may need to be larger <-- and will no longer be flexible on RAM size.

Mikko Makela likes this.
  10. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

11. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

Yep, sad but true. However, I still managed to design the case for mobo and hardwares. It looks like all the needed items are getting together. M.2 antenna appears to be a difficult one, though. The one specified in the documentation is out of stock pretty much everywhere. I found one option from Rutronik24.com if anyone is interested to check out those guys. In Germany.

12. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

I would go with hozontal RAM socket. But Udoo is totally jam packed, so that´s a challenge for different size RAM. But to stack the RAM sockets came to my mind as one option. Although, then mods have to be done for several components. Tricky one for sure.
    -Mikko

13. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

re: horizontal socket
    I am guessing PCB needs to re-layout to add extra circuit traces to equalize the bus propagation time.
    <-- DDR4 is running at a very high speed
    I.e., not a DIY job.

evaloverde likes this.