Udoo Bolt v8 SO-DIMM RAM physical size

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Mikko Makela, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

Hi there dear fellow Udooers!

I am currently designing the case for my becoming Udoo Bolt v8 board. However, since my board is still on shop and I am just simply trying to make the best out of guessing everything, I would appreciate if you guys could kindly help me with this SO-DIMM RAM size. I noticed that there are several sizing for a laptop memory chip but my design really depends on that height factor. I found one: 31.7mm. but that varies by manufacturer, right?

So, the design could end up being amazing design or just clumsy one. I am using wood. I guess it is ok to leave the case as open model, so that air can circulate properly.
    At first, I thought that the fan might turn out to be the highest item but sure enough it is RAM chips after all I suppose.
    -Mikko

PS. If you are interested in seeing some WIP images (rendered CAD iages) of my case design, just let me know! So that I will not be spamming anyone here but for an approved purpose :)

Thank you for your time!

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Per JEDEC (the standard body) spec, SO-DIMM DDR4 dimension is
    (nominal) 69.6 mm x 30.0 mm

Variation certainly is possible (such as your 31.7mm).

Mikko Makela likes this.
  3. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

Thanks a lot! Then it is most likely possible to go with my current design. Let´s see!

4. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

Oh, balls... What is the thickness of the Udoo Bolt board (v8) itself?

5. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

From centerline of the PCB (thickness) to
    - bottom 10mm (I would suggest at least 12mm)
    - top 37mm (I would suggest 42mm)
    It is my rough estimate using a caliper and still YMMV.

evaloverde and Mikko Makela like this.
  6. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

BIG thanks again. Looks like my current slim design just did not make it to the next round. Have to plan something else. Well, that´s how it goes when creating something new, so no news.

7. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

Hi!
    I assume that these measures are for mobo (Excluding RAM height). Could you be kind and let me know how much it is with your RAM chip. Which RAM are you using (brand) and especially important detail is to know how much the memory chip comes out of the RAM socket itself. I would greatly appreciate your effort!
    However, I think that pretty much every SODIMMs are same sized as per height. There might be small variations in mm. (thickness and height mainly). Because we are talking about smaller sized RAM and those have to fit inside smaller cases. Right.
    -Mikko

8. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

Ok, I think that what actually is needed is the DIMM socket height. The "footer" part. This specific information is the most important factor. Obviously with the default fan attached to mobo. Anything taller just will not be functional.

9. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

I measure the module again: my SODIMM is 30mm height.
    Which means half of the PCB thickness plus the SODIMM socket added height is about 1.7mm.
    So total is 31.7mm.
    P.S. fan+heatsink is lower than SODIMM's total height

Mikko Makela likes this.
  10. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Correction:
    ... half of the PCB thickness plus the SODIMM socket added height is about 7mm. < -- probably less than that
    So total is 37mm.

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

instead of guessing you can also use the 3D file from here. https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/Hardware_References/Resources.html
    It will not solve your RAM height question but perhaps less guessing :)

Mikko Makela likes this.
  12. Mikko Makela

Mikko Makela UDOOer

Hi guys!
    I found that model. Thanks anyway! It took a little bit of searching but now my Udoo case has been modeled. Really like the design that I came up with that Udoo Bolt specific model. Also bought my first ever 3D printer, so that I can print it later on. Really excited to finally dive into that tech!
    -Mikko

slidvendetta and waltervl like this.