UDOO Bolt v8 - lockup on reboot, screen flashes, wireless locked

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Anthony Burow, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Anthony Burow

Anthony Burow New Member

I have the following:
    - Windows10 Home 1903
    - 2 x 16GB G.Skill PC4 19200, 2400MHz - F4-2400C16S-16GRS
    - 1 x Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
    - Laptop power supply - PowerTech 19VDC 80W max
    - Intel Wireless AC 9260 - vPro

I believe that I have isolated the screen flashing to a driver or BIOS issue. The issue does not occur unless a game is running in full screen. I've been using Minecraft as the starting point. Windowed fullscreen works fine. Fullscreen creates issues where the screen goes blank for seconds at a time making the system unusable.

The Intel wifi card is recognised, the BT component is recognised - the card is listed as disconnected. Similar to what would occur if a laptop had a switch to enable or disable the hardware. I have removed this for now to simplify troubleshooting.

The main issue that is causing grief is that every time I reboot the machine I need to switch the BIOS restore default, repower, switch off the reset, repower again.

If the reset sequence is not done then the system hangs at the UDOO Bolt boot screen - it does not progress.

I have gone into the setup menu and reset the device to factory defaults and also optimised settings and the reboot sequence continues to halt at the same place.

Any assistance in troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. Anthony Burow

Anthony Burow New Member

Thank you, this is not the issue as I am running a standard NVMe control mode.

4. Anthony Burow

Anthony Burow New Member

I believe I have managed to stabilise things under Windows10-1903.

Errors were being generated against multiple parts so, rather than work them out I have excluded them for now:
    - disabled the TPM components in BIOS (in the manual "4.3.5 Trusted computing submenu")
    - disabled the onboard eMCC 32GB drive. It started to throw errors sometime after windows was running. Disabled through Windows Device Manager.

Other changes included disabling as many of the auto detect of components from BIOS setup for PCI, M2, etc and any setting that had performance/power-saving capabilities - disabled as well.

Using 32GB RAM I also set the PCI "Above 4G decoding" to enabled (manual "4.3.12 PCI Subsystem Settings submenu")

I haven't altered any of the memory or CPU timing settings.

It's fast enough for the kids to play games on such as minecraft but testing against benchmarks based on the same embedded chipset it's under-performing significantly at the moment. The fact that it is outperforming a Dell 2in1 school laptop is a bonus. When I get time I will have a look at the performance, but time is scarce at the moment.

5. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

Have you gone into the BIOS settings and checked that it is set to use a 25W power profile (apparently many Bolts have shipped set to use a 15W profile). If not that might explain why the performance is not as expected.

6. Anthony Burow

Anthony Burow New Member

Thank you, this gave us a significant jump in performance.