How reliable is the x86 II?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Craig Johnston, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Craig Johnston

Craig Johnston UDOOer

Hi all.

I know I'm late to the party, but recently ordered a new x86 II Ultra. It arrived with the onboard Realtek ethernet not working, and I suspect also an issue with the eMMC since any OS installs warned me about the disk being corrupted.

I'm busy RMA'ing it but should I rely on the new board working 100%? Or should I look to switch to another vendor? I'd like to get a specific project going and this is holding me up, and I'd prefer to be able to rely on the hardware. A great example is that I have almost 10 Raspberry Pis and I've never had to send one back. Thats what I was expecting.

2. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I have the original UDOO Ultra x86 and run it 24x7 with no problems. No reason to suspect the x86 II should be any worse.

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I also have a Udoo X86 running 24/7 without issues. There is a test image on the eMMC that needs to be erased or overwritten before you can use it as an OS installation method.

LDighera likes this.
  4. Emmnauel Oluga

Emmnauel Oluga UDOOer

Hello Craig, did you figure out the Ethernet issue

5. Craig Johnston

Craig Johnston UDOOer

Sadly I’m losing faith in this company. My defective board was received by them 2 weeks ago. No update to the ticket, no acknowledgment that they received it, no indication when the new board will be shipped. Nothing.

6. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Hey, Craig, I've replied in another post you made. Just in case, I'm going to paste the answer here, because as Latins used to say repetita iuvant (repeating is good)

Ciao Craig,
    thank you for raising the issue. Could you please let me know (privately) your ticket number to check on the situation? Maybe you haven't read from other platforms, but the factory is having a critical issue with their new system, and all shipments are effected. They are substantially slowed down at the moment. They haven't replied because, unfortunately, they've not shipped your parcel yet.

I'm sorry the lack of communication on our part led you to this conclusion. Hopefully we'll be able to gain your trust again

7. Craig Johnston

Craig Johnston UDOOer

Just to provide an update, this issue is still not resolved after more than a month, and little to no communication to me, the customer.
    This company is not customer focused, ships defective products, and then doesn't replace them with working ones.

I'm saddened by how this has gone because I really, really wanted to use the x86 II Ultra that I purchased, but I cannot in good conscience promote or support a company who has treated me so badly. I have now asked them for a full refund of my original purchase, however they probably won't respond for another week.

8. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Ciao Craig,
    I'm sorry I couldn't reply to the last few days. I was sick and out of the office. Let me know if you received your tracking code and let me know if you have any issues with your parcel.

I apologize again for the delay, we worked (ad still are working) our hardest to make up for the factory's issues.