NO HDMI

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Chris Taylor, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor UDOOer

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help no HDMI signal absolutely nothing, Ram is to spec, HD compatible tried various monitors even my TV.

Rgds
    Chris

2. nophead

nophead UDOOer

I had to use an UDOO HDMI cable and my TV to see the BIOS. For some reason the ports are very picky as the first HDMI cable I used works with all my other SBC's, of which I have many, and so do my ASUS monitors.

I actually put a Ubuntu live image on a USB key and discovered it booted and appeared on my network before I got the HDMI port to show anything. I thought the board was dead.

3. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Sometimes, it is the proper HDMI cable that determines if there is display or not.

4. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Define proper? All my devices except UDOO Bolt work with any HDMI cable and any monitor. There is something wrong with the UDOO bolt HDMI implementation and something wrong with the BIOS firmware as even with a cable and monitor that works in Ubuntu it doesn't show the BIOS, which is a complete pain for me because I have to disconnect three perfectly good monitors in my lab and take my bolt on a trip to my TV in the lounge which has overscan.

Chris Taylor likes this.
  5. Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor UDOOer

I totally agree all my devices work with any HDMI cable and any monitor apart from the UDOO BOLT!

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

HDMI 1.1, 1.4, 1.4a, and 2.0 have slightly different spec.
    so likely UEFI firmware needs to see different signals than what an OS (with proper diver loaded) can offer.

Note: HDMI full spec has 19 leads defined, other than transmitting the video signals and timing, it has the option to carry CDC, HDC, and/or I2C
    (DCC) signals all well. So does cable allow the proper signal to pass-thru, does the HDMI monitor have the successful monitor capability/DRM negotiation, etc. can all play part in.

7. nophead

nophead UDOOer

Yes but all the HDMI specs are supposed to be backward compatible and I don't think the BIOS needs to care about DRM or put out a 4K signal, etc. All the BIOS needs to do is what my other older PC BIOSes do.

8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

I wish everyday is a sunny day.
    re: "backward compatibility", oh yeah, that's why my basement is full of old junk electronics.

9. rEvoke

rEvoke UDOOer

The same happened to me, if I connect the Udoo Bolt with an HDMI and try to enter the BIOS, it would not show anything. However, if I would connect the HDMI cable to a USB-C adapter, it would show the boot process. That's weird

10. rEvoke

rEvoke UDOOer

I found a way to change it to the HDMI output, the problem is that you need to access the BIOS, which makes it a catch 22, if interested, you can find those details here:
    BIOS -> Advanced -> AMI Graphic Output Protocol Policy -> Output Select -> DFP4_HDMI

11. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

The above BIOS setting seems to be "hardcoding" the output display port to specific port,
    independent of (or overriding) the detection (initial negotiation) result.

12. hybotics

hybotics UDOOer

I have not had any problems with my UDOO Bolt V8 and HDMI with any HDMI cable I have. It all just worked right out of the box.

8-Dale