Custom Music Studio Desk with UDOO Bolt

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Marko Aamunkajo, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Marko Aamunkajo

Marko Aamunkajo UDOOer

Hi everyone,

I have just completed a custom built desk for my music studio. I wanted to have a separate standing desk that works as a synth/controller station and runs on it's own dedicated computer. It also holds all the cables inside the desk and helps keeping the studio tidy.

UDOO Bolt is small enough to go under the table and also not producing too much heat even when under heavy CPU load so temperatures are not an issue.

[​IMG]

Teak Wood desk:
    -----------------------------------
    The standing desk is completely custom made at the local wood shop with height of 90cm and width of 140cm. Ideally, I could have gone a bit wider but the space is just perfect for my studio.

There is a 5cm cavity running underneath the desk and two cable access holes through the table. Nothing special there. The cavity and black box together will create a tall enough space to fit in a rack power bar, UDOO Bolt, power adapters and cables.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW: My original idea was to build a push controller inside the desk as well but the local shop was not happy doing such precise and complicated order (I live in Thailand, shops typically have only the most basic tools and skill level varies).

The Metal Box:
    -----------------------

So the box has to fill two basic necessities: keep everything secure and dust-free under the desk and to have a good enough airflow to keep electronics cool. I draw this one with SketchUp Online. The basic things you see in the picture: 1) 2x grille for providing airflow inside box 2) Cutout hole underneath the box for easy access. The box cover will be held in place with magnets.

[​IMG]

Completed box at the factory. The nice black powder-coating really makes a difference!
    [​IMG]

The magnets are glued inside the desk to hold the cover in place. The red power bar will be mounted with screws to the table and the cable needs to go through the metal box, so a hole needed there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Bolt has a standard size power button and it will be mounted underneath the box, so a hole required there.
    [​IMG]

Bolt fitted inside the box. Ventilation holes are covered with filter fabric to keep the dust out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done and ready to be moved to my studio! Box now mounted to the desk and all cables hidden inside the box. Here you can see the access hole cover and also the power button for Udoo!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

waltervl likes this.
  2. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

That's so cool! Thank you for sharing. Original indeed! I'm pretty ignorant in regards to music. How are you using the BOLT i this setting?

3. Marko Aamunkajo

Marko Aamunkajo UDOOer

Thank you Eva!

Bolt is connected to a RME soundcard to bring audio signals in and out, a keyboard and push controller for controlling hardware/software. There is also a separate touch screen that is not visible in the pictures and I am able to connect wirelessly to a bigger tv whenever needed.

On the software side Bolt is running Windows 10 and has couple of DAW software licenses on it and sample/loop manipulation plugins such as Accusonus Rhythmic, Native Instruments Kontakt as well as modular VCV Rack which can interface with software and hardware modular world.

So this way I can jam and create loops, sounds and ideas on this station and sync it wirelessly with my bigger studio workstation using Ableton Link, effectively making me focus more on creativity instead of technical mixing stuff while reducing CPU load on the main computer. Bolt is powerful enough to be used in audio recording, synthesis and even in more complex settings.

Maybe in the future I will make the onboard Arduino to connect with custom controllers, using a custom firmware called Opendeck, but that is a story for another time...

4. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Ciao Marko,
    thank you for explaining! It sounds like you're enjoy your BOLT very much! In case you install the Arduino upgrades please let me know, I would love to see it!

5. Romeo21

Romeo21 New Member

Hmm, I would be very interested to see how your table will look like in the final version, I think it will be very cool.

6. Romeo21

Romeo21 New Member

My brother has been playing music professionally for many years. He says that a comfortable desk is fundamental. Therefore, he had been looking for a comfortable desktop for a long time so that the controller and all the necessary equipment could fit. On the advice of a friend on one site, he found a very cool Eureka Ergonomic model. Because you can work while standing, your back is not so heavily loaded. And generally, you work much more productively when you have a properly organized workplace.