BIOS BETA UPDATE 1.06RC04

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by evaloverde, Dec 19, 2019.

1. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

EDIT. A new version is available here https://www.udoo.org/docs-bolt/BIOS_UEFI_and_Tools/BIOS_UEFI_Update.html

it's version 1.08 .

Ciao guys,
    we're working on a BIOS update aimed to improve known issues you guys have requested to solve.

What I'm about to link is not an official release, but a release candidate (RC from now on) for you guys to test. You may incur into issues, so please keep that in mind before installing it. You can choose to go back to the previous release if you choose after installation, so if something goes wrong we got you covered.

Direct link to the update: https://udoo.org/download/files/UDOO_BOLT/UEFI_update/UDOOBOLT_C40-UEFI_Update_rel106RC04.zip

Now, to the instructions!

DO NOT POWER OFF the board while flashing.
    Do NOT interrupt this process while is running.
    - Please use 19V Power Supply, not the USB-C power.

FOR WINDOWS USERS
    - extract where you want example desktop
    - go inside the "Bios" folder and copy the file called "C400RC04.106"
    - go inside the folder "Flash tools\Updater\Windows\64" and past the file
    - on the top bar of the Windows file explorer click on "File -> Open Windows Power Shell -> Open Windows Power Shell as administrator
    - type ".\bios_updater_x64.bat .\C400RC04.106" and press Enter

DO NOT POWER OFF the board while flashing.
    - After flashing is complete, power off the board, disconnect and reconnect the power cable.
    - When you reconnect the power wait up to 3 minutes and a couple of reboots until you see the newer version of the firmware of Embedded Controller and USB-C Controller in the configuration screen.

FOR LINUX USERS:
    - install Linux headers
    - untar ./BiosUpdate/Flash tools/Updater/Linux/bios_updater_x64.tar
    - sudo ./bios_updater_x64.sh /path/to/bios

IMPORTANT: It takes a few restarts for the update to be completely installed, and there's no visual feedback on that yet. In the meantime, the system might be slower.

We remain at your disposal for any help, explanation, etc we can give.

Thank you SO much for helping us.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Marko Aamunkajo

Marko Aamunkajo UDOOer

Hi @evaloverde I have just updated this firmware, the process went smoothly on Windows 64 bit.

However now I notice boot times have gone up to 1 minute. I'm using NVMe drive so I'd be expecting half of this. My guess is that new BIOS is waiting for something before proceeding to boot Windows. I see a black screen for quite some time during boot now. Also powering off has roughly 15 seconds delay after Windows has shut down.

Not sure what to expect here hence my report. I hope it helps!

evaloverde likes this.
  3. evaloverde

Hello, thank you for the report! It's extremely helpful to us. It takes a few restarts for the update to be completely installed. If this keeps on, please let us know.

4. Wynne Crisman

Wynne Crisman New Member

I installed the BIOS beta linked above using the Linux method, and it was successful. I would suggest a link to instructions on how to install the headers (https://www.tecmint.com/install-kernel-headers-in-ubuntu-and-debian/). I was unable to install from the BIOS because the instructions indicating a menu option that does not seem to exist (#3 .. "UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell"). The closest option gave a worthless error message (I forget what it was). This should be tested by engineers.

I would like to know how to use this new bios to set the fan speed so it is always on at a low speed except when the CPU gets hot enough to warrant a faster speed. I don't want the fan to ever turn off because the noise difference between off and all on is shocking to the user (and thus annoying). If I can get this problem fixed I would purchase more computers.

Like others have mentioned, the bios load time to the OS is now extremely long.

5. Kongbaraku

Kongbaraku New Member

BIOS BETA UPDATE 1.06RC04
    i found Blue Screen DPC_Watchdog_VIOLATION

6. Stardust

Stardust UDOOer

evaloverde likes this.
  7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

i applied this firmware patch, but the fan seems to still turn on (100%) and off constantly when doing nothing more than just browsing the web..
    do i have to adjust the temps in the bios?
    is there no PWM?

8. Top Quark

Top Quark UDOOer

When is the final version of BIOS going to be available? I can hardly use my Bolt since I bought it. Frustrating.

9. evaloverde

Hey there, the update just needs to be certified officially, but it works and is completely safe to use on your UDOO BOLT. Download it at the link above and start experimenting!

10. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Thanks for the update, I applied the parch a week or two ago and the fan still turns on and off a lot, and when it's on, it's always 100%, so not apparent PWM.

Is this working as expected or a bug?

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Did you restart a couple of times after the BIOS update (as indicated in the first message)?

evaloverde likes this.
  12. Peter Smith

Peter Smith UDOOer

I have also tried the EFI update method without success, any update on if this is actually possible?

13. Peter Smith

Peter Smith UDOOer

But I did apply the update fine using the Linux method :)

evaloverde likes this.
  14. evaloverde

Glad it worked :)

15. Xathian

Xathian UDOOer

This did absolutely nothing of value for me. Installed, rebooted a few times, new Firmware and ISB-C firmware appeared in the BIOS, and nothing of value changed. The fans still alternate between 0% and 100% based on whether I am above or below 40C temperatures. Now the fan even sometimes stays on at 100% EVEN AFTER I POWER THE BOLT DOWN. Only way to stop it is to unplug the power supply.

rdslw, Gordon Chiam and Top Quark like this.
  16. evaloverde

Hey Xanthian. Please open a ticket regarding the issue, your fan might be faulty.

17. Top Quark

Top Quark UDOOer

We would like to know what the solution is because this problem is not unique to just few units. Please advice the solution.

18. evaloverde

@Top Quark, from what my colleagues from the tech team told me, it's not the same problem for everyone. Some people didn't install it correctly, others had other issues. So please open a ticket, 'cause I can't help from here.

19. Craig Johnston

Craig Johnston UDOOer

I noticed the same behavior. I would love to know how to configure it so that the fan spins to keep the CPU cool all the time, yet at an RPM that is barely audible, and then ramp up to 100% when the CPU reaches 75 degrees. I have not been able to figure out how to configure this.

20. Göran Mannberg

Göran Mannberg New Member

I updated with the linux method, I got no errors when applying the update

I have rebooted my Bolt 6 times. Fan behavior is exactly the same as before. Fan is at 0% or 100% speed. Boot time is now about 2 minutes. Before the bios update my Bolt booted in a couple of seconds.

Kernel version 5.3.0-40
    latest updates just before I updated the Bolt bios

I cant believe it but the update made my Bolt worse. How do I downgrade this update?

I made a youtube movie of my last reboot, sorry for the bad image quality and poor sound quality. But you get the ide