Gear kernel power issue on burst

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by remy99c, Apr 21, 2021.

1. remy99c

remy99c New Member

Hey all, my brand new udoo bolt gear has an issue for my usecase; it crashes.

Its running windows server 2019, 2x 8gb ram and an nvme drive. Using the included power brick.

All works fine until the cpu continuesly bursts (specifically in a script for compressed downloads) or has been idle for a while and is waken up by a sudden spike such as starting up demanding software.

Additionally i notice a whining noise coming from the hear once powered off with the power still plugged in.

Is this a known issue or do i have to rma my gear.

Thanks in advance.

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

I don't know if it is a nown issue. However, I'll share my general obervation on CPU Speed Boost:

I have seen numerous instance on modern CPU architecture that is counting on instantaneous CPU clock ramping up (Speed Boost) as well as other peripheral devices (e.g., GPU, hard drive, hardware accelerators, etc.) demanding power in a bursty manner.
    Note that there is not a single moment that a CPU (or other devices) can tolerate very-short duration power drop, even in milli-second short period!
    When power drop in that fashion (tech term: brown out), the entire PC will freeze/crash.

The way to solve problem is to have a good power supply (power adaper, DC cable, connector, and large-enough output side electrolytic capacitor to dampen the voltage drop) or ove-spec the power supply.
    I've done this type of ugly fix (adding an extra 4700uF 25V capacitor near the PC side, on my own.) Or get a very high quality power supply. It is the golden rule of long term stability: no corner cut.

3. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

Whining/hissing sound from the bolt is known problem, there is a thread somewhere around this forum. It went away for me when I connected a USB Hub at the back of the unit.
    I am interested on the driver support for Windows Server 2019, like which devices are not found?

4. remy99c

remy99c New Member

As far as i can tell all devices are found just fine, didn't look for any drivers for Arduino tho.

5. remy99c

remy99c New Member

Would that mean the included power brick with the Gear is enough or not stable/clean enough to handle the cpu bursts?
    I could try with usb-c power but im not sure if thats any better. I dont have another PSU compatible to try with sadly.

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Hard to say. What I have the BOLT in the Kickstarter phase, which did not come with a power supply.
    Getting a high quality power supply is a must in any PC.