The UDOO team wants your thoughts!

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by evaloverde, Apr 15, 2021.

1. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Hey UDOOers,
    we're working on something new and still unannounced, and we thought t would be perfect to share with you and get your thoughts before we move on with development. We need the help of our UDOOers to make sure it turns out to be exactly what you want.

We're planning on creating a new UDOO board combining Raspberry RP2040 and UDOO technology to bring something new and different to the market you guys might like. What do you think? We'll wait for your feedback!

wind.gmbh and stecolumna like this.
  2. Nigel Brown

Nigel Brown UDOOer

What a fantastic idea, we have been using the rp2040 in house already as a way of interfacing SPI and I2C devices and mapping the processed data into our main CPU board. BIG thumbs up from everyone at FloatRower

evaloverde likes this.
  3. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear evaloverde,
    I am very interested in the projects of the UDOO team and I am sure that this new project will also be exciting.
    Thank you for involving us in the prototype phase.
    Stefano Colonna

cara evaloverde,
    io sono molto interessato ai progetti del team di UDOO e sono sicuro che anche questo nuovo progetto sarà entusiasmante.
    Grazie per averci coinvolto nella fase prototipale
    Stefano Colonna

evaloverde likes this.
  4. Creative_UDOO

Creative_UDOO UDOOer

I have to be honest, UDOO Bolt at the moment are on 4 Cores and they are behide the time at the moment and they need be in FRONT if they want keep their UDOO Bolt Market going!

There is Ryzen Mini PC that is out which is 8 Cores( AMD Ryzen 7 4800U) and if I was UDOO Bolt maker then I would release 8 Cores UDOO Bolt as then People would buy it.

I do seem think UDOO Bolt 4 Cores computer price is so High where for most people would look elsewhere to buy like AMD Ryzen 7 4500U (much cheaper than UDOO Bolt !) or go for more Powerful AMD Ryzen 7 4800U

rickster and evaloverde like this.
  5. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear evaloverde,
    I use with success and great satisfaction the first model of UDOO BOLT V8 with 32 GB of RAM to which I connected 3 monitors. I need 2 more USB C ports because I used 1 USB C port to connect a monitor via USB-C to HDMI and 1 USB C port with UDOO's USB-C to 3 USB-A HUB and now I no longer have any free USB-C ports.
    Thanks in advance,
    Stefano Colonna

cara evaloverde
    io uso con successo e molta soddisfazione il primo modello di UDOO BOLT V8 con 32 GB di RAM a cui ho collegato 3 monitor.
    Avrei bisogno di altre 2 porte USB C perchè ho usato 1 porta USB C per collegare un monitor tramite USB-C to HDMI e 1 porta USB C con l'HUB USB-C to 3 USB-A di UDOO e adesso non ho più alcuna porta USB-C libera.
    Grazie
    Stefano Colonna

IMG_20210315_235712_X1080_80.jpg IMG_20210315_235854_X1080_80.jpg IMG_20210315_235934_X1080_80.jpg IMG_20210316_000039_X1080_80.jpg

evaloverde, wind.gmbh and rdslw like this.
  6. GreyGnome

GreyGnome New Member

Depends on the price point. Right now, the UDOO Bolt is interesting to me from the perspective of a htpc/nas system that also allows me to also exercise my maker dreams. But I don't have a Bolt. Why? Because it's behind the times as an htpc, and it's expensive for a little nas. For the price, I can get a T-Bao with a Ryzen 5 3550H. If I want more power to really run some games, I can get a Brix with an R5-4500u.
    If I want a NAS only, I can get a cheaper PC. Connecting a PC to an Arduino is not an issue on any platform. Putting it together on one board is cool, but connecting and Arduino is doable in any case.

With the RP2040 and a couple of other upgrades, you might have something. How about the AMD R5-4500u CPU? Now there's some power, and with the added benefit of the RP2040. I don't know much about the RP2040 ecosystem, though. Maybe offer the add-on processor as a daughter card, like they do with the motherboard networking on, for example, the Dell and HP servers? So then we can opt to stay with the Arduino ecosystem, or branch out.

Just my $0.02. I think a swappable daughtercard could be neat. It would be helpful if I blew out the microcontroller accidentally.

rickster and evaloverde like this.
  7. GreyGnome

GreyGnome New Member

...oh, "Just my $0.02" means, "Just my 2 cents." It's an expression that means something like, "my cheap little opinion that may not be worth much." I forgot for a moment this was probably an internation audience. :oops:

evaloverde likes this.
  8. wind.gmbh

wind.gmbh UDOOer

I was led to buying several Udoo Bolts because I was looking for several power efficient x86 devices to play with.
    Therefore I tend to be a lot more interested in a product based on the Ryzen Embedded V2000 (Zen 2) series.

(I acknowledge that there's a chip shortage going on, so despite my preferences, it is probably always better to work on a product whose components are actually obtainable.
    I know that RISC computing is probably 'the future'. Unfortunately the systems that I run on my Udoos are for the most part not ARM compatible for now and won't be in the near future.)

evaloverde likes this.
  9. Nigel Brown

Nigel Brown UDOOer

The RP2040 is an Arduino equivalent Dual Dore M0+ ARM That you could use as a co-processor, its power comes not only from being an ARM based CPU but also that it has PIO. It could not replace the Ryzen element of the Udoo but would be an enhancement and a step up to the current embedded Arduino on the Udoo system. You can use the Arduino IDE to program it and therefore only have a positive impact on the current system. The RP2040 in module format is very low cost for such a powerful chip @ £3.50

evaloverde likes this.
  10. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

I think there should be two embedded MCUs. One is to have a tight integration with UDOO main CPU, such as controlling its power state/system mgmt functions.
    The other is an Arduino (I meant working with its IDE) capable MCU. Currently, RP2040 isn't there yet. On today's situation, I would consider STM32F4xx series or Teensy 3.x or even better, 4.x series.

evaloverde likes this.
  11. Nigel Brown

Nigel Brown UDOOer

Hi, I am using the RP2040 with the Arduino IDE now, is there something I am not quite following? Arduino themselves are about to release their own Arduino Nano RP2040 connect that will also be able to use the currently available IDE?

evaloverde likes this.
  12. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Nice, my info is obsolete. Offical Arduino IDE is out.
    Performance in some cases, so so. See

evaloverde likes this.
  13. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

On post #8, I'd say add some power rail separation options (cut a ckt trail) such that dual power (stby and ops power) can be used.

evaloverde likes this.
  14. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Yes, lets make a low cost successor of the Udoo Neo, combine the RPI Pico with the RP2040!

evaloverde likes this.
  15. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Sorry, too enthousiastic. I meant: combine RPi Zero with RPi Pico (RP2040).

evaloverde and Nigel Brown like this.
  16. gwur

gwur UDOOer

For me to consider another Bolt I would look for the following:
    1. Intel NIC (Deal breaker, would not buy another Bolt with RealTek NIC)
    2. PCIe slot (Even x1, I keep running into connectivity barriers right now due to the lack of non M.2 PCIe. Happy to give up M.2 SATA drive for a PCIe x1 slot)
    3. Ryzen V2718, V2516, 5500U, 4500U. 6 cores minimum (The benefit of Bolt is lower power consumption, if going for Ryzen GE the power consumption would increase so stay with embedded or laptop)
    4. Change to CPU fan compatibility (A more standard header and mount support. I am currently using Noctua NF-A6x25 from external PWM but it would be good to not have extra wires, and easier way to mount it.)
    5. Dual NIC (Intel, not RealTek. Dual NICs would great.)
    6. Thunderbolt (Improvement over USB-C and allows to plug in extra devices)
    It is possible to buy a computer like Intel NUC, and still do all of the maker stuff externally. So why buy Bolt?

I would suggest that having dual Intel NICs means that a lot of people who want to have a small homelab would see the device as an option. People considering home firewalls would also look at it as an option (maybe have a 4 core variant for something like this?). There is not a lot out there for low power dual Intel NIC. The PCIe slot would mean that extra devices can be plugged in like an upgraded graphics card or additional NIC, or HBA, or an extra SSD, or some other device. Low power home NAS with HBA and ECC RAM!

Having 6 cores and a newer processor means that HTPC also becomes an option with good transcoding.

So please consider those items. There is a gap. Otherwise I don't know why not buy Intel NUC.

17. gwur

gwur UDOOer

Really should have written x4 slot. The difficulty right now is if buying M.2 to PCIe adapter then M.2 NVME is lost as the easy to find adapters are are Key-M. The adapters are also expensive. If loosing M.2 NVME then need to use the SATA slot for storage but it is 2260 or 2242, and that is expensive. So it is not a good situation for anyone looking to connect a PCIe device.

rickster likes this.