Booting from SATA setup.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mattt, Sep 10, 2014.

1. mattt

mattt New Member

I am trying to setup UDOO debian squeeze to boot from a SATA HDD. I have followed the guide at http://www.elinux.org/UDOO_boot_from_sata. I cannot even get past copying the debian image to the HDD. This guide says you can use win32diskimager which is untrue, this program can only be used to write to USB drives. I have tried flashing the image using DD which results in a corrupted partition and I cannot use FS Tarball as I do not have a SATA/USB adapter. I am extremely frustrated with the Udoo and lack of support. I can't even search for this issue on the forums as the word SATA is filtered from the forum search. Is there a more user friendly guide available to achieve booting udoo from SATA?

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

The way I do it is leave the kernel still on the sd card and just install the RFS on the sata drive .
    That way it`s easier to upgrade or change the kernel with a added fall back if things go wrong.

O.K this is what I do and how I do it :-

1/ use win32diskimager and make a working image on the sd card.
    2/ Run it far a couple of days on the sd card, update and upgrade it , etc
    3/ Use a second computer or SBC running Linux ( I use a cubieboard ) to copy the image to the sata drive.
    ---- on second computer , using putty or terminal ---
    4/ make a partition etc ( fdisk ), and make it usable :- mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 , or what ever
    5/ mount the sd card .. eg mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sd ? ... from memory !!!
    6/ mount the sata drive .. eg mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sata
    7/ Copy using cp all file from the sd card to the sata drive with :-
    cp -r -p /mnt/sd/* /mnt/sata
    8/ umount and put the sd card and sata drive back on the udoo.
    9/ use uboot to set the working RFS directory ... ONLY THE RFS , still use the kernel and uboot on the sd card .

3. feilipu

feilipu New Member

You can try to follow these instructions. Possibly they're a little more concise than the eLinux page.
    http://feilipu.me/2013/11/16/sata-on-udoo/
    It is worth adding a SATA drive to the UDOO. I've a few of these ARM based devices, and they're generally too unresponsive (like wading through a sea of molasses) to function as a reasonable desktop replacement. The UDOO, through the SATA drive, becomes so much more responsive, and finally workable.

tuxun likes this.