USB instead micro SD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xwalter, Sep 15, 2014.

1. xwalter

xwalter Member

Good morning
    I would like to know if it is possible to use the third USB instead the micro SD to host the image od operating system .
    Normally a micro SD has some milions of accesses and if I think the several background operations are executed each time I suppose the micro SD will work for a few time .So , UDOO allows to use an external hard disk , but for my embedded application I prefer to use the USB .
    In this case I have to remove the micro SD from its slot and create the OS image into the USB pen drive .....
    I hope to somebody responds to me .....
    thanks
    WP

2. xwalter

xwalter Member

HDMI -> VGA adapter

I have an old VGA monitor , Samsung Syncmaster 15xx, and Ithink it's enaugh to use with a UDOO board.
    I also have an HDMI -> VGA converter and a male - male VGA cable
    I hope to be able to use this configuration , but I want to ask if any issue will occour and burn my UDOO , for example .....
    Does somebody can respond about this problem ?
    Thanks
    WP

3. peter247

peter247 New Member

I would say that you can put the RFS on a usb stick , but the uboot HAS to be still on the sd card , so you can`t do away with the sd card.

4. xwalter

xwalter Member

into the UDOO configuration in U-boot device it is possible to select microSD or SATA or File system
    I suppose it isn't possible to use the USB pen drive for the OS
    But anyway nobody of the support team are interested ....this is no good ....

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

The short answer is no- at least not entirely. As indicated you MUST initiate the boot process from the microSD, but you can configure it to then switch over to a USB for the rest of the boot and the kernel and such. Basically the SD is just there to support the loading of the uboot code.

To do this, however, you'll have to change the uboot settings manually - the config tools don't support that setup by default (but it should be pretty easy to set up. Just change it to point from the SATA port/drive to the blk device on the USB stick...)

6. xwalter

xwalter Member

ok thank you .