Serial comm with UDOO

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by xwalter, Sep 16, 2014.

1. xwalter

xwalter Member

Hi .
    My target is to develop application for UDOO using udooUbuntu
    Into my new UDOO board I have installed the official OS , udooUbuntu (microSD)
    What I want to do is something like window application such as windows applications.In windows I have Visual Studio , Netbeans ect to develop .
    In UDOO I saw there are two development enviroments : Bluefish and Codeblocks .
    But if I want to create some windows application how to procede ? I have to work with Bluefish using java ? In codeblocks how ?
    Does the udooUbuntu include into the distro also the libreries for those scopes ?
    The terminal is ok for an expert user but in home automation for example the users want to launch application by a button .... I don't want at the moment to use Android to have a friendly interface .
    Where to find documentation ? Ubuntu official documetnation is correct or UDOO has some limites ?
    Thanks for answers ....
    WP

2. indianerjones

indianerjones New Member

This is a question that covers a very broad spectrum. You are looking at a fairly normal Ubuntu, apart from it being compiled for an ARM cpu and having several Udoo-related programs pre-installed. So you can use any guide on programming GUI software on Linux. It also heavily depends on the language you are coding in. Java, Python, C and almost any language offer their own variety of GUI libraries, most of them easily accessible in Ubuntu via apt-get.
    So you will have to do some more research on GUI programming in general, I think.

3. xwalter

xwalter Member

Thanks for your answer , Indiana .
    Well , I'm researching about ubuntu programming language and/or tools.
    Looking at youtube and google research I found several discussion and tutorial.
    I saw in udoobunt there are Codeblocks ,python , bluefish .
    At the moment I would like to understand what to do if I use Codeblocks , for example vxWidget to create a GUI application.
    I'm not interesting to use udoo for graphical 2D or 3D gaming or application .My target is to learn linux/ubuntu , terminal powerfull functions and to create an environment where to communicate over the serial port to<--->from Arduino Due and to write a library for that ...why not .....
    Try to image ,I'd like to use udoo as a special HMI panel which handles several functions : server,database , xml , windows and more with the external world and the serial port to communicate with arduino to acquire or to write data , for examples to read temperature or push button or switches or to command some relays ect ......
    I have been working in industrial automation for 15 years , but I program PLC (siemens , wago , rockwell ) and HMI panel or Pc uder windows using visual studio or netbeans-java .
    What I'm gonna do is to create an udoo system to use in home automation , so because I nedd the serial port .
    But anyway as you told me up , I know I have to learn more about linux / ubuntu

4. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Hi xwalter,
    hope my post isn't considered as spam. We are working on a domotic framework in java and now we are developing a web interface for better performances on embedded systems.
    If you want take a look at freedomotic-udoo-t345.html
    About serial communication (in java) we are trying JSSC (https://github.com/freedomotic/freedomo ... ts-Service) instead of rxtx.
    Soon I'll try it on Udoo.
    Thanks and sorry for disturb

5. xwalter

xwalter Member

I like your project
    I have senn about it but for a few time
    I will take more informations about it ASAP
    Pratically your hmi panel based on udoo is what I would like to create .
    Are you using udooubuntu as OS for the panel?
    Thanks for the informations and dont' worry , isnt'a disturb for me
    Ciao
    Walter

6. xwalter

xwalter Member

In your project you're using this code to create a serial object
    SerialHelper usb = new SerialHelper("/dev/ttyUSB0", 19200, 8, 1, 0, new SerialPortListener() ......
    I think if we change /dev/ttyUSB0 with / dev/ttymxc3 we can use serial port in udoo to communicat with Arduino due via java code :?
    Do you know if there is a method to set ubuntu environment in java , I mean instead to set the baudrate for example using the terminal , make this job by sending a string in java ..... ?

7. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

8. xwalter

xwalter Member

credo si possa scrivere anche in italiano , viste le generalità di entrambe .
    Ti ringrazio per l'offerta , di lavorare insieme.
    E' sicuramente una cosa che faro' , ma non ora .
    Sto lavorando e sto frequentando l'università e lunedi ho anche un esame
    Nel frattempo nei ritagli di tempo sto visitando il tuo sito con grande interesse , anche se con la UDOO dovrei inizare a capirci da settimana prox.
    Per quanto riguarda java e la programmazione ad oggetti me la cavicchio , conoscevo meglio c# ma quest'anno ho fatto java all'uni.
    Se nel tuo software open source stai implementando dei design patterns , ti avviso che faccio fatica a visualizzarli
    Vorrei chiederti una cosa riguardo udoo e la sua programmazione , in quanto nonostante il poco tempo faccio fatica a decollare , purtroppo la documentazione non mi soddisfa per quanto voglio chiederti ; sulla micro sd della scheda ci sono installati codeblocks e python .Per quanto riguarda java non sono sicuro ma credo non sia installato , al limite appena apprendo i comandi da terminali per capirlo lo faro'
    Nel caso non sia installato cosa mi consigli di scaricare ed installare ....javaSE oppure javaEE ?
    Poi invece come ambiente di sviluppo per java cosa ne dici di Netbeans , e' troppo pesante per la UDOO ?
    Netbeans lo uso sotto windows 7 con 8 giga di ram ma la udoo seppur un mini pc potente non saprei , non ne conosco ancora le caratteristiche
    Cmq se gira python con l'interprete e tutto il resto credo che anche java possa girare bene , pero ' non saprei cosa installare
    Se mi dai queste info , in modo tale che posso progredire io mi porto avanti , diversamente non saprei come aiutarti
    ciao e grazie
    Walter

9. xwalter

xwalter Member

using Netbeans on udoo it's possible , and also to install the rxtx library
    Netbeans compiles without any problems
    But when I start the application some errors occurs .The problem is that the ARM processor doesn't like that library .
    In ubuntu on a desktop x86_64 or i86 there are not any issues.
    Otherwise there several GUI applications as Arduino IDE for examples that uses the serial port and give buttons , windows and else .
    The uddo is a mini pc with ubuntu installed but a different processor .This is because several library in java o other languages don't work .I wati from udoo team some suggestion o some library to use this processor on them udoo OS