Ethernet Connection and other

Discussion in 'Android' started by Castberry, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Castberry

Castberry New Member

I'm having a problem with ehternet connection on UDOO Quad. After I plug LAN cable, nothing happen and andorid detects nothing. Is there any quick fix or help?

The second thing is software pop-up keyboard. Is there an option to turn it on? I know I can use external one but in the final of my project I will be using a touch screen.

Thank you for your replies.

2. Suppaman

Suppaman New Member

Android doesn't have native management of ethernet than also if you connect the cable the kernel detect the connection but since android doesn't care about it you don't see any visual advise. However, once properly configured, you can browse internet through ethernet if your network is enabled for it. Currently the only way to configure ethernet is to use the command line "ifconfig" tool (for assign IP).

3. bhakta

bhakta New Member

Can you provide more details on this? I'd like to use the ethernet port for internet/remote management, and setup the wifi as a hotspot.

Will apps request a particular connection? USB, Ethernet, Wifi, Cellular?

4. ciphertooth

ciphertooth New Member

Wired Ethernet connection settings patch application

I found a file that is supposed to patch android during the build to add an editor to the settings for all Ethernet devices (like Udoo's wired one) and allow the "settings" to be set.

I don't know if it will work or not, but I am about to try to compile the source because I need to set the wired IP address manually (static address) and have it stay, to make my project work. (A server should have a static IP address...)

I am uploading the file in hopes that someone who actually knows what they are doing will patch the sources and add this desperately needed feature to the image.

The file comes from https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-93626

There may be maore patches then the one I attached required, but they are at the link...

Who wants to be a hero?

or wants help me figure out how to do this?

Jerry

Attached Files:

5. picard47at

picard47at New Member

Hello!

I have the same issue while trying Ethernet network connection with Android on my Udoo.

I tried to set the ip configuration in USB debug mode.

I totally followed the process in the below page, plug miniUSB to CN6 (with J18 and J2 jumpers plugged):

http://www.elinux.org/UDOO_configure_Et ... er_Android

The terminal I use is putty, the process is following the page below:

http://www.udoo.org/ProjectsAndTutorial ... ial-cable/

I seemed to set the ip configuration (with the static IP address) correctly, yet the Ethernet doesn't work at all.

Thank you for any reply.

6. disneysw

disneysw New Member

Using adb try running the commands "busybox ifconfig eth0 down" followed by "busybox ifconfig eth0 up" then check to see if you see the following warning message:

eth0: Freescale FEC PHY driver [Generic PHY] (mii_bus:phy_addr=1:06, irq=-1)
    Warning: Product ID of physical layer not recognized [id = 0x1622 unknown]
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

If you do there is a good chance that the hardware is not being initialized correctly. For me the only solution was to pull the Ethernet cable and then reconnect it - a hardware reset did not clear the issue!

It seems later builds of the board used a PHY with a different ID to the origional boards. Going by this link https://github.com/UDOOboard/Kernel_Uni ... eco_UDOO.c some source was updated to support this device (0x1622).

On you build the file is probably "kernel/arch/arm/mach-mx6/board-mx6_udoo.c

See if it contains something like:
    Code:
    #define KSZ9031_id2 0x1622

case KSZ9031_id2:
    printk("Activating ethernet physical layer Micrel KSZ9031 Gigabit PHY.\n");
    phy_write(phydev, 0x0d, 0x0002); // reg. select operation
    phy_write(phydev, 0x0e, 0x0008); // reg. idx address
    phy_write(phydev, 0x0d, 0x4002); // data operation - no autoinc.
    phy_write(phydev, 0x0e, 0x03FF);
    break;

If not try adding a handler for the device.