Android on UDOO, how to power it down?

Discussion in 'Android' started by frada, Apr 26, 2014.

1. frada

frada New Member

Hi all,

I own a UDOO Quad with Android v4.3 JB and a 7" LCD display installed and working.

I would like to know if there is a way to power down correctly my UDOO without an external keyboard or a serial link to a PC.

At first I thought that the PWb/SW2 pushbutton near the reset button had this feature but i doesn't do anything even if I keep it pressed for several seconds.

I also observed that using an external keyboard equipped with a power button (A4Tech model KL-5), when I briefly press the power button Android goes into a sleep state but the 7" LCD keep displaying the last image shown when Android was running but that periodically modify its brightness and color (frequency of about 1 Hz); instead the image shown on an external monitor connected to the HDMI video output regularly becomes black.

In this state, if I press the power button againg, Android returs to be operative but the touch screen doesn't work anymore; I must restart the system to have the touchscreen working again.

I also noted that if I keep pressed the power button on the external keyboard for several seconds, the Android power control menù appears on the screen but, if I confirm the intention to switch off Android, after some seconds the system seems to hang completely and to remain locked for about 1 minute (it desn't respond to any external command) then restarts by itself.

Thank you in advance for any hint on how to solve these problems.

Regards.

2. Tatsuya

Tatsuya New Member

Have u tried to hold the power button (the pvb) on the board instead of the one on the keyboard?

3. Halloween

Halloween Member

I can confirm it, it's not working.

- Power Button (UDOO Board) is not working (also holding the button)
    - Shutdown (Android Power Popup) is not working (System Freeze)
    - Also it's not working to call the "Power Off" menu with "Long Press Mouse Button" at the Desktop Screen of Android.

I've tested it with the Android 4.3 UDOO Image.

Can you fix it? Because now I have to switch it everytime "Hard Off" to pull the "AC/DC Cable" :)

Thanks.

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

We've got this issue on our to-do list for a long time now. Guess it's now time to fix it (next release probably).

5. Halloween

Halloween Member

That would be fine :)

6. mjdousti

mjdousti New Member

Is it possible to lock the device, i.e., bringing up the lock screen?

7. idorel77

idorel77 Member

when will be the next release?

8. delba

Late August/Early September

9. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Any news about release ? :)

10. delba

Nope, no ETA yet. :(

11. Halloween

Halloween Member

It's the end of September with no results. I understand it, but that's not good :)

I know the whole team wasn't at work for a long time (August/September), and all was standing still, so... only a few posts, no news, no shop product returns severance (it took 2 months to get my money back).

Anyway, it's ok what the team is doing, but it's not good for your UDOO product.

You have to say what the team is doing now, each week, so everyone can see and understand why nothing happens.

Because, I'm asking myself, why I should use an UDOO Board? I can use the newest small Android Board, connecting it to an Arduino board via USB, that's it... working. And then I don't have to wait for UDOO updates. UDOO have to give a bigger benefit as a 2 board solution, but at this time... what I can see is problems, no Updates, no ETA. And that's the reason for the very small community. Not enough support.

As I said at the beginning, that's ok, but not for your product, and for user projects. They are searching for other solutions, with less problems. Maybe the new pcDuino V3 with Arduino Shield socket. I will take a look.

12. delba

Don't worry, we're working as we speak to fix bugs on Android 4.3. The new release will be available very soon.

13. iwanblack

iwanblack New Member

is it now possible to shut it down on android?

14. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Actually no, it's not possible.

15. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Any progress on this yet? Udoo Quad with Android 4.4.2 running, still no power button functionality. What an amazing amount of faults in this system. Bravo for creating such a versatile board, but it's almost too inconvenient at times.

16. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear zak,
    no update on this topic. At the moment as you can imagine we're behind UDOO Neo development and the last beta of UDOObuntu 2 for the other UDOO Boards.

17. idorel77

idorel77 Member

You shuld fix the problems and help people to understand how to add accesories , add more updates like on the other freescale forums ...... before you make a new board ''Neo'' .
    other freescale imx6 boards have already from few mounts android 5 ...

Maybe you shuld teach us how to take sourse code from freescale and how too add patch suport for udoo, will be easy.
    And more ''how to'' topics.

I told you, this android forum is dying..... Thake last 3 mounts and told me how many people you helped on this forum?

I can see topics on android forum with thousends of wiews (people still waiting some bug fixes) , topics with problem unsolvable..

In my opinion your managemant is 0 .