How to install apk on UDOO

Discussion in 'Android' started by jimmnh, Oct 12, 2013.

1. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

2. firehopper

firehopper Member

Re: UDOO Dual booting Android

load apps via adb?

3. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

ADB. Sorry, that's not coming together in my head right now (happens as we get older). What is ADB please?

4. firehopper

firehopper Member

android debug bridge
    from what I read its compatable with the udoo. I dont remember where I read it atm. but you can use adb to load apps and stuff on a android phone.

5. firehopper

firehopper Member

6. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

Ah. Yes. Thankfully UDOOs appeared to have shipped with a jumper already on J2 (otherwise I'd need to dig around for one). But the Android image doesn't appear to have a file manager in the image. apks often require a security change to run with launcher. And I'm not even 100% how to find the .apks I'd put there without a file manager to use after exiting USB debug. Unless you're thinking of doing this from the SDK?

7. firehopper

firehopper Member

maybe thats something that can be included, or maybe they can include the google play store.. where one can download such..

8. andcmp

andcmp New Member

You can use the ADB to push and install apps but I must admit that this isn't the easiest way. With a file explorer app pre-installed you would be able to install .apk from an external USB drive for example. This is something we're going to take in consideration with the next Android OS image release.

For you info, we're also looking for the possibility to be certified for the Google Play so you'll be able to download apps from the official store.

Hope this help!

9. firehopper

firehopper Member

awesome news, this means I might also mess with the android image along with linux.. I cant wait.. :)

10. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

@andcmp - That's welcome news. Perhaps a build with GApps and one without? Although honestly GApps is only about 16MB I think so not bad either way. <update> Thumbs up for full Google Play here.

Another thing to look at with the simpler file explorer installed is that right now OTG android debug <update> runs in Media Server Mode but doesn't actually show the file system. And, after successfully getting a File Manager .apk onto my UDOO, the Downloads app doesn't seem to have a directory either. Although it was nice to see some of the directory and file structure it's like these things aren't mapped properly. And after using ADB for hours trying to get various APKs on my UDOO I can say .. yeah .. loading via ADB is a serious hit or miss pain in the [BEEP]. Problems with incompat apks, errors like INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES, downgrading to JDK 6, signjar and zipalign, keytool.... Yeah. That wasn't fun at all.

Thumbs up for full Google Play here.

11. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Google Play certification is something we are going through, but isn't that easy and it will take a while. Until then, no GApps on UDOO.
    The ADB method, although requires some skills, works pretty well.

We are evaluating also "non official stores" like Amazon App Store or SlideME as a temporary workaround, but again, there's something we need to fix in the partition scheme. @jimmnh

12. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

No GApps no Hangouts. :-( I was really hoping to load Skype or Hangouts on this. But without GApps Hangouts won't work in Android img. And I can't think of a way to get Chrome onto the Ubuntu img to load Hangouts. Chrome is available for Ubuntu but seems to be for i386? Thoughts for Skype or Hangouts on the Android or Ubuntu img? Sorry, after trying to load GApps for 4 hours last night my head is spinning. Got half of the apks for GApps but the other half (Login and Services) didn't like the certs no matter how I tried to recert them in JDK. APKs that don't require GApps seemed to load Ok via ADB, but that's kind of limiting.

13. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

Another reason for wanting GApps. Combine Tasker by Crafty Apps with UDOO and things could get interesting quickly. But Tasker requires Google Maps which I believe requires GApps. :-(

14. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

If I'm looking at this wrong and someone has a way to load Skype or Hangouts on UDOO (any img) or something like Tasker or knows of a set of GApps that runs on UDOO .. please .. let me know. Right now I'm out of options but still thinking.

15. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Changed topic's title to How to install apk on UDOO which is more explanatory of the topic we are discussing here.

16. andcmp

andcmp New Member

I'm sorry jimmnh but at the moment there are no chances to have GApps on UDOO, at least until we figure out how to be Android certified.

17. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

And that's ok now. I appreciate the responses. I realize this is a very young project at this point and there is a lot for the project team and development community to spin up on .. and that takes time and effort and expertise.

I suppose I'm asking at this point in order to align my expectations with the path of the UDOO team and development community. Today's announcement of being able to program the Arduino side from the iMX6 side is a great announcement and will get things moving nicely. It's not how I pictured the end game but it's a great start. I already have a computer that can program an Arduino board, but it can't speak to an OS on the same board (like what is available on UDOO) that can work with the other ports like wifi and audio at least not without shields.

Where I see this going, and perhaps this is where I need to realign my thoughts if in fact it's not the intent of the team, is an OS side that offers more than a self contained scripting environment that can write to and read from the chipset sitting next to it .. though to be fair that is good on it's own. I see something like commercial level apps like Tasker being able to communicate with the Arduino side (what I'll refer to .. probably unfairly .. as the bank of sensors, servos, etc) and then interact with things like Google Maps or Speech Recognition or Hangouts on the OS side. In example, Tasker setting up and reading for a GPS bubble that, once the board enters it, fires up certain events (sensors, servos, etc) on the Arduino side and based on that data tells Tasker to start a Hangouts app "live" broadcast or send a Twitter feed or start a Lapse It capture from an installed OV5640. Or, in another example, use Google Voice captured by AutoVoice to send commands to the Arduino side (sensors, servos, etc). Therein allowing UDOOers to integrate commercial grade applications that people know, recognize and use daily, to interact with respond to and communicate with the possibilities on the Arduino side.

I can't tell you how exciting a mix this would be when I see what's happening with say "Urban Sensor Hack" over on Make. Imagine creating a remote self navigating unit that could motor to a location and simply tell the Android side to fire up a Hangouts session and start sending sensor data via Twitter when it gets there .. all with the UDOO board at the heart of it and really making it possible.

So I guess my last questions in this thread are .. am I off my rocker? Is that kind of marriage between commercial grade apps communicating with and integrated with Arduino components likely to happen? There is some movement in Linux ARM apps but I don't see it getting the kind of momentum needed for commercial grade app development .. it doesn't appear the intent. So the real possibility here seems to be on the Android side of the house. And like I said, I just want to reality check my thoughts at this point and align my expectations.

I do appear to be able to get the Tasker .apk since I have a very early license which will give me a clean .apk to load on UDOO Android without GApps required. And if others know of a library of legit/legal .apks out there that can load without GApps or other Market requirements that would be most helpful to post in response here. This appears to be a good place to start. Thanks again for sharing the vision of the team.

18. Controls Guy

Controls Guy New Member

That's the way I've been looking at it too, @jimmnh.

For example, I have an application right now that requires multiple channels of [somewhat] high speed counting. No problem with an ARM/arduino microcontroller. But...I also want to create a web server and local UI in the same device. Also doable with a conventional MCU, at least to the degree that I need, but not simultaneously with the counting. For counting, you need to be running on bare metal; as a web server you want to be running an OS.

So then the next thought becomes to split the load; dedicate two CPU's to the two portions of the task, which either by their different nature (if needed), or simply by being separate, can each do a good job at their part of the task.

Those are the kinds of applications I anticipate UDOO being a good fit for.

19. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

@Control Guys. Yes. The Arduino doing the sensor work and communicating with and interacting with the user and UI on the iMX6 side. Thanks. I see tons of potential and it is so close I can "taste" it .. and thankfully not cause there's smoke coming from a popped capacitor ;-) . Right now the GApps integration (and the Market apps that therein require it) is a dead end so I'm heading down another path until that is worked through (though I am getting really close to getting that up and running as well).

On those other paths.
    (a) I found http://www.androiddrawer.com/ which I didn't know existed before. It has many APKs which are difficult to find outside of xda and appear to be legit packages. If anyone knows of similar resources please let me know. I was able to ADB load and run Maps and Skype without issue on the UDOO last night (yeah :) small victory).
    (b) Also kind of excited about ArduinoDroid and ArduinoCommander projects on Google Play that I just found .. though they too are on Google Play and I'm not seeing their APKs in the wild though they do appear to be free apps. At this point these things appear to require USB/OTG connections (the thought being you use your phone/tablet to program your Arduino) so it's close to the UDOO Ardunio IDE that was just announced but since the chips are sitting on the same board I'll need to see if I can get them to talk.
    (c) There is also a Debian ARM apps library http://packages.debian.org/stable/. And they have some nice stuff one might be able to leverage from the recently announced UDOO Arduino IDE but, like I stated earlier, I doubt Debian ARM development will ever see support/development of major commercial apps so integration with those I don't see likely. Again, on the Android side you have those commercial apps and ability to work/integrate with them through packages like Tasker or Google's own "Intent".

Please, anyone, chime in with other thoughts or resources.

20. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Getting into gstore would be huge.