OpenElec on Udoo?

Discussion in 'XBMC' started by Viper780, May 5, 2014.

1. salouma

salouma Member

@noxtarb, i sent you the result of minicom in private message. I still not understand why the booting process don't work.

Thanks for your help !

2. MagneSk

MagneSk New Member

@ salouma I also had boot issues with several cards today.
    It turned out to be the monitor. I tried to use a normal 1600x1200 monitor and it didn't boot.
    When I (finally) connected to a 1080p monitor, all cards booted...

3. notxarb

notxarb New Member

steve15182 - Can you try using a Linux of some sort? While I was trying to get it to work, it didn't want to boot using the boot.scr if it was on a FAT formatted disk. I had to alter the script to format the card with ext4. Unless you can get parted and ext-tools on OS X, I think you'll need to use a linux of some sort. You might look into something like Homebrew or Macports to see if they have the tools. I think it might be easier to launch a VM running Linux to do it.

4. salouma

salouma Member

I tried with my TV and videoprojecor and can't boot with any of them..

5. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

Strange, I can use both of my LCD screens without problem (both in 1920*1080)
    It's the best openelec/xbmc distro for udoo so far...

6. abektes

abektes New Member

wow, nice, i ll check the image this week.

7. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

FOA, thanks to notxarb for his great work. We tried the image and works like a charm, no issues whatsoever.
    We think that the only issue is with the U-boot used on the distro. UDOO needs a slightly modified U-boot than the one inlcuded in the script. Plus, U-BOOT on UDOO are different for DUAL and QUAD versions.
    To get it working use these U-boots:
    http://download.udoo.org/files/UDOO_Uni ... boot-d.imx

http://download.udoo.org/files/UDOO_Uni ... boot-q.imx

We are also preparing ready to flash SD Card images, since this is quite a stable unofficial version, waiting for the official version to be ready!

8. frankalicious

frankalicious New Member

I wanted to try LiveTV on the Udoo. But when I enable LiveTV in XBMC and start the tvheadend addon I get a connection lost message for the pvr frontend.

Since notxarb released the sources with his changes on https://github.com/notxarb/OpenELEC.tv/tree/udoo, I thought I give it a shot.

But when I try to build it failes complaining it can't find the linux sources.
    Code:
    --2014-09-02 19:01:32--  https://github.com/mtx512/linux-imx/archive/linux-3.10.17.tar.gz
    Resolving github.com... 192.30.252.129
    Connecting to github.com|192.30.252.129|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
    Location: https://codeload.github.com/mtx512/linux-imx/tar.gz/linux-3.10.17 [following]
    --2014-09-02 19:01:33--  https://codeload.github.com/mtx512/linux-imx/tar.gz/linux-3.10.17
    Resolving codeload.github.com... 192.30.252.147
    Connecting to codeload.github.com|192.30.252.147|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2014-09-02 19:01:34 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Any hints appreciated.

What I also don't understand is why is the script trying to get the sources from mtx512 instead of the notxarb tree from https://github.com/notxarb/linux-imx

9. salouma

salouma Member

So i unplugged the HDMI at startup and I am now able to boot.

If HDMI is already plugged when I restart the udoo = no boot.

So this issue still have to be investigated especially now with the ongoing official support.

However I want to say thank you to noxtarb because the work done is really great. The image is pretty small and run smoothly.

I just discover it maybe we will find bugs (probably) but my first impression is really good !

10. punk45rock

punk45rock Member

Has anyone managed to get the openelec addons/unofficial addons repos working yet? Or compiled the tvheadend server and a torrent client? I tried a while back but kept getting errors during compile.

11. tdavis

tdavis New Member

One thing I noticed - you MUST use a 1080p capable TV or monitor to use this. It's been hardcoded to use 1920x1200@60hz..

12. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Ok guys we built an image with notxarb's OpenElec build. We added the official U-boot which should solve the resolution issues you guys are reporting. You can grab the image (only for QUAD, for DUAL we have residual issues) here:
    http://download.udoo.org/files/UDOO_Unico/Quad_img/OpenElecUnofficial_img/OpenElecUDOOQuad.zip

And flash it as usual. Please test it and report what's working and what's not. So we can fix it and optimize it, until official OpenElec distro arrives (which should be not that far away)...
    Enjoy and huge thanks to notxarb!

13. millemille

millemille New Member

Thanks for that! Works fine so far. I am missing the option to enable HDMI-passthrough audio though...

14. aws505

aws505 New Member

Hello,

I've been working with the Udoo Quad for quite some time now and have tried various flavors of XBMC implementations on the machine. I downloaded the latest OpenELEC version (liked above) today and find that it's working quite well as a media center. The video playback seems very smooth, it's worked with and detected all the hard drives I've put into it and it's quick and responsive.

I would like to modify the media center, though. The first step, for me, is usually to shell into my media center and install drivers allowing for an XBOX controller to be used with the machine. The first thing I noticed, though, is that the OpenELEC machine seems to drop the WiFi connection quite easily: I keep getting kicked out of my shell. Once I get kicked out, I find that I'm unable to even ping the OpenELEC machine. Does anyone have any patches for this WiFi connectivity issue? I find that if I disconnect and then reconnect the connection it works just fine. Once the OpenELEC machine drops the connection, it still believes its connected but other devices on the network aren't able to see it. The OpenELEC machine seems to be having trouble seeing the outside world, too, but I am not sure of this, yet.
    EDIT: Confirmed. The OpenELEC machine can't see the outside world, too. I was successfully scanning for content from IMDB & TVDB for ~ 2-3 minutes before my connection gave out and I was no longer able to scan.

The other issue is that I want to build stuff! In the moments that I was shelled into the OpenELEC udoo, I tried a few commands that would make building programs easier: gcc, yum, apt-get. They all failed. I know that it would be very difficult (and labor intensive) to create a full repository, a la yum or apt-get, but isn't there a way to install the build essentials on the OpenELEC box? I'd at least like to be able to compile programs from source...

Any pointers would be supremely helpful. Thanks for the hard work.

Cheers,
    Aws

15. salouma

salouma Member

@mikelangeloz

The image you send is not properly working, i had a crash at first launch when i scan my video folder. After this crash (screen and mouse freeze) the SD image seems broken, you can't reboot at all.
    I rewrite my SD carte and run it again, first boot ok, library scan = crash again and same problem, SD non working any more.

You solved the problem that i couldn't boot with the HDMI pluged but the crash i had i now more serious ...

16. Rick

Rick New Member

While the OpenElec image works quite OK for me, I also noticed that it crashes from time to time. For me it usually happened when playing larger video files (>= 1 GB). Anyway, when the image doesn't boot anymore you probably have to 'fsck' it, i.e. on linux you can run

Code:
    fsck /dev/sdX1
    fsck /dev/sdX2
    This should fix most common filesystem errors...

17. steve15182

steve15182 New Member

Same thing happens to me. Quite annoying. I have given up on the UDOO Openelec version until something stable (i.e. official) is released. Between the bugs with this one and the previous Yocto image, I just don't have the time or energy to deal with it...

18. salouma

salouma Member

Yeah me too i'm disapointed.

Now kodi support imx6 so i guess the next version will be available for udoo but it's really too long.

The image provided by noxtarb is working so i stay with it.
    Thanks to him

Still waiting gor thé official relase

19. punk45rock

punk45rock Member

20. salouma

salouma Member

Very Nice

Do you have an idea if we can get rsync addon running on udoo ?