Android image for UDOO Quad w/ working SATA

Discussion in 'Android' started by primiano, Oct 11, 2014.

1. primiano

primiano New Member

Hi all,
    as promised I managed to publish all my changes and the rebuilt image which enables the SATA support (and S/PDIF).

Full sources / build / flashing instructions are available on this link:

https://www.primianotucci.com/blog/android-on-udoo-quad

Essentially this image keeps all the partitions but /data on the sdcard, and /data on the HDD.
    I strongly suggest using a SSD (I'm currently using an Intel 320 series). Putting /data on a SSD makes the overall Android system blazingly fast.

Note: this image *requires* both a SD card and a SATA HDD/SSD. It will not boot properly without both.

Happy hacking,
    Primiano

2. Rick

Rick New Member

Nice! I'm curious how the speed up will be. Unfortunately, I only have an old laptop hdd (not ssd) laying around. But maybe it will improve as well...

Thanks for progressing the Android port :)

3. primiano

primiano New Member

the bundled sdcard (a class 4) is terribly slow and I think a reasonable hdd will very likely perform better. however, if you get a class 10 that is going to outnumber anything which is not a SSD

4. punk45rock

punk45rock Member

Is it possible to use an NTFS drive while preserving current data with your image if i modify fstab? I have a lot of data I would like to keep on my 3tb drive.

5. primiano

primiano New Member

It is possible but you need some more tweaking.
    I am pretty confident you cannot put the /data partition on a NTFS drive, because Android need a POSIX-compliant fs where it can set the proper permissions for each app's folder.
    What you can do, instead, is mounting and accessing your NTFS drive in a subfolder, like /sdcard or /sdcard/extdrive

6. punk45rock

punk45rock Member

All good, I just ssh'd into my UDOO and double checked the filesystem. Apparently I thought ahead and formatted as ext4 when I had it set up in my old x86 media center. Thanks heaps for your work. Are the red flashing borders in the official images gone by any chance?

7. punk45rock

punk45rock Member

also, sorry to be a nag, but has anyone managed to get gapps working on this image? I have been trying for a while now and am about to give up and install aptoide instead.

8. primiano

primiano New Member

Red flashing borders are due to "strict mode" being enabled by default in "eng" (as in lunch udoo-eng) builds.
    This should be fixed by generating a udoo-userdebug image (I should have built my image in that way).
    Eventually doing
    adb root
    adb shell setprop persist.sys.strictmode.visual 0
    adb shell setprop persist.sys.strictmode.disable 1

should fix it.

9. punk45rock

punk45rock Member

Thank you, also wondering if there is a way to make /data globally readable after reboot by any chance? All of my videos are are in the root of my HDD and I can't access them without using root explorer. Xbmc can't enter the directory unless I chmod the /data dir. I have tried creating an init.d script and editing init.rc with /system/bin chmod 777 /data with no luck.

10. primiano

primiano New Member

You shouldn't. That would screw up the permission system of Android (each /data/app/package.name MUST have the right uid correspondingly to the app).
    Just mount your HDD in your /sdcard drive.

11. punk45rock

punk45rock Member

Should I make a data partition on the SD card and redirect fstab to that and use the sata HDD as /sdcard then? Would that work?

12. primiano

primiano New Member

yes sounds a better plan. just leave the original fatal.freescale (just add the line for /sdcard) and make_sd.sh will take care of flashing and creating /data on the sd

13. primiano

primiano New Member

Ehm, *fatal.freescale -> fstab.freescale

14. punk45rock

punk45rock Member

Thank you. I decided earlier to try add a 50 GB partition to start of my HDD for data, and use the other as sdcard, now for my 20 hour wait :( can't wait to get the image running again. Thanks again for your work and help.

15. iddqd

iddqd Member

Thank you very much for such great job!!!
    And can anyone build sdcard with spdif image? It seems it's too difficult to me to make it myself.

16. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Hello primiano,
    Thank you very much for this job.
    I use ssd hdd and is very fast :).

Questions is :

1. How can i make backup (img) from the hole sistem?
    can i make with dd metod from sd and hdd separately or is a better solution?

2. I have 120 GB HDD, can i make 1 partition for media(music, movie) and how can i mount this?

3. If i mount the hdd, now witout extra partition, to the mac pc (usb) for transfers music, its ok or i will ''damage'' android files ?

Thank you.

17. primiano

primiano New Member

1. easiest answer is using one of the many Android apps designed for this purpose (Titanium?)
    2. That image, as it is, will only try to mount /dev/sda1. Other partitions should be left untouched. Make it so that the 1st partition is ext4 and is the one you want to use with Android.
    3. You mean at the same time? Not sure how you can easily mount ext4 from mac (try MacFusion). Eventually you could use a usb cable and use the Android MTP feature (which shares the disk in a safe way)

18. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Hey primiano, recently been fiddling with android 4.4.2 Udoo distro which had Wireless adb as an option for the debugging app. I cant seem to locate it on your image, is it included? Am I missing it?

19. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Regardless, I used the OTB port to do what I needed to do and all I can say is WOW to the difference the SATA brings in speed. I was almost ready to give up on a project due to the sluggish speed. Thank you, primiano.

20. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Primiano, any chance of a kitkat or lollipop distro with sata?