New UDOO Website and Community: your opinion matters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikelangeloz, Nov 3, 2014.

1. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

As some of you may know, UDOO's website is going toward a complete rework. We are committed to deliver you a better experience, a more clear layout for an improved information retrieval and a deep structural makeover. We are really interested in knowing what you would change in current website, and how you want the new one to be.
    Which section will you prioritize?
    Which things you think we should focus on?
    Your opinion really matters to us: we are really looking forward to hear your suggestions!

2. TopherT1

TopherT1 New Member

I would really like to see more step-by-step tutorials. I am a new to using Linux and Python but am really interested in learning how to use both to build cool projects. You guys are good at coming up with new ideas but not good at describing how exactly to write a program to complete the project. So please focus on exact directions with examples of code used and maybe even offer suggestions for how the code can be changed to get a different result.

3. techbutler

techbutler New Member

Change to Discourse (discourse.org) as your forum software

4. nicola

nicola Member

I quote here what i wrote in another thread on this forum:

5. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Ok, so far your priorities are:

- Tutorial: creating a better format for the step by step guides + an official thread about tutorials in order to have a stable place to discuss.
    - Add more info in our Wiki
    - More docs

What about the getting started and the download section? Are they difficult to navigate? And the Support section? Is it useful?

6. flighhyer

flighhyer New Member

IMHO the download section is fine, but please fix the search in the forum...why wouldn't you show results if a search term is "too common"? How can it even be "too common"?

I agree with TopherT1, especially for beginners who aren't too enthusiastic about programming and just want to realize a cool project they saw it may be hard to follow if you skip allegedly "simple" steps. Maybe make sure a project would run if you just copy & paste the code (and maybe even provide the code in an easily copy-able format.

I don't want to tread on anyone's toes, but I sometimes find myself thinking that your blog posts could be a little more "serious" or "professional". It's not like I have a problem with your writing style, only sometimes it seems you guys are a little over the top, if you know what I mean :D

Lastly, you're page usually is pretty slow to load, I'd love some performance improvements...and a new UDOObuntu release, but that's another topic :D
    Otherwise, keep up your good work!!!

7. Guy Macon

Guy Macon New Member

I have a suggestion. Set up a computer that uses a web browser for blind people and try to navigate your web page by sound alone with your monitor turned off. JAWS is a popular screen reading system, choice, but is costly. There may be free alternatives that will be good enough. Also check the page with a text-only browser such as Lynx. Remember, your most important visitor is completely blind -- Google.

8. delba

Well yeah, the search in the forum needs to be fixed!!!!

About the projects section check this out: http://www.udoo.org/were-on-hackster/
    About the tutorial section: wait for it (but thanks for the suggestions :)

We know our bloggers can be "over the top" sometimes, but that's the beauty of them. Btw we appreciate your sincerity, next time we'll try to be "more serious".

PS: We'll improve the website performance, don't worry ;)

9. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Maybe we need more help, not a new forum/ community - website.
    Don't waste your time with a new face, help oss.
    I have the board from 8 mounts and i can't use it. (i want to use in my car)
    Search on forum and you will see that meny people unhappy who want to sell their boards.
    Wee need android update and buf fix, not an unusuable new forum.
    Nobody know how to calibrate a simple touchscreen or how to use a serial gps on android.

When you sell the board you should post .

Not working power buton
    Not working sata on android (now working thanks to primiano)
    Wifi are poor signal
    Wee don't offer support, only 1 time on every 6 mounts(if is somting easy).....

Im very disappointed .
    Im tired to look every day on forum , (some news, maybe an answer ) ... nothing , every day same ilusions....

Sorry for my english, but you got the point.

10. modjo

modjo Active Member

idorel77 +1

I'm agree with idorel77, don't waste time (and money) with a new website ! Your site is already beautiful and useful ! just add a thread on your tutorial to add comments !
    Read the forum and you can see that some user need your help to use udoo ! For me, and i think for many udoosers, it is more important to have a good support on your tutorial and forum that a nice website ! See the pcduino forum http://www.pcduino.com/forum/, it's design is poor but the forum is very active and the team answer quickly on users problem ...
    For example, i needed to put a message on your facebook page to have a response about qt5 build (not solved for the moment for udoobuntu), it isn't a good think ...
    Now you start an new projet with fizzly (nice product) but you don't have already a good support with udoo, how you can manage this two projects in the same times ...

All day i watch the website (and facebook / twiter) to find news about (my problem) qt5 build, but all days i'm disappointed ...

Udoo is very a good product, but it need a better support ...

11. modjo

modjo Active Member

12. delba

idorel77, we're always focused on help our community and the new UDOO face will not take away time from that. Believe me when i say that we really care about that.

About your concerns:

- I see there are a couple of people who want to sell their UDOO but i also see happy people that work well with UDOO, send us projects and thank us with the support we give to them. The truth lies (as always) somewhere in between.
    - We're working with a new android update. Please tell me what kind of bug fix do you need.
    - "Nobody know how to calibrate a simple touchscreen or how to use a serial gps on android" -> for our touchscreen: http://www.udoo.org/faq-items/how-do-i-set-up-my-lvds/ for the other you got a reply: post10793.html#p10793

13. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Hi,
    Nice try, but nothing to help me.

there is about resolution and video output.... and calibration on ''linux'' not android.

Thanks anyway.

14. PeterZ

PeterZ New Member

Try getting the basics right. Using new Firefox or IE, I get a blank page when visiting http://www.udoo.org

15. PeterZ

PeterZ New Member

The website is back. No more blank page!

16. delba

Yep! We had a couple of minor issues yesterday. Everything alright now!

17. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

The UDOO website now is online again, bugs fixed - the malware attack is (or should be) defeated. If you find other bugs, please tell us! Is some of you still having some bugs or issues surfing the website???

18. Capt Jim

Capt Jim New Member

Udoobuntu V1.1 is posted in download, but is the posted SHA-1 hash correct? I've downloaded twice, including once from US and once from EU and get the same hash, but it's not the one listed on the Download page.
    4C996E14CEF8CD01C750351CB49A6AC53FF197CE
    is what I get. I'll go ahead and use what I've got, but it would be nice to know it's complete.
    Jim

19. orfeus

orfeus New Member

Could you add Tapatalk plugin into a forum? Web browsing isnt bad, but all forums in one place is time saver for me. Thanks

20. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there orfeus,
    you're idea is a good one, we are indeed already adding the Tapatalk plugin in the new website. The forum actually will be completely new.
    Andrea