Large SD Card w/ Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by Slock, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Slock

Slock New Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to the UDOO but have worked with Android off / on over the past couple of years. I wrote a program that would record video for X amount of time and then shut off. That part is working great, however, this requires a lot of storage space.

Right now, no matter what size SD card I write the Android image to, I only get approx. 5 gigs of space. I've tried 8 and 64 gig SD cards, and Android sees the same space with both.

Is there anyway I can get it to see all the space on the main SD card? This has to be a small package, so adding an external drive or stick won't work.

Thanks.

2. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

What's the FS of the uSD ?
    If it's FAT, try EXT3-4

3. Slock

Slock New Member

I've tried a few. I believe the last one was EX2. I'll see if I can find the EXT3 option. I'll report back!

4. Slock

Slock New Member

So, I used EaseUS partition manager to format it into EX3. That went fine, I then used WinImager to apply the image. However, I still get the same result. Where after first the partition was fine, it seems applying the image formats the card into several partitions. The one in the Android sees is marked Primary, but there is 51.81GB of Unallocated space.

5. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

Hi Slock,

Try with SD Formatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ (use FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTEMENT ON). Also, I saw some formatting problems are solved when the format is done with a camera (can't explain why but doesn't cost anything...).

6. Slock

Slock New Member

I will try new software, but has anyone been successful with this? Applying to the image seems to undo anything I do to the card before hand. I even tried making two partitions on the card and applying the image to just one of those partitions. Applying the image still blew away both partitions.

I always end up with the same thing. 5 gigs for the Android, an 51 Gigs of unallocated space. The image also adds several other smaller partitions and makes 3 primary, so I can't even allocate the 51 gigs afterwards without deleting one of those.

7. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

8. Slock

Slock New Member

Unfortunately I won't have a Hard drive attached. :(

Note: this image *requires* both a SD card and a SATA HDD/SSD. It will not boot properly without both.

9. william.wu

william.wu New Member

I use formatter to format my sdcard 32GB , but still get 3.72GB Total space(see attached file).
    have any idea to fully use sdcard size ?

Attached Files: