UDOO System Inter-dependency

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcartaxo, Jul 22, 2014.

1. jcartaxo

jcartaxo New Member

Hello,

I'm considering the UDOO single-board computer for a project that requires precisely the low-level capabilities of arduino combined with the computational power of a small computer. In this project, both computational units must interact with one another, but they need to be independent, i. e., I must have software running in the higher level and software running at the low level (arduino), but if the highlevel layer crashes, the other must remain active, and detect that fail state.

Is this something I can achieve with UDOO?

Resuming: I must have two independent software layers, and one layer must monitor the runing state of the other so it can react when an error state happens.

Best Regards,
    João Cartaxo

2. gionji

gionji Member

Hi,

you can do this using SAM3X like somethis similar watchdog. You can set a sketch on SAM listening for some pings coming fro i.Mx6. For example there's a thread that sends messages once a seconds to SA3X over serial. If SAM3X don't recieve messages for more than a second it means that i.Mx6 task is terminated and you can perform some action from SAM3x.
    With an external wire connected to non-GND pin of RESET button you can reboot i.Mx6. But this is only an example.
    You can define a logging protocol running on sam3x.

Or you can use the watchdog chip present on UDOO:
    http://elinux.org/UDOO_watchdog

Regards

3. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Yep, they can be used as completely independent hardware\software layers! Let us know!