Udoobuntu v1.0 2014-07-04 the end?

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by va-matt, Sep 17, 2014.

1. va-matt

va-matt New Member

I'm very happy with the big jumps the Udoo took with the beta and the v1.0 release of Udoobuntu. Just reading here on the forums, though, it's pretty clear that it's good but not great/perfect.

Are there any plans to update the Udoobuntu image beyond the v1.0 2014-07-04 release? It's been a while, and I hope this doesn't signal that development on Udoobuntu is finished.

Matt

2. jeoliva

jeoliva New Member

Same question here. Udoo team, when are you planning to release a new version of UDOOUbuntu?

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

No ETA but we're working about some camera issues and other general fixes. We'll release something once we've got significant improvements. Stay tuned.

4. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Yes, UDOObuntu will be updated. Still no ETA, we're collecting feedbacks and integrating new tools... Stay tuned!

5. va-matt

va-matt New Member

<crickets chirping>

Wow.

6. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Returning to Udoo quad after about a year, I am very pleased with the Udoobuntu v1.0 2014-07-04 release. It's reasonably responsive, includes a reasonable set of stable tools, and is a pleasure to operate; a quantum leap ahead of the state of OS options available a year ago. That said, the Chromium browser, although snappy enough, is a behemoth fit for a larger platform. Open a few tabs, and Udoo quad runs out of memory.

That leads me to a question. What would It take to implement a RAM hardware upgrade? Are there sufficient address lines for more RAM? Is the address bus able to drive another few GB? Are the required lines accessible from the header connectors, or would such an upgrade require "micro surgery" at the component level. Can someone on the Udoo design team provide a bit of information about how to approach such a project?

Many thanks for the robust functionality and stability of Udoobuntu.

7. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

According to i.MX6 processor data sheets, 2GB is the max for external memory.

8. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

I think doubling the Udoo quad's RAM and having the additional 1GB available for X11 processes (as opposed to system processes) should be sufficient to overcome the current frequent "Out of Memory" errors that occur with several Chromium tabs open simultaneously. In fact, it would appear from the schematic diagram http://udoo.org/download/files/schematics/UDOO_REV_D_schematics.pdf that the Udoo quad was originally designed with 2 GB of RAM like the CuBox-i4Pro http://www.solid-run.com/product/cubox-i4pro/.

RAM upgrading is being discussed in another thread: http://www.udoo.org/forum/post11207.html?sid=4ee22e783271fb3557e6cffa51788edd#p11207

9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi LDighera,
    actually the required lines are not accessible from the header connectors. I think it would require a micro-surgery work like you supposed.