Android 4.4/kitkat ETA?

Discussion in 'Android' started by frudman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. frudman

frudman Member

I just started working on the quad (with Android 4.3) and was curious if there's a plan/ETA to get to 4.4? (I ask because some of the changes in 4.4 are significant to us).
    Freddy.
    note: I'm new to these forums and searched for info on this and nothing came up on 'kitkat' (and android 4.4 was too 'common' to search)

2. andcmp

andcmp New Member

The UDOO team just made a big effort in order to release Android 4.3 with a consistent bugfix list so, although kitkat is in our plan for sure, there not an ETA for that at the moment.

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

As andcmp said, no ETA, we just released the 4.3!

4. frudman

frudman Member

No problem! Just curious.

Glad to be working with 4.3. Also, when I asked the question, I didn't realized you literally had "just released" 4.3. Sorry.

Freddy.

5. vittpda

vittpda New Member

But is there any progress in getting kitkat to work? UDOO has been at 2.0.2 for a few months with no additional updates, The only real thing really keeping me interested in UDOO is the fact that it runs android.>> don't forget! Techie's love updates ;)

6. delba

you're right, techie loves updates... and we're working on releasing a new version of Android 4.3. About kitkat, no ETA at this moment, sorry :(

7. chiefwigms

chiefwigms New Member

How many developers are there on the UDOO team? Because this is honestly ridiculous - the last Android release (buggy) was almost half a year ago - a life time in electronics. You guys haven't pushed any updates for kitkat, and L is already in preview.

I'm curious what the break down of the $641,614 in kickstarter backing was - how much did you guys pocket versus spending on development of software for the platform?

8. idorel77

idorel77 Member

9. tensian

tensian New Member

I also wonder how is this so abandoned... ):
    I've been waiting five months multitouch 15.6 "LVDS Display

10. delba

As i said, not ETA for Android 4.4 BUT we're working on releasing a new version of Android 4.3 with bug fixed.

11. frudman

frudman Member

OK, then how about an ETA for the 4.3 bug fixes?
    Also, will the bug fixes/updates include working WiFi?
    Also, will the updates include working HID-profile for Bluetooth (e.g. keyboards, mouse, ...)?

In the meantime, any way we can get a list of bugs being worked on so we don't duplicate whatever you folks are working on?

12. tensian

tensian New Member

In the meantime, any way we can get a list of bugs being worked on so we don't duplicate whatever you folks are working on?

+ 1

13. delba

Once i'll have the ETA for Android 4.3 bug fixes i'll write down right away.

14. vittpda

vittpda New Member

I didn't mean to cause any negative feedback towards the UDOO team but.. Im beginning to lose interest in the whole device due to lack of use in my house. We're all talking KitKat updates and Lollipop is just around the corner. Is the device going to be capable of keeping up? Is this why there is no ETA on kitkat? is it not compatible perhaps?

15. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi vittpda.
    Actually the device is compatible, there is no problem such the one you are talking about - compatibility, I mean. The porting of each update is insidious, each time you try to port an update there is a problem of which is difficult to evaluate the entity until you are really on that. Actually there is no ETA yet, but just because there is no ETA, not because it's impossible or sort of.

16. idorel77

idorel77 Member

I think, is not somebody capable to take source code from freescale and copile for udoo.

Sorry but is what i think.

17. delba

Thinks whatever you want idorel77 ;) but in the meanwhile we're on our way to prepare the new version of Android, KitKat (huge applause), which will be released after the winter break. If you'd like to give us an hand please tell us so we can contact you via email describing the issues we're having so you can help us.

18. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Hello delba,
    you can find my email on registred users, you are moderator, right?
    I don't want to comment to much, but the silence on this android section is not good for you.
    I hope this update to stop the silence.

19. delba

Indeed i am idorel77. Ok then, wait for my email. I'll write down a couple of lines about 4.4

20. modjo

modjo Active Member

Hi all, after many research i think the better solution to use qt5 on udoo is to use android ! When you talk ETA after winter break, you talk for January ? This release is rooted ? Do you integrate driver for egalax touch screen ?