imx6 Sam3x communications speed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oskar, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Oskar

Oskar New Member

Sorry if this spec is somewhere, but wasn't able to find it.
    I'm somewhat familiar with the arduino Due, and am very interested in the possibility of swapping that out with a udoo!

However, the application I'm looking at would "require" data transfer rates faster than the quoted 115200bps, and also cannot tolerate the USB lag (do to USB poll interval).

As far as I can tell, the udoo has done away with the serial-to-USB conversion that the Due uses for the programming port. And the serial communication pins are just connect directly.
    Does this mean that the serial communications between the imx6 and Sam3x can be much faster than the ~256kbps that the Due seems to be limited to on the programming port? As long as you spec both ends to the same bps?
    Say 512k-1Mbps?

2. jrullan

jrullan New Member

I'm also interested in knowing the maximum achievable communications speed between both processors.

I just ordered my UDOO Quad to replace a custom solution using a DUE and an Arduino Uno with bluetooth connectivity. However, in evaluating candidates for my next project I came to UDOO and Beaglebone Black. UDOO's feature that standed up was that it has near Desktop like processsing power to also work as the Human Machine interface for my project, but my next project requires fast communications between the "desktop" (imx6) and the "driver" (DUE).

The Beaglebone Black has the advantage of having two Programmable Realtime Units (PRUs) running at 200MHz that have direct access to memory. This architecture makes it excellent for the High level software to interact with the low level programs running on these PRUs, without additional delays of moving the data around. The downside is that these PRU have to be programmed entirely in PASM, which for me is harder than programming in C, like in the DUE. And so, UDOO still presents a good candidate to develop the prototype but ultimately the communications speed between both processors will be critical for the project.

3. jrullan

jrullan New Member

Do anyone in the UDOO team care to answer this post? I'm starting to think it's true that there are no team members dedicating time to read the posts.

4. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

baud rate faster than 115200 is possible, for example in this project:
    http://www.hackster.io/mikelangeloz/carmadillo-android-controlled-udoo-rover
    we use a datarate of 230400 beetween the Java server:
    https://github.com/UDOOProjects/Car...rc/org/udoo/carmadillodue/CarmadilloMain.java
    and the Arduino sketch:
    https://github.com/UDOOProjects/CarmadilloMk1/blob/master/UDOO_car.ino

We also tested a baud rate of 460800 and it works with a little of garbage but it could depend of the java library. I assume that with C you can go faster without garbage.

5. jrullan

jrullan New Member

Thank you for taking the time to answer ekirei. I received my Quad just in time for Christmas so I plan on doing some testing by myself and confirm those. Thanks!

6. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Not at all jrullan, if you'll make some tests please share with us your results. It could be very useful ;) ;)