updated udoo kernel?

Discussion in 'Kernels' started by hamidsani, Jan 16, 2015.

1. hamidsani

hamidsani New Member

A camera that I am using for a project requires a newer kernel. I have been using custom kernels for the past three months but they often come with a cost of losing some other functionality. For instance, at the moment I can't control any of the GPIO's or timer compare.

Any news from the UDOO team on a more up to date kernel? Are there any plans to even update the kernel?
    Thanks,

2. tux

tux New Member

I am also very disappointed with the lack of a newer kernel. I create Archphile distribution using archlinuxarm and I am forced to use the generic arm7 kernel, which is ok for my needs but I am really looking forward to seeing a newer udoo specific kernel.

Udoo Quad still is my trusted device for everyday use in my Hifi, but to be honest I feel that the support from Udoo development team is very limited, as the kernel is the most important part of the linux world.

I really hope that this situation changes in the next months.

Best regards,

Michael

3. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Hi Tux, I perfectly agree with you. We are already working on a new kernel, you can see sources here:
    https://github.com/UDOOboard/Kernel_Uni ... .0.0_alpha

Plus, we are working with some amazing guys to have bleeding edge kernel support in the near future.

We were on hold on 0.35 because it was so stable and good performing, but now it has become obsolete, so no question that a change is needed.

If someone has some contribution to do, of course pull requests are very welcome!

4. tux

tux New Member

Hi Mikelangeloz,

this is good news!

5. owspm

owspm New Member

Hello,

Was anybody able to run mentioned 3.10.9 kernel on UdooQ (commit id 09a18c2)?
    I'm not able to get any log from the kernel boot.
    I'm building imx6q-udoo.dtb, setting env variable machid to ffffffff and loading the kernel with u-boot (bootm 12000000 - 11000000) but there is no activity on the serial port other than "uncompressing Linux".
    Looking at the address where the kernel stores its printk buffer, I can see the kernel did start, but stopped pretty early in the boot process. I can also see that the kernel command line is not what I set in the bootargs variable, but is instead the kernel's default command line.
    Is the u-boot from the UDOOboard compatible with the device tree mechanism or are there some tricks to do to make that work?

Thanks.

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi owspm,
    I'm writing to inform you we are near to the release of the Linux Kernel 3.10. We're working on the analog audio driver of the Kernel 3.10, it's the last aspect that needs to be fixed, then we will be able to release the 3.10.
    It will take hopefully a month.
    Cheers!

7. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

owspm, try loading dtb at 0x18000000. Also check if you have console set in kernel parameters.
    And why you need to set machid?

8. owspm

owspm New Member

Hi vpeter,

The reason I need to set machid to ffffffff is because without it, it is set to the old machid for udoo, and the kernel will complain it is an unexpected value.
    The bootargs env variable is correct, with console=ttymxc1,115200n8, but that is not taken into account by the kernel. Instead, the kernel uses its default command line (defined by flag CONFIG_CMDLINE).
    I did try the fdt address set to 0x18000000, but that does not help.

I guess the problem is the way u-boot passes the DTB structure to the kernel...

Thanks.

9. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

Maybe you didn't set correctly bootargs parameter?

I did run this kernel some time back and got progress when booting.

10. owspm

owspm New Member

My env variables look alright to me, but maybe I can't see the obvious:

netboot310=echo Booting 3.10 from net; setenv machid ffffffff; run netargs; tftp ${loadaddr} ${uimage310}; tftp ${fdtaddr} ${fdtimage}; bootm ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr}
    netargs=setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} root=/dev/nfs rw ip=${ipaddr}:::::eth0 nfsroot=${serverip}:${nfsroot},v3,tcp video=${video}
    console=ttymxc1
    baudrate=115200
    video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1280x720M@60,if=RGB24
    bootcmd=run netboot310
    loadaddr=0x12000000
    fdtaddr=0x11000000
    fdtimage=imx6q-udoo.dtb
    uimage310=uImage-udoo-3.10.9

11. owspm

owspm New Member

Debugged further and I realised the DTB structure was corrupted. Indeed fdtaddr = 0x11000000 is too low an address to be safe.
    Now my bootargs are correctly interpreted by the kernel and I do not need to set machid.
    However the kernel stops still before the serial driver is initialised, so I can only look at the kernel logs by dumping __log_buf from u-boot.

vpeter, were you successfully booting the 3.10.9 kernel from https://github.com/UDOOboard/Kernel_Unico.git?

Thanks.

12. owspm

owspm New Member

Hi Andrea, that's great news!
    Will that be based on Freescale 3.10.53, 3.10.31 or 3.10.17?
    Whichever that will be, I'll be glad to update my git tree :)

13. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

Yes, it was booting just fine.

But I was mainly interested in vt1613 analog output driver which doesn't work there yet. And I was always using u-boot 2013.10-rc4 and u-boot-2015.01.

14. owspm

owspm New Member

Finally got it working!
    Activating DEBUG_LL and EARLY_PRINTK proved to be a costly mistake! It was causing the kernel to hang (don't know why, maybe the low level access to the UART registers was causing some conflict with the problem serial driver).
    Deactivating those flags makes the kernel boot fine.
    Thanks for the support!

15. kendall.green

kendall.green New Member

If you create a linux distro using the uImage and u-boot-{q/d}, do not use the udooupdate.sh to update your system. I don't know how to update the UImage and u-boot system I created using Ubuntu-Core. It takes less than 2GB and has Android IDE, Fluxbox and Chrome.