Android 4.4/kitkat ETA?

Discussion in 'Android' started by frudman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. modjo

modjo Active Member

Thank's for your answer but can you give a procedure to include egalax touch support on your card :evil: !!! or a solution to compile Qt5 on udoobuntu ... I'm sorry but after 4 month and many time to try to compil qt5 or yocto ... and now android nothing work :(
    that's the reason i bought yesterday a rapsberry 2 for 35 $ and i'm sure that i can use qt5 AND my touch screen ...

A udoo user disappointed :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if you've decided to quit your experience with UDOO, I would like you reconsider your position.
    I did a quick Google search and I discovered that the situation of egalax for Raspberry Pi and for other boards is not so good as you tell.
    I would like to share with you some posts, just to show how the real situation is:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... ax#p676801

First of all, as you can see, Pi users still refer to this amateur guide written in 2013:

http://engineering-diy.blogspot.it/2013 ... lax-7.html

But considering the number of people encountering problems, I suppose it doesn't work so well, not for everybody at least. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/searc ... ot+working
    By the way, also in this case it's no different from the service you received from UDOO: everybody refers to an amateur guide which ask you to recompile.

Regarding lack of support,
    it's perfectly normal that some technologies are supported and other ones are not. I'd like to make you consider that this is not a trivial problem - but I'm sure you know that - and there are other things to do, like Kernel improving.

Regarding Android not working,
    I'm sorry you said that Android doesn't work at all, because it actually works great, except the touch screen you're talking about that, as previously said, it's not officially supported.

FInally, to allocate resources for complex tasks with an uncertain ETA we need a critical mass of users asking for that. I'm saying this not to underestimate the problem, but because time is a finited resource and we would like to solve every specific issues regarding not supported technologies, but we can't, not as often as we would like to.

3. tensian

tensian New Member

good solve the problem concerning calibration using the finger instead of the mouse ...
    in case anyone is having the same problem.

4. modjo

modjo Active Member

At first thanks for the time you past for this answer andrea ;) i decided to buy the rasp2 for many reason :
    - official support of qt5 on this card : http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-RaspberryPi
    - the new quad core and 1gb of ram that promise good performances
    - the big community
    - the portage official of windows 10 on this card
    - the price ...

The reason why i bought udoo quad :
    - i realy think that for the moment is it the better card on the market :D
    - i have a professional project that i would like to realize with it !
    - the performances
    - the cortex m4
    - a tutorial on your site to use it with qt5 ... :evil:

About qt5, i think it's a goog investissement in time for you to build it for your card because more and more people use it on this type of card (rapsberry, beagle bone, pcduino, wandaboard ...) ! And can you update your site to advertise noobs that your tutorial don't work on udoobuntu ....

About the touch screen, it works like a charm with udoobuntu but not qt5 ... i have a 15 " screen and i know that you use a 3m touch screen with your screen, perhaps you can give us the reference of this driver for people who want to adapt it on her screen ?
    For the moment i keep my udoo and i'm ready to pass my time to try to build qt5 for udoobuntu but with your help to guide me ...

5. Andrea Rovai

Hi there modjo,
    thanks for your thanks :)
    First of all, our tutorial already states it doesn't work on the current version of udoobuntu:
    http://www.udoo.org/ProjectsAndTutorial ... -for-udoo/
    Regarding drivers, could you specify what you mean by "driver"? Do you want to know the model of the 3m touch?
    Regarding qt5, I saw you opened a survey, nice shot, let's see how it ends.

6. modjo

modjo Active Member

7. modjo

modjo Active Member

Ok, i'm trying to connect my udoo (under kitkat) with my pc under linux (14.04 32 bit) in usb debug mode to program it. I followed your tutorial to switch otg (sam3x to extern otg)

sudo –s
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio203/value
    echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio128/value

but when i'm trying to connect it (debug) nothing appear on my pc or android. In the serial com this appear when i select External otg port on android :

Code:
    android_work: did not send uevent (0 0   (null))

What's happen ?

Other things, is-t it possible to have the reference of your 3m touch for 15" lcd please ?

8. Andrea Rovai

Hi there modjo!
    First of all I would like to recommend anyone to switch otg (internal-external) inside Android, using this method:
    Settings--->Development options--->External OTG port enabled
    This way you'll do it in a click.
    Regarding 3m touch I'm waiting the answer from the productive department, as soon as I know I'll let you know, I promise ;)

9. Suppaman

Suppaman New Member

Hi

UDOO Android is only a standard android based to Google distribution and customized a little for work on UDOO board. This mean if you want to make some customization (like add support for your egalax touchscreen) you simply have to get sources from this site and patch it based to your need. Tutorial or procedure regarding how to make it should be available around using google search (I hope).

Sorry but here I don't understand very well why you need the touch model. Can you explain what you want to do more exactly? :shock:

10. modjo

modjo Active Member

Hi Suppaman, for egalax touch i'm trying to compile the source ... i let you know if i have any success ! For 3m touch, if i have the reference -> i can order it and replace my egalax touchscreen !

Andrea, i already try to use usb debbug with your solution (Settings--->Development options--->External OTG port enabled) but it didn't work ! when i quit parameter section the checkbox (usb otg) is automatically unchecked !

11. Andrea Rovai

Hi modjo,
    at boot it can be shown as unchecked, but indeed it is like it's checked. I mean, if you repeat the process twice or three times it will work perfectly, it's just the problem of a check. It's an issue we will take care of but actually I thought it was trivial :)

12. Andrea Rovai

Hi again modjo,
    I have to tell you a bad news for you :(
    I've just heard that the 3m model touch is a custom model, specifically designed for the 15" touch screen we sell and it's not on sale ;(

13. modjo

modjo Active Member

Hi andrea, always and always bad news with udoo since 5 month .... :!: :?:

I'm trying to use external otg port but it never works (i tried check and uncheck it many times ...)

For the 3 m touch, can you just give me the reference of your usb driver (the card between the touch screen and udoo). I'm sure it's a generic 3m card !?

disappointed another time ! I'm sorry to said this here but i'm very excited to have my raspberry 2 this week end to pass to another thing :?

14. Andrea Rovai

Hi modjo,
    what's my fault in 3m model touch not being on sale? For the other information you are looking for, as soon as I know the answer I'll give it to you. I'm sad you are going to pass to Raspberry Pi 2 :( Hope you'll change your mind!

15. Suppaman

Suppaman New Member

modjo you are looking for an easy and fast solution for your "problem" but there is none, I'm sorry :!: . If you need to have working your egalaxy touch you have to get UDOO android source, learn how to intengrate new touchscreen and do it. Is not easy since documentation around is quite few but is the only way right now. You always have to keep in mind that UDOO android is only a standard android customized to run on UDOO board same as all other android customized to run on common smartphones around in the market.

16. idorel77

idorel77 Member

Hello,
    i have egalax touch screen to and i compiled android from source.
    The intruction for compiling android is not coplete.
    The touch is working but the problem is i can't calibrate and nobody know how to calibrate. The app is not working.
    Sorry but the big problem here, on udoo android section, we don't have an expert (not from udoo team).
    On other board with android , egalax touch working.
    If you looking on the last 6 mounts on this android forum, you can,t find more than 1-2 helpful answer from moderators.
    Is not normal to change the touch , gps , bluetooth, 3G dongle ... just becose wee don't have ''how to''.

Sorry but it's easier to change the udoo with other board.

Yes i bay it the new display+touch, gps, bluetooth ....... and now i have some noise from udoo, maibe will stop working soon .........
    I feel like never i will use udoo with android in my car .......... in my opinion, just becose fix problem is too slowly ....

17. modjo

modjo Active Member

@Suppaman,Idorel yes i'm trying to find the fast and easiest way to resolve a problem, not you :?: Yes i can compile the source to make android work ... but the result is that is not work properly (see idorel77 post) ! I have already trying to compile Qt5 on udoo but with no success (with pcduino, i make it with success : http://pcduino.com/forum/index.php?topic=3694.msg5173#msg5173, see modjo post) . I already try to compile yocto for udoo but same result ... Like you i make some effort for this forum (see my survey on qt5, the message i let on facebook, private message to udooteam to react on this forum ... i cry that delaba or andrea can confirm that :!: ) don't give me lessons, i'm not here for that ! If i'm trying a raspberry 2 is just because there a more bigger community for exemple they only have a kernel for raspberry 2 for egalax : http://simonmcc.blogspot.fr/2013/08/ras ... d-for.html see the last message ...

@Idorel apparently you make success to compile egalax for android, you said that the tutorial is not complete, can you give us more informations about that please ?

I'm sorry but if they don't have more technical support for udoo (how many active members they have on this forum to give technical solutions :?: ) the noobs can't make success ...

18. Suppaman

Suppaman New Member

@modjo: one point you right, UDOO is a young project that don't expect to find here same community for raspeberry that is a product existing from years. The "support" you need (for the reasons I explained before regarding standard android) you can find everywhere (for example xda forum) since your problem is not direct connected to UDOO hardware but is an integration you want to apply to a standard android image. Just post to a random forum for android developers the question "how to add a new touchscreen support to android?" and you'll get the info you need. By the way why you need to recompile Qt library for android? Standard binary arm distribution released with latest Qt 5.4 version doesn't work? (I made this question just for curiosity since never try Qt to UDOO android).

@idorel77: the calibation app doens't work because it detect the touchscreen type and run only if the "right" 3M touchscreen was found. You can look into the app sources inside the UDOO android source package. This because is not guarantee the touchscreen you want to add work (return the touch coords) in the same way of 3M. You can make a try and modify the calibration app for run without check. In add of this if you found some miss into tutorial for recompile android just report to moderators and I guess they'll use your suggestion for ameliorate the documentation.

19. idorel77

idorel77 Member

I tired . Some people don't get the point.

Udoo is open source board not a tablet. If you sell udoo you have to know something about software.
    Android from udoo is not standard android, is modified by Freescale(i'm wrong?) , the calibration app working probable only with touch from udoo&freescale store.
    On standard android is ts_calibrator , but here is missing or i can't find it.

On android 4.4.2 is not working sata ..... why???? The udoo team could ask Primiano how to do it...... maybe to hard or is easy to wait Primiano to fix this.
    I send mail to Primiano and he said will add suport for sata when have time.Thanks Primiano.

@modjo, for compile android you can find instruction on Primiano's blog.

20. Suppaman

Suppaman New Member

Android for UDOO is the standard android distribution released by google with applied patches from freescale for have kernel working with the specific cpu and from udoo team for have board devices working (not all devices as you noted). About 90% of all patched regarding kernel and all other parts like framework and so on are quite untouched. This mean, in my view, that it can be considered a standard android. Do you know how to add the support of a new touchscreen? I suppose no since in case you would not ask here for help. Well, if you want to add new touchscreen there is no difference in working using udoo android compared to standard android since parts to add/modify/change of kernel and framework not involve patches applyed by both freescale and udoo team. "ts_calibrator" is not the standard , is only the most common used library that make only some conversion between phisical coord to logical coord. Same way can be used inside an app without use additional libraries. Just get the calibration app sources and study it if you are intrested to have your touchscreen working. And yes, the calibration app currently work only with the touch provided with udoo since it was deisgned only for it. Supposedly if you need to have it working with another touchscreen you need to develop your own app that can be based to the default one. The problem here is that the people have to learn to work on low level code by theirself instead of continuously ask to other people (Primiano in this case) for have the solution ready and criticize if they don't obtain immediately the solution to the problem.