Booting Udoo?

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by bugmenot, Oct 16, 2013.

1. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

I am curious how to boot the Udoo. It is plugged in to a 12v 1.5A power supply and has a green light when plugged in. But... it doesn't show anything on the HDMI! I also tried pushing the little buttons that say RST and PWR with no luck. The SD is properly formatted to Ubuntu 11.10.

Any ideas? :cry:

2. andcmp

andcmp New Member

A troubleshooting procedure will be released in a couple of hours, then I'll be back to you. Be ready to do some serial connection monitoring, you'll need a usb to micro USB cable.

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

i havent figured the exact details out but i have found that if you poke that reset button it will start to boot up :)
    On most occasion mine doesnt boot just by plugging it in, i hit the rst and it will start.
    It doesn't help the the whole boot sequence is hidden with black and grey screens until the Gnome desktop starts.. makes it hard sometimes to if it actually started.. so hit the RST button and give it a minute

4. jimmnh

jimmnh New Member

Yes, definitely want to wait a few minutes. At first start it didn't seem like anything was happening for me either. But it does come up. We're getting too used to immediate feedback from our PC bios and SSDs. ;-)

5. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

very nice FAQ, thanks for adding it

7. Roberto

Roberto New Member

Received my UDOO today, i'm trying to see any image but maybe I'm missing any config?

Flashed the linux image, debug says its booted ("login: "). If I boot without the hdmi cable I get the errors about HDMI, but I'm trying to use it with a Panasonic TV and I don't get any image.

Any hints? The cable is OK as I use it with my xbox.

8. shaun

shaun New Member

Also had issue with my HDMI cable. Couldnt see any evidence of it booting even over serial. unplug hdmi, boots fine

9. zer0her0

zer0her0 New Member

Getting nothing other then power LED on board. Tried all troubleshooting steps nothing coming up on minicom.

(sidenote: really several pages on how to install a windows gui app, i.e. screenshots of language and readme screens, and less then a page on how to use the linux CLI program?!?)

10. Roberto

Roberto New Member

Now I tried it with an older Phillips LCD (not even fullhd) and it worked. Weird.

11. mkopack

mkopack Member

there were a number of issues with this on the Raspberry Pi boards. There were some HDMI driver settings they exposed on that board to all us to up the output signal power, etc. Depending on the cable and the TV, sometimes you can have just enough impedance on the cable to keep the TV from being able to pick up the signal. It all depends on the cable, TV and device driving the signal (Udoo).

Hopefully they'll expose some settings we can adjust to make it work with our setups in these sorts of situations...

12. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Just received mine. Hooked everything up and installed the supplied Android SD. It looks like it's trying to boot up but if keeps going back and forth between "no signal" and the android logo. I've tried hitting reset but it still won't boot up Android. Am I missing something?

13. josolanes

josolanes New Member

@Solardave1 - to be sure, are you using a 12v, 2A power supply/connector? And the correct SD image?

I had to get my own power connector and initially tried booting it on 12v, 0.65A and it would just boot loop constantly without starting. I also downloaded and flashed an image, I did not receive a power connector from UDOO or SD card (I just bought the board)

I'm not sure if this is necessarily your problem but these are 2 things to look for to ensure they're compatible

14. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

I ordered the complete package fro udoo so I'm using the supplied charger and sd images, it boots fine under linix but not android is I don't think its a power issue.

15. josolanes

josolanes New Member

Ah alright, I'm unsure what the issue may be then - you're right, if it boots Linux there shouldn't be a power supply issue then

16. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

I suspect I received a corrupted sd android image. I can't seem to find an email address to contact them and get a replacement - anyone know how to get in touch? I didn't order during the KS's campaign but off their site which doesn't seem to have a contact. Thanks.

17. Solardave1

Solardave1 New Member

Never mind - if you scroll down far enough under support there is a contact form. Thanks.

18. josolanes

josolanes New Member

That's what it sounds like to me as well. I'd almost consider flashing the image online onto the SD Card, it'd be much quicker, if you have an SD Card reader to do so

Otherwise, here's the contact information I found: http://www.udoo.org/support/contact-us/

19. cjwilson1

cjwilson1 New Member

I am also not seeing anything on my screen when I boot my new UDOO Quad.

I managed to serial debug my UDOO and at the end of a long boot sequence I see the following:

The Troubleshooting manual says if you get this error then:

Check your HDMI cable connection, something wasn’t plugged properly. Your UDOO however will boot properly.

I have tried 2 cheap HDMI cables and one more expensive HDMI cable and 2 HDMI monitors (one older and one somewhat newer) and none of them work. I continue to get the same "HDMI is not ready!" error about 5-8 seconds after the login prompt is displayed.

Any suggestions on what else I should try? Is there some sort of HDMI cable class/speed rating requirement?

Courtney

20. sandybeauty

sandybeauty New Member

Mine Udoo is not booting. I have no HDMI. USBSerial have nothing.I've tried 4 times to rewrite the sd card with no help.Android version also not working.

I use:
    Kingston micro SDHC class10 16G;
    12V 1.5A DC Adapter;
    Mac os SerialTools;
    Ubuntu udoo Quad version and Android Quad version.

what's the problem?!

OK,Fixed it.
    disk2s1 should be disk2. :oops: