VIN pin max current allowance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loki, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Loki

Loki New Member

Hello,

I'm using the adafruit motor shield with Udoo. I'm controlling three motors which in the worst-case (when all are blocked) need a total current of roughly 2 A. The shield can be configured to power the motor from an external power supply or from the VIN pin. According to the Udoo schematics the PSU is directly connected to VIN (more or less, there are some filters).
    Is it safe to take 2 A out of VIN (provided the PSU is sufficient, of course)?

2. TomFreudenberg

TomFreudenberg Member

Hi, I can not speek as an official but we are running at same condition.

At least you should append some Elko and Resistance to secure your circuit

3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi Loki,
    it is always safer to keep the power sources separated, thus it'd better if you power the adafruit shield by external sources. Otherwise, you have to have a power supply big enough, because the board may turns off if you use our power plug and if the motors drain too much current.

4. nicola

nicola Member

Hi, I'm also using a motor with the udoo but it's very small and requires a small amout of current. To avoid problems I put a "big" capacitor between the driver board and the VIN of the udoo as requested by the driver board manual.
    For now everything is working fine but I'm curious about the "Elko". What is it?
    I searched but failed to find an useful solution (I dont' think you are talking about the city of Nevada).