Just a bad review or real issues with the udoo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dexperiment, Oct 8, 2014.

1. dexperiment

dexperiment New Member

Hi everybody, I just recently discovered the udoo board and I am thinking to buy the quadcore version but while checking related info and reviews online I came across this one which seems quite negative:

http://www.mikevanderpool.com/post/76507411679/udoo-board-review-udools-of-disapointment

Has anyone had similar experiences ? I am trying to determine if it is just a case of bad review/discredit from the competition or if there are really known or past issues and, if this is the case, would these have been now resolved? Thanks.

2. modjo

modjo Active Member

dexperiment, i have my udoo since monday, i bought a udoo quad. For the moment i'm little disappointed :| because (like to your links) the specification of the board promise lot of performance and for the moment i not sure about the power of imx6 quad ! I use udoobuntu and for the moment i'm not impressed with it power ! Another reasson, i have a pcduino 1 with qt5.2 build in (i program directly on the board with qt creator / no cross compile), and it works fine under lubuntu. I bought the udoo because i'm looking for better power than allwinner A10 and i think the best spec for udoo, a cortex M3 on the card ! The problem is that the tutorial in the website are not maintained (for the new os, no update !!!) and i have the impression that udoo team don't show often this forum ! On pcduino forum the answer of the team is faster ! i bought this card because i know the programmation of arm cortex M and i use qt. When i show the power of the board (in the spec) and a tutorial to build Qt5, i think this card is for me ! This card have some qualities like the number of connector (sata, usb, jack, lvds ....) and important for me, the touch screen works like a charm at first boot (not for pcduino) with egalax usb controler ...

For the moment i'm waiting for new update of udoobuntu and an answer of the team but after a delay if they not have more evolution i take the new pcduino acadia (with the imx6) i think.

edit :
    I'm just testing the old version of official os linaro and for me it's better, the touch screen works fine and now i will try to build qt5

3. Halloween

Halloween Member

There are many issues with the UDOO boards, and we all waiting for updates since 2 month. There is no support, because the whole team is traveling the world (New York, Rome, ...) and are not working.

I do not know what they are thinking of it, but that isn't good for the UDOO products. It seems that UDOO will close its doors soon (no updates, no support, no customers).

Now I'm using the pcduino boards, and I've seen that a lot of new Hardware boards with Arduino support are coming from different manufacturers...

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

That review is 8 months old. now we got a UDOObuntu dirstribution that is very powerful and performant (check this http://www.udoo.org/udoobuntu-the-offic ... ng-system/). UDOO is traveling of course (is part of the job, you know) but we have people that are working hard to improve the UDOObuntu official and the Android OS. No, of course we're not closing the doors and our http://www.udoo.org/customer-care/ section is more active than ever.

We've got tons of happy UDOOers that are developing amazing stuff with our board and don't worry about the tutorials, we're cooking some great video to show you the power of UDOO.

Last thing: guys If you have any kind of problems with the board we're more than happy to help, just tell us what are the issues and we're trying to solve it.

5. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

referring the review, he talks about Android lagging after the gapps installation. It's true that once the play store is installed the system start to install all the update of the google and non google app so the system is busy and lagging for this heavy task. I suggest to attend about 20 minutes without stress and test the apps. Once this first time procedure is finished the system become smooth and stable again. I also suggest a microSD class 10 for a better experience.

6. modjo

modjo Active Member

Udoo team : happy to heard you ;)

7. nicola

nicola Member

I undestand it's important to have a critical mass to build a working user base. Videos are great tool for to this purpose.
    Another factor a potential buyer will search for, is the support and documentation available. In this scope there are margins for improvement.

In the specific I find it not very effective the Tutorial section of the site. It's impossible for the users to add comments and without your maintenance the tutorials will became outdated. A way to let the users discuss about a tutorial will help concentrate the efforts. The easyer solution i can think is the creation of an "official thread" where users can ask question or add information.

At the same time, the wiki has few resources. For as I understand the wiki is not under your control so this is a limitation. Having at least your more technical tutorials added to the wiki will make it more rich.

Maybe you can evaluate the possibility of rethinking the way you publish the documentation. Something like:
    - the "tutorial" section of you site for the marketing related stuffs like introductory videos and demonstrations of the applications already developed
    - a wiki for more technical documentation like how to compile/install/configure stuff
    - writing new documentation is expensive, links to existing documentation from other sources that it's applicable to Udoo in some degree can be of great help. There are tons of documentation about embedded linux but it's difficult to discriminate between compatible technology.

Anyway, thanks for the great product that you have provided, keep up the good work ;)

8. modjo

modjo Active Member

nicola +1

9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I'm a new enter in the UDOO lab and here's my first post :eek:
    I'm very happy to hear your suggestions and ideas regarding UDOO website :) We are currently brainstorming about future changes for the forum, tutorials, projects etc. but for sure you won't see any radical change in the incoming months, until we fix all these problems once for all. This moment we are working on the projects section. Btw, it will be a good practice for us to ask for your advices and opinions before to make big changes. We want a site designed for the community, so your comments are very precious! So, please, give us some more advice any time u find some issues or something is not smooth ;) Lot of stuff is work-in-progress, we have to sorry, but just stay tuned and there will be a UDOO re-start, just have faith!

10. Halloween

Halloween Member

May 2015... android is still buggy (tested the Android 4.4 version)... and... some functions were working fine in Android 4.2 are now buggy (External Audio Port not working, click sound every 8 seconds, performance issues...). Horrible and unusable.

Tested with 10 class 32 GB SD Card

11. Halloween

Halloween Member

After a reboot the performance issues are gone. And only after a reboot the external audio port is working. You can not switch it without a reboot.

Also its not possible to upload Arduino Sketches from an external Mac. You have to use the J22 + J2 (reset both fast). The patched bossac file is not working, only the original Arduino bossac file (Mac OSX Arduino 1.5.5) is working with the J22 + J2 trick (annoying).

You can not use the UDDO Board with Arduino IDE 1.6.4 (Board: Arduino DUE is not available)

Also Android Settings: USB OTG Debugging Port enabled (after each reboot its: disbaled). You have to enabled it after each reboot, also annoying).

Power OFF Button with Android is still not working!

12. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi Halloween,
    regarding Arduino 1.6.4., you just have to download the Arduino 2 support from Board Manager of Arduino.cc
    Regarding audio reboot, that was the same in 4.2.
    Regarding the other issues with Bossac, thanks for pointing that out. We'll do some tests about it.