where are all the repos? and package manager?

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by DracoLlasa, Oct 16, 2013.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

after finding many applications missing and trying to install them using apt-get i getting errors that package was not found so i checked the repo list in
    /etc/apt/sources.list
    There are there are next to no repositories really setup at all?
    Now i know i can add them, but is there a reason they are not there?

Also it seems UDOO is trying VERY hard to make this device gui based, and my personal feelings aside about that, i dont see a package manager of any kind to handle application management in the gui

tl;dr
    why so few repositories
    why no graphical package manager

2. josolanes

josolanes New Member

I'm unsure on the repositories, but I've added a package manager with the following commands:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install synaptic

This will install the package manager commonly found on Ubuntu and it works like a charm. I've also re-enabled a bunch of the repos from within the package manager and allowed the system to update :). It's still chugging along and doing well, though it did bog some during the update process (writing to SD card and with 1GB ram) as I was also on Facebook and playing with the system in general otherwise

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

thanks.. i tried to install like 3 other packages then gave up i didnt even get to trying Synaptic..
    Just shocked its not there, but thats for the heads up i will use that and try and get all the other things i need.

4. josolanes

josolanes New Member

No problem. I found it strange it wasn't part of the image as well - I expected Synaptic to be a part of it upon startup as well, but not a huge deal.

I wonder if it's a need for apt-get update to sync the packages available with the cache? I didn't seem to have issues with installing packages, but I also installed this immediately using these commands so I suspect that may be the issue. Keep me updated, if you're still having trouble I'll help research a possible cause for it. I'm running the 1.2 image from the 15th that includes the Arduino IDE

5. asvaldr

asvaldr New Member

Is there anything else missing. I installed synaptic; but i can't install eclipse its just a chain of dependacies that are keep missing. I thought the package manager was meant to take care of that..
    Is it missing other key config?

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

Just because you have the package manager doesn't mean there is an ARM compiled version of the software I. Question and in the repository. We had a lot of issues with this early in the Raspberry PI community as well until the Raspbian team did a full compile of basically every package they could find and put it into a repository for us all to use. They basically have a compile farm and every time there is new source code posted to the wheezy servers they run the build on that package and store the ARM version for Raspbian on their repository.

It would be awesome if we could get/do the same for the UDOO. That way we would have an OS compiled for exactly the hardware we all have.

7. asvaldr

asvaldr New Member

Ah thanks that makes sense. Now I assume that means we can't use the Pi's repositories even because we need to be the same ARM type?

8. mkopack

mkopack Member

Different ARM version, so I wouldn't use it.

9. Patola

Patola New Member

My /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
    deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ oneiric main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ oneiric main universe multiverse
    deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ oneiric-security main universe multiverse
    deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ oneiric-security main universe multiverse
    deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ oneiric-updates main universe multiverse
    deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ oneiric-updates main universe multiverse
    Got from my other i.MX6Q devices.

10. pjc123

pjc123 New Member

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but if there is a very limited number of packages compiled for ARM on the UDOO, it is pretty much a useless product at this point. I planned on waiting anyway until libraries are available in "C" to control the GPIO and various other outputs, I start seeing user's experiences on this forum, and for any hardware bugs to be fixed in a Rev 2 product down the road; I went through this with the Raspberry pi, but that is so cheap who cares, where this is a much more expensive device. I must say that I am impressed with the timely release of documentation and user guides.

11. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

its not that it has to be compiled for UDOO specifically, its just that it has to be ARM7 instead of ARM6(RasPi)
    There are many already existing that are universal or already compiled. so its far from useless.
    Going forward since this is such a new product, im sure the UDOO team will be working on setting compiling various other repositories as needed.

I guess my point is that it is far from useless.. it may not be able to do everything anyone can think of but it can do most of everything it was designed to and tons of things that are outside that. My suggestion would be to proceed with what you want and if you come across important stuff that doesn't work bring it up here to the community and the UDOO team. Even then, since most of this stuff is Open Source you or anyone could potentially recompile it.

12. pjc123

pjc123 New Member

OK, bad choice of words. For me, it is just not ready for prime time yet for several reasons. But that is my decision as I don't want to spend yet another year of troubleshooting issues with someone elses product. It was interesting and fun with the Raspberry Pi, but I will give others the "opportunity" to do it this time.

13. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Yes that is very true, but i think its also an important message.. this is a new product, and like most of its nature, the kickstarter was a means to get the initial development going and build the community. I dont think the intention was ever to deliver a 100% retail consumer ready device out of the gate. The intent was to get the hardware work out of the way, most of which is now done, build the community, on its way, and continue to develop and improve the software, which is where a lot of the UDOO team focus is right now.

You're right in comparing UDOO to the early days with the RasPi, but both will share a key component, the community.

The RasPi would never have become the huge monster it is today without the community that grew behind it. UDOO will need the same thing.
    That said i do understand your point, and you're right it may not be ready for you, and you dont have to fix that. What is important is that as part of the community just make sure you are communicating your expectations so the rest of the community and the UDOO team know what is being desired. If you find things you can't do but want or need to, start a thread and see where it goes. If its feasible you may not have to participate is actually making it better or work if you really dont want to , but others likely will, or at the very least you find out its not possible or something.

14. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

Interesting thread that I think I've already read several years ago with the Motorola Xoom tablet and Android 3.0 :cry: .

15. celtic762

celtic762 New Member

Thanks so much! I tried this and got a tonn of stuff. :D

16. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Synaptic will be pre-inistalled in the next release of Ubuntu image (1.3).

17. Robbob

Robbob New Member

hello, 1.3 is out but synaptic ins't in it :(
    I am having a hard time getiitn the updates from ports.ubuntu.com can i get them from somewhere else?
    the connection is really slow and dies out :(

18. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

yea i noticed it wasn't included also..

@Robbob, i have not had any slowness on my side, but having synaptic or not won't help that, it will go to the same source as aptitude (apt-get)

19. Robbob

Robbob New Member

@ DracoLlasa Yes I know :) I'm trying to install synaptic. :) among other things. But i can't get all the update done or once it is done if i try to install synaptic it says something about missing or uninstalable depedencies :(

20. Robbob

Robbob New Member

finally got it to work. i used the option to only download the packages and not to unpack and unzip them.
    now to get more repos... :)