Can RJ45 port be added to Dual Basic?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sky, May 22, 2015.

1. sky

sky New Member

I ordered and received a Dual Basic, but at the time the order was placed, I neglected to confirm that the Basic was the board I was intending to buy, ie I need my board to be able to join a network and connect to the web. With that said, the Dual Basic does not have the wifi or Ethernet port installed, but I do notice that the socket to add an RJ45 is on the board, so is it as simple as soldering on a new RJ45 port?

I am in communications to see if I can send back the Dual Basic to upgrade to a plain Dual or the Quad, but if not, I wish to see if I have other options available. If I don't have options, I will then have no need for this Udoo and have spent the money for nothing.

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi sky,
    when did you purchase the Dual Basic?

3. sky

sky New Member

I placed the order last week sometime and got the Dual Basic roughly 3 days prior to this posting. As stated, I am communicating with the Udoo people about possibly trading it in for a regular Dual or Quad if possible, but I want to know if I have options outside of that in the event the Udoo people say no.

4. sky

sky New Member

It doesn't appear that the Udoo people will allow me to upgrade from the Dual Basic, I am bumping this thread up the queue in hopes that someone can advise on my original question, can I solder an RJ45 connector to the Dual Basic to add networking? If no, I just bought a computer that can't get online.

5. robertkjonesjr

robertkjonesjr New Member

When I go to 'shop' its very clear this device does not have wired or wireless network interfaces. Sorry you bought the wrong part for your needs.

I don't know anything about soldering on an RJ45 but have some options you could try:

1. Buy one of the other boards that has built in networking.
    2. Use a USB network interface. I use both USB WiFi modules (3x on a USB hub) as well as a USB wired NIC to add to the onboard connectivity.

Either of there seem significantly easier than soldering on an RJ45 jack.

6. sky

sky New Member

I am not passing the blame for my mistake onto Udoo, but when compared to the price of Arduino and Rpi, the price is steep, so unless they will allow me to return my completely unused Dual Basic for store credit, I can't convince myself to commit to either option as
    1. involves an added $100+ rendering the first $100 rendered valueless, or
    2. Connecting a computer to another computer to get online, 2 machines, 2 operating systems 2 x the complexity.

This is my attempt to try something new as Arduino is not without it's own many shortcomings. None the less, I am searching for an easy to use board that has a good forum so I can quickly learn it and build my project. For the record, it is my desired project that has attracted me to looking at these boards and because of that, I will find the board that I can best work with for the least price to achieve my project. I do have to learn as I go, and so far with Arduino it has been "not bad", especially for the price.

Udoo, I am yet to experience. If I am stuck with the Basic, I am looking to mod it to gain networking, or find it a nice stack of papers to hold down till I determine if there's any parts I can salvage. I am still at a loss why I bought the one board Udoo sells that does not have networking. I am equally lost why such a board is even made, especially in this day and age?

7. robertkjonesjr

robertkjonesjr New Member

>>2. Connecting a computer to another computer to get online, 2 machines, 2 operating systems 2 x the complexity.

I was unaware that readily available USB to ethernet adapters required all of this! I guess magic makes mine work without it. You may have to compile a kernel, but if you buy this one, I could send you my Linux kernel where I added the smsc series modules. I added the ath9k series modules as well, so that would work if you went wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-USB21000S2/dp/B007U5MGDC
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N-Wireless-Adapter-External/dp/B002SZEOLG

I sense your frustration and most of us know the feeling of having to eat our mistakes sometime. I have crates of parts in the garage... need an old SGI computer? How about a Sun pizza box case... or a managed 3com switch...

Anyway, enjoy your moding adventure.

8. sky

sky New Member

Wow, that is my bad robert. I completely miscomprehended what you originally wrote, I thought you implied connecting the udoo to a PC through USB. My frustration must have my glasses, pretty steamy! Like a dumbass, I even used to use alfa awus wifi dongles with Backtrack 2-5 for testing WEP keys, and your suggestion still went over my head.

At any rate, thanks for the original suggestions, as well as the patience to offer up a second reply!

9. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

Probably it's not just a socket - you are missing lot of other parts too. Like KSZ9021 Gigabit Ethernet PHY and surrounding passive parts.

10. Andrea Rovai

Hi sky,
    you should have received a message, check the ticket please.

11. sky

sky New Member

I received an email regarding the ticket decisions, but there was no link to the tick, nor can I find the link to the ticket here on the site. Can you link me to the ticket please?

12. Andrea Rovai

Hi there,
    you can enter the customer care section by going to udoo.org/customer-care/
    Cheers!