Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 with webgl support

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by sknipas, Mar 29, 2015.

1. sknipas

sknipas New Member

TL;DR Section - Disk image link at end of post.

I need webgl and use of an arduino board for a project and I had Udoo lying around unused since I got it from Kickstarter campaign.
    After almost 3 weeks of trying to compile chromium for udoo with little or no success I gave up trying.
    It seemed impossible as Udoo has , in my own opinion, mediocre software support for such a wonderful board.
    Anyway since I failed to compile chromium as i said earlier, I decided to follow another path.
    I found a disk image for another imx6 board that already had chromium with webgl support.
    So I thought I try to make it work with Udoo. Well after many tries I was finally able to create an image that works!
    Its an ubuntu trusty image with xfce, chromium with webgl, full graphics and video acceleration and working with embedded arduino due.
    It uses 3.10.17 Kernel by jas-mx and nitrogen6x rootfs by Boundary Devices.

What works: Same as stated here -> http://www.udoo.org/forum/kernel-t986.html
    Beware to use CEA video modes as DMT doesn't work. (Meaning no 800x600, 1024x768 or 1600x1200 resolutions)

What doesn't work: Analog sound. But there is sound via HDMI.

All I did was to put the pieces together. All credits go to jas-mx for the kernel, people at boundary for the rootfs image and
    Carlos Giani for compiling chromium with webgl.

Anyway here it is

https://mega.co.nz/#!OxZ1nQjI!IPVwhqSw-C1jye-WqgMfnvmzGmyL7piMzACt_7YUFYY
    or
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qfeqqmgcmu91bw/ubuntu1404Udoo.tar.xz?dl=0

Copy image to a 4gb sdcard and enjoy.

P.S. : I did no cleanup on rootfs so there are many unneeded files and services running.

pdblood likes this.
  2. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Not able to download and install MEGA Firefox extension, which allows download of more than 1GB file. Has a connection failure.

3. sknipas

sknipas New Member

Please try dropbox link. I uploaded the file today.

4. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

Able to download via Dropbox. Thank you very much!

5. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

The Ubuntu distribution UDOO should make the default! Thanks again!

Now, if you could piece together how you did it, others could tweak on it some more. :D

6. pdblood

pdblood UDOOer

Thanks sknipas. I have been using this image for awhile now and it works great! I have an old monitor that I want to pair with it, but it apparently only supports DMT resolutions (the native resolution is 1440x900), since it doesn't work with this image (I've tried 1280x720 and other CEA resolutions). What would it take to get DMT modes to work? Can you point me in the right direction?

7. sknipas

sknipas New Member

I think u-boot is responsible for setting up available resolutions for the kernel to use. (I might be wrong)
    Maybe in a newer u-boot version this will be fixed, as the analog sound.
    I was not able to fix this myself in the first place. I did a little digging in the source code (mostly for trying to fix the analog sound issue)
    but it required a lot of time and effort and so i dropped it.

8. truls

truls New Member

anyone tried to use the arduino? I get the following error when uploading a sketch from the Arduino IDE onboard the Udoo:
    No device found on ttymxc3

9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi truls,
    first of all verify the jumpers position: j22 and j16 unplugged. Then try to upload the sketch from an external PC. If it works, it means it's not a hardware problem affecting SAM3X8E. If it doesn't work, then it regards the SAM3X8E.

10. Apurba

Apurba New Member

Looks like this is the only solution for chromium webrtc. Can somebody tells if webrtc in chromium is working with sound ? And what about serial communication between imx6 and sam3x?