Other OS on UDOO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otpowell, Aug 18, 2015.

1. otpowell

otpowell New Member

How would one go about installing OpenHAB on the UDOO? How are these different operating systems such as XBMC modified so that they run on the UDOO? What kind of knowledge is required? I have knowledge of Linux, BASH, etc. if I wanted to make a build for Windows 10 IoT to run on the UDOO, how would one do that? I'm just curious about what kind of problems you would run into and what kind of things you would have to consider. Is it as simple is making sure you have drivers that support the UDOO hardware and modifying the software so that windows 10 boots correctly? I'm sure there's other things to consider since it runs on a ARM processor. I know I'm probably in way over my head here but would like to know. If anyone could shed some light or give me some links with information, it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fetcher

fetcher Member

Porting another OS would be a huge undertaking, but if you want to explore that I'd suggest registering on the community forum at Freescale, maker of the Udoo's main CPU (i.MX6 chip): http://community.freescale.com/

In regard to OS support, an Udoo is probably around 90% identical to other i.MX6 boards, such as those from Wandboard, Boundary Devices, etc. (I've had some limited success using Boundary development tools.) Unique aspects include the way its microSD-card boot device is hooked up (via SD3 interface on Udoo -- most other i.MX6 boards use a different interface), and the VT1613 AC97 codec chip used for analog audio, which I don't believe any other development boards have. That can be ignored if you don't need analog audio, though. There's some glue logic attached to GPIO's for dealing with the SAM3X Arduino chip also, switching theUSB OTG port back and forth, etc.

3. otpowell

otpowell New Member

Thanks brother, perhaps one day when I get out of
    EE school and have more time on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk