HOW TO: Get the bluetooth dongle working in android

Discussion in 'Android' started by nxocorp, Dec 9, 2013.

1. dzondo

dzondo New Member

Nobody?? Also.. when will be UDOO bluetooth dongle available in eshop?? Its possible to buy it somewhere already?

2. dzondo

dzondo New Member

When you will start with selling that USB BT dongle?

3. dzondo

dzondo New Member

No answers... It look like its TOP SECRET !!!!! :eek: :shock:

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

You can use any USB BT dongle. We're not planning to sell our own dongle in UDOO shop.

5. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Any news on the Bluetooth issue?

Fresh Android 4.4.2 install here on Udoo Quad, but still cannot seem to figure out the bluetooth issue. Bluetooth attempts to connect, with no success, and when trying to toggle bluetooth in settings, it switches to On then immediately to Off. I have done numerous installations of Android without bluetooth success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

That's a standard USB dongle. Please, verify if the dongle works on another computer, and please, verify also if the USB ports of UDOO work by attaching a mouse or whatever.

7. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

All USB ports work fine with mouse keyboard etc.. attached. Currently I have the Bluetooth dongle shipped with the Udoo Quad hooked to the 3rd USB attachment with no success. Blue light comes on, Bluetooth seems to want to connect, but never quite makes it. The dongle works fine on my laptop and Windows PC.

Could the dongle be faulty? Or the USB attachment? I've ordered a new dongle which should arrive in the next day or so, hopefully it fixes the issue otherwise I'm out of ideas.

8. Andrea Rovai

Dear zak,
    let us know. Your problem is really weird and to me it seems tought to understand the reason of this behaviour. I hope I'll have more news in the upcoming days

9. idorel77

idorel77 Member

I have usb bluetooth 4.0 Hama and working on android 4.4.2.

10. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Andrea, sifting through all of the Udoo forum posts, I've come across a few other users who have described a similar problem of the Bluetooth being turned on and then immediately turning off. It seems those threads died out and answers were never found, I'm assuming they gave up. I have a few more ideas to try to fix it, but other than that, I'm afraid I've hit a wall in my project which is unfortunate. I will post an update once my new BLE dongle arrives. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Just seems strange that the dongle which was shipped with my Udoo would not be working? Very strange.

11. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Update: Used an alternative Bluetooth LE dongle and problem solved. Bluetooth is now working flawlessly. I suppose the BLE dongle shipped with my Udoo was faulty.

12. Andrea Rovai

Dear zakpucci2,
    I'm trying to understand the reason behind your problem because I don't want you to think I'm giving up. We've just tried it out and it works out-of-the-box, at least works for us. According to the release note you can find in Downloads in the Android section the Bluetooth dongle is supported in Android since 2014-1-30. Could you please try to reflash Android in your board and verify if it works? It's truly weird that the Bluetooth dongle works on other laptops and not on UDOO, given that you verified that you don't have problems with your USB ports. So it has to be software-related.
    Waiting for your answer,
    Cheers

13. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Andrea,
    I have flashed Android 4.4.2 at least a dozen times specifically thinking it would fix the bluetooth issue, but it never has. Immediately upon switching out bluetooth dongles, the problem is 100% solved.

I even retried flashing android an additional time and trying the bluetooth dongle again with no results. Bluetooth continues to switch from on to off and never sticking.

Upon replacing the dongle, bluetooth works flawlessly.

I am as stumped as you are as to the cause.

14. Andrea Rovai

But you confirm the dongle works on your computer, do you? Does it work good, or does it give you problem anyway?

15. zakpucci2

zakpucci2 New Member

Works just fine, blue light is active, bluetooth connects immediately. When used on the Udoo Quad with Android, blue light is active as well, but with no possibility of Bluetooth Connection. Switching out dongles comes with no issues thus far. Tried two alternate dongles and both work immediately.

16. Stephane Berginz

Stephane Berginz New Member

Hi,
    I just went through tis discussion and I have a similar issue.
    I bought two Bluetooth 4.0 dongle that work on computer.
    With one "Maxxtro" it works immediately using UDOO. I can switch on Bluetooth and see Peripheral that Advertise around.
    But using the 2nd one a "Targus ACB75EU", I have same issue that explain above. When I switch Bluetooth ON 1..2s later it goes OFF.
    So has anyone figured out why a certain Ble 4.0 dongle is working fine and not an other one ?

The working dongle is a CSR chipset and the none working one is a Broadcom. I would expect opposite as Bluedroid stack comes from Broadcom...

Anyway does anyone could help me, how could I get the Targus ACB75EU working on UDOO ? BTW it works on RaspberryPI with android distribution (Only BR/EDR, but it is recognize at least)

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015