List of known issues and a way to solve them

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Andrea Rovai, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear folks,
    I'd like to collect all the common issues people have with UDOO Neo in the list below, so to work them out and make Neo a top level sbc.
    At the moment there's no list, but as soon as you share a problem I'll edit this post to keep track of everything.

• if you type in the terminal "$ sudo apt-get update" followed by "$ sudo apt-get upgrade" and you reboot the board, it won't boot. [stated by lazerdye] ---> should work now, check please
    • clicking reboot in UDOObuntu 2 does not reboot the board, you have to unplug and re-plug [stated by Julien]
    • problem with Web Control Panel and udooneo.local for NEO BASIC + MAC OS [stated by Vinz87]; CAN SOMEONE ELSE CONFIRM THIS PROBLEM?
    • Bluetooth doesn't work yet, but if you type "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get upgrade" in the terminal it should work, can someone confirm?
    • Screen resolution cannot be modified yet.
    • Arduino can only be programmed internally at date
    • UDOO Bricks must be enabled each time after reboot

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  2. ftollenaar

ftollenaar New Member

I can't get into my Neo! Just installed the drivers (OS X), rebooted, flashed a microsd card and boot the Neo by plugging in the micro usb.. But it doesn't work.

montella likes this.
  3. Andrea Rovai

Please, explain your problem with more details.
    Do other Mac users experience the same problem?

montella likes this.
  4. ftollenaar

ftollenaar New Member

Sorry, Andrea.. I had a bad SD card.

I do have a real issue: using the information and example Bash script in the docs, I can't enable the Acc/mag meter; I just get a "write failed" on
    Code:
    sudo i2cset -f -y 1 0x1e 0x2a 1
    Running a i2cdetect gives me this:

Code:
    udooer@dciphr:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/i2cdetect -y 1
         0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
    00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    60: UU -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Edit: I can access the data by reading from file, but it doesn't seem to be right as my heading is always between 185 and 210

5. Andrea Rovai

Thank you very much for pointing out this problem.
    You are right, you have to write on a different I2C channel . There was an error in the documentation, we've fixed it now.
    So wherever there is -y1 write instead -y3

6. ftollenaar

ftollenaar New Member

Thanks!

7. Andrea Rovai

However, why do you use that script instead of reading directly the driver through this (it's in the docs)

Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/class/misc/FreescaleAccelerometer/enable
    It's possible to read accelerometer data from file:

/sys/class/misc/FreescaleAccelerometer/data
    To enable magnetometer you need to write "1" in file below:

echo 1 > /sys/class/misc/FreescaleMagnetometer/enable
    It's possible to read magnetometer data from file:

/sys/class/misc/FreescaleMagnetometer/data

Avenue33 likes this.
  8. ftollenaar

ftollenaar New Member

For some reason I get strange value doing that... although I just tried with the bash code and it wasn't any better! Not sure why, maybe calibration. I'll keep hacking until I find something!

9. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hello,

I have problems with MacOS too.

I had to use Windows to initially talk to the NEO. I was not able to make the USB network works on MacOS.

I tested it with two Windows machine using Windows 10, one is a virtual machine inside a mac. Both worked. I had to make the USB connection directly available to the virtual machine inside the Mac. Therefore, I believe it is not a hardware issue.

I tested it with a Mac using 10.11, the "boot" drive show up as a mass storage but I can't make the network to show-up. I installed the Mac drivers from your website.
    I have the Mac working with the Beaglebone Black without a problem.

After the NEO initial configuration using Windows, I can VNC into the NEO from a MAC using WiFi not the USB cable.

-Jack

10. ftollenaar

ftollenaar New Member

Andrea, quick question: the way to read data you mentioned (via "file"), what kind of fd is it? is it a fifo or socket (in other words: can I listen to it or do I need to poll it)? And, in what order do the values come in (y, x, z; x,y,z; z,y,x etc)?

Finally (I couldn't find this in the datasheet): should I assume that the IMUs are not tilt-compensated, that I need to do that in software (as well as calibration)?

11. derdems

derdems New Member

@ftollenaar I have a question regarding your initial post. Has your SD card been unusable at all or did it just refuse to work within the neo board?
    I am wondering if SDCards might have to comply with dedicated specs?

12. ftollenaar

ftollenaar New Member

@derdems I got it working after overwriting it with zeros, twice... I think the file system had some issues.

13. derdems

derdems New Member

@ftollenaar Thanks, I'll give it a try…

14. Richard McCausland

Richard McCausland New Member

On your lovely packaging it has four steps. You go to step four and it does not work, the udooneo.local address.

I resolved this by opening terminal on my mac and doing arp -a and finding the neo on my network and grabbing it's IP.

15. Kenneth Coley

Kenneth Coley New Member

Just got my Neo last night. Today, I burnt an SDcard with the UDOObuntu_neo_v2 image file. I have the micro-HDMI connector on my monitor and just a keyboard on the USB port. It seems to take forever to boot, it would be nice to put some dialog message up because I tried like five different combinations, then finally just left if and got logon prompt.

16. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

So anyone made the USB/Network connection work on a Mac? I am using a MacBook Pro with MACOSX 10.11.1
    It should connect to the NEO on 192.168.7.2

It works on Windows even in a Windows 10 virtual machine inside the same Mac that can't connect to the using the USB/Network connection.

Thanks,
    -Jack

17. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

It worked on Ubuntu virtual machine also running from the Mac.
    In summary, I can connect to NEO using the USB created network using 192.168.7.2 with Windows10, Windows10 Virtual machine inside MacOSX 10.11.1 using Fusion, and Ubuntu also inside the same mac.
    But I can't connect from the Mac directly to NEO using 192.168.7.2 The mac works with my Beagle Bone Black like it would work with the NEO.

18. Sebastian Himberger

Sebastian Himberger New Member

Hey,

first of all great work. I had a few hickups.

1.) I had the same problem that the UDOO did not show up as an USB device on my Mac.

2.) Sometimes the UDOO freezes and dmesg outputs "mmcblk0: error - 110 sending status command, retrying". I suspect I have a bad SD-Card but maybe not.

3. When I include <Servo.h> in my Sketch using UDOObuntu I get an error like:

Servo.h [....]: error: #error "This library only supports boards with an AVR or SAM processor."
    #error "This library only supports boards with an AVR or SAM processor."

I don't have the exact line-numbers handy because I am not on my UDOO. Maybe there is just an old version installed? (https://github.com/Robot-Will/Stino/issues/228).

19. derdems

derdems New Member

Some Mac related findings of mine:
    • I work in an el capitan environment, 10.11.1 to be precise.
    • Formatting the SDCard doesn't seem to work with the GUI disk utility version. I followed @ftollenaar 's hint to overwrite with zeros.This option was deprecated by apple in its newest GUI Version of Disk Utility.
    • So use diskutil zero disk [diskname] (double-check the disk name with e.g diskutil list or df -h)
    • I deleted the Partition that was created by the GUI Version, zero'ed the disk twice and used dd to flash the UDOObuntu_neo_v2.0beta3.img directly on the SD
    Next step is the connection over USB from the Mac
    • It didn't work for me neither…
    • I use the old-fashioned way with an ethernet cable. This works seamlessly! I tested both: direct connection to the Mac as well as connecting to my network.
      at direct mode I couldn't use the 192.168.7.2 address but udooneo.local was successfully resolved.
    And Boom! I am in!
    Now the rest of the fun may begin!
    Hth,
    D

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  20. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

hello i installed xbmc from repo preinstalled on udoo neo, audio of video and music set to analog, give out a strong buzz but smooth video ..Instead, the video of HDMI is uneven and the audio is muted.. It seems to be missing codecs.. anyone know how to fix it or how ti install the newer kodi in it's compatible?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk